Welcome back the latest issue of Week in Core, covering changes [40857-40877]. Here are the highlights:

  • 21 commits
  • 25 contributors
  • 43 tickets created
  • 3 tickets reopened
  • 46 tickets closed

Ticket numbers based on trac timeline for the period above. The following is a summary of commits, organized by component.

Code Changes

Administration

  • Dashboard: Better titles for the Recent Drafts widget. [40877] #37595

Build/Test Tools

  • Fix PHP 5.2 compatibility for grandchild methods which expect exceptions to be raised. [40876] #39822
  • Fixed support of PHPUnit_Framework_TestCase as the base class. [40873] #39822

Bundled Theme

Help/About

I18N

  • Improve translator comments for strings in the community events widget. [40866] #40865

Media

  • Fix an issue selecting media when clicking item edges. [40874] #40578

Misc

Networks and Sites

TinyMCE

  • Force urlencoding of commas in URLs added by plugins to prevent warnings about missing stylesheets. [40862] #40893

Thanks to @bridgetwillard, @adamsilverstein, @afercia, @azaozz, @bhargavbhandari90, @circlecube, @dimadin, @flixos90, @francina, @iandunn, @iseulde, @jenblogs4u, @johnbillion, @johnroper100, @melchoyce, @michelleweber, @obenland, @ocean90, @psiico, @rcutmore, @soniakash, @sudar, @swissspidy, @voldemortensen, and @zachwtx for their contributions!

#week-in-core

Dev Chat Summary: June 7th (4.8 week 6)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from June 7th (agendaSlack archive).

4.8 timing recap and Pre-Final Release & Dry Run checklist items

  • Beta 1 went out on Friday, May 12th; Beta 2 went out on Monday, May 22nd
  • RC1 went out on Thursday, May 25th; RC2 went out on Thursday, June 1st
  • 4.8 is scheduled for June 1, 2017 at 9am EDT
  • Events widget looks ready
  • Credits API to be updated by @ocean90 tomorrow morning
  • About page update for responsive, CDN-hosted images coming from @melchoyce
  • Announcement post draft is ready to go; @jorbin & @ocean90 to help provide contributor & language count as input
  • Announcement email being drafted by @matt
  • Codex page to be updated by @jbpaul17
  • Agreed to remove “partial back to IE8” from Browser support page in Design handbook
  • tinymce/plugins/wpembed to be added to $_old_files by @ocean90
  • No new default theme, so $_new_bundled_files is fine
  • Updates to default themes and submission to repo to be done by @davidakennedy, committed by @ocean90
  • Hosts email to be drafted by @jbpaul17, email to be reviewed & sent by @jorbin
  • Systems to be covered by @vnsavage
  • grunt prerelease check for tests & standards to be run by @jorbin

4.8 Bug Scrub

  • Reviewing four tickets in Defects Awaiting Review, reported against trunk section from Report 40
  • #40929: relates to improved translator docs, punting to next minor release (4.8.1)
  • #40932: moved to Future Release
  • #40927: not a regression, moved to Future Release
  • #40906: marked as a dupe of #40685, not a blocker for 4.8

Other News

  • Customize: looking for a new contributor to work on the HTML/Code widget, a good-first-bug, please chat in #core-customize if you’re interested
  • Editor: working to get the plugin in the plugin repo so that more people can review it and provide feedback. Goal is this week.
  • Devchat coordination: will be covered in upcoming devchat

#4-8, #core, #core-editor, #dev-chat, #summary

Week in Core, May 24th – 30th 2017

Welcome back the latest issue of Week in Core, covering changes [40827-40856]. Here are the highlights:

  • 30 commits
  • 27 contributors
  • 40 tickets created
  • 7 tickets reopened
  • 26 tickets closed

Ticket numbers based on trac timeline for the period above. The following is a summary of commits, organized by component.

Code Changes

Build/Test Tools

  • Add a missing class to the PHPUnit 6 back compat. [40854] #39822
  • Remove mentions of HHVM from the test infrastructure on Travis for the 4.0 branch. [40833] #40548

Bundled Theme

Emoji

Help/About

  • About: Introduce design and add link to Media Widgets API dev note. [40849] #40721
  • About: Further polish for Under The Hood. [40841] #40721
  • About: Further polish for feature descriptions. [40838] #40721

Media

Misc

Plugins

REST API

  • In the admin area, ensure the REST API endpoint URL is forced to https when necessary. [40843] #36451

TinyMCE

Widgets

  • Normalize YouTube and Vimeo URLs in video shortcode (primarily for Video widget) to work around ME.js 2.22 bug. [40847] #32417, #39994, #40866
  • Ensure that audio and video files appear in media library browser upon upload. [40836] #32417, #39994, #39995, #40803
  • Supply missing descriptions for instance schema fields in media widgets. [40835] #32417
  • Prevent multiple items from being selectable when first populating a media widget. [40827] #32417

Thanks to @apmarshall @obenland, @hedgefield, @reportermike, @ryelle, @rclations, @westonruter, @adamsilverstein, @apmarshall, @azaozz, @bridgetwillard, @celloexpressions, @iandunn, @jnylen0, @johnbillion, @juhise, @karmatosed, @leemon, @matveb, @melchoyce, @mikeschroder, @mohanjith, @obenland, @ocean90, @pento, @peterwilsoncc, @peterwilsoncc, @Soean, @timmydcrawford, @voldemortensen, and @westonruter for their contributions!

#week-in-core

Week in Core, May 17th – 23th 2017

Welcome back the latest issue of Week in Core, covering changes [40771-40826]. Here are the highlights:

  • 56 commits
  • 75 contributors
  • 70 tickets created
  • 7 tickets reopened
  • 71 tickets closed

Ticket numbers based on trac timeline for the period above. The following is a summary of commits, organized by component.

Code Changes

Accessibility

Administration

  • Fix some HTML validation errors. [40823] #37004
  • Update the docs for wp_check_browser_version(). [40822] #40839
  • Dashboard: Change the cache key for dashboard RSS widget; remove the unnecessary database upgrade routine. [40803] #40702
  • Dashboard: Append the current locale to dashboard RSS widget cache key in wp_dashboard_rss_control(), for consistency with the changes to wp_dashboard_cached_rss_widget() in [33183] and [33192]. [40802] #32804, #40702
  • Dashboard: Don’t trigger an Events search when the search field is empty. [40799] #40816
  • Dashboard: Improve the Events widget spinner position after [40789]. [40794] #40735
  • Dashboard: Improve the handling of locations determined by geolocating the IP address and by entering a city name. Fix couple of edge cases, and some names. [40790] #40702
  • Dashboard: [40789] #40735
  • Dashboard: Combine methods to retreive IP [40781] #40702
  • Use consistent spacing for form elements in the Discussion Settings screen. [40779] #31594
  • Dashboard: Document request proxy for events. [40777] #40702
  • Dashboard: Properly localize data for events [40776] #40702
  • Dashboard: Always pass the IP when getting events [40774] #40702
  • Upgrade: Use correct commit no. to trigger upgrade [40773] #40702

Build/Test Tools

  • Remove mentions of HHVM from the test infrastructure on Travis for the 4.6 branch. [40818] #40548

Bundled Theme

  • Twenty Seventeen: Remove uneccessary return statement [40795] #40516

Customize

  • Docs: Improve phpdoc for WP_Customize_Manager, WP_Customize_Control, WP_Customize_Setting, and WP_Customize_Selective_Refresh. [40804] #39671
  • Docs: Add missing @since tags and phpdoc descriptions to the Custom_Image_Header class. [40788] #21785, #40231
  • Run a partial’s fallback behavior (full refresh) when selective refresh fails due to a script error. [40771] #27355, #40658

Help/About

I18N

  • Dashboard: Use get_user_locale() for the news feed cache key. [40793] #40417

Login and Registration

  • Add some margin to notices on the login screen so multiple notices remain separated. [40778] #39971

Media

Misc

  • Themes: Skip tests if ReflectionMethod::setAccessible is unavailable [40826] #
  • Post-4.8 Beta 2 bump. [40820] #
  • WordPress 4.8 Beta 2 ([40807] again) [40819] #
  • Revert [40807] unbumping from 4.8 Beta 2 back to Beta 1 due to aborted release. [40808] #
  • WordPress 4.8 Beta 2 [40807] #
  • Updates for 4.6. Merge of and to the 4.6 branch.

Quick/Bulk Edit

REST API

  • Fix changing parameters with set_param() for some requests. [40815] #40344
  • Avoid sending blank Last-Modified headers with authenticated requests. [40805] #40444
  • Do not set X-WP-Deprecated* headers as often. [40782] #40787

Themes

TinyMCE

  • Fix selecting the link node after creating a link by pasting an URL. [40801] #40818
  • Editor: When stripping paragraph tags, and there is a <br> at the beginning or the end, merge them and keep the paragraph, not the <br>. [40787] #37066
  • Fix pasting while an image with caption is selected. The image and the caption should be replaced with the pasted content. [40786] #40809
  • Provide styles for link and code boundaries. [40783] #40767

Users

  • Multisite: Handle both role change selections in site-users.php. [40780] #40113

Widgets

  • Further refine WP JS coding style in media widgets code. [40821] #32417
  • Remove core embedding support for WMV and WMA files since MediaElement.js has discontinued supporting them. [40813] #39994, #39995, #40819
  • Clarify some context information for translators. [40812] #32417, #39993, #39994, #39995
  • Remove unused JS variable to fix JSHint error introduced in [40640]. [40811] #39994
  • Introduce isHostedVideo method on VideoWidgetControl to allow plugins to extend for recognizing services beyond YouTube and Vimeo. [40810] #39994, #40808
  • Revert [40251] pending more accessible solution for showing default widget titles rather than using placeholders. [40806] #39909
  • Ensure title field for media widget will update with sanitized value after change event in addition to input event. [40785] #32417, #40805
  • Use “Add Audio” for button in Audio widget instead of generic “Add File”. [40784] #39995, #40797
  • Media: Trim whitespace in URLs provided for external embeds. [40772] #40771

Thanks to @4nickpick, @abhishekfdd, @adamsilverstein, @adamsoucie, @afercia, @arena, @arshidkv12, @azaozz, @BharatKambariya, @bradyvercher, @bridgetwillard, @coffee2code, @coreymckrill, @darshan02, @dd32, @desrosj, @emirpprime, @gma992, @iandunn, @iandunn, @iseulde, @Italian polyglots team, @iv3rson76, @jenblogs4u, @jeremyfelt, @jjcomack, @jnylen0, @joedolson, @joemcgill, @joen, @johnbillion, @juhise, @ketuchetan, @kraftbj, @leewillis77, @LiamMcArthur, @matveb, @melchoyce, @michalzuber, @michelleweber, @mihai2u, @MikeLittle, @mikeschroder, @mp518, @mrahmadawais, @netwe, @nitin, @kevadiya, @nobremarcos, @obenland, @ocean90, @odysseygate, @pento, @postpostmodern, @rellect, @rensw90, @rianrietveld, @riddhiehta02, @rmccue, @ryelle, @sagarjadhav, @sagarprajapati, @Samantha Miller., @sami.keijonen, @SergeyBiryukov, @sloisel, @sstoqnov, @stubgo, @swissspidy, @tejas5989, @timmydcrawford, @TimothyBlynJacobs, @topher1kenobe, @truongwp, @westonruter, and @zinigor for their contributions!

#week-in-core

Week in Core, May 3rd – 9th 2017

Welcome back the latest issue of Week in Core, covering changes [40569-40597]. Here are the highlights:

  • 29 commits
  • 42 contributors
  • 64 tickets created
  • 8 tickets reopened
  • 52 tickets closed

Ticket numbers based on trac timeline for the period above. The following is a summary of commits, organized by component.

Code Changes

Administration

  • Restore missing spinner when installing a new language. [40579] #40478
  • Remove unit and prefixed version from a CSS declaration. [40576] #35358
  • Accessibility: Improve the color contrast ratio of the dismiss notice buttons. [40570] #39970

Cron API

Editor

  • Add wp.editor.remove() for editors that were dynamically instantiated from JS. [40588] #35760
  • Accessibility: Make the Get Shortlink button be a real button. [40578] #26504, #40448

Embeds

  • Add screencast.com to oEmbed provider whitelist. [40574] #38367

Emoji

Media

  • Optionally return attachment id from media_sideload_image(). [40597] #19629
  • Accessibility: Improve the suggested image size text in the media views. [40573] #38932

Networks and Sites

  • Multisite: Fix filter hooks for the updating network count functions. [40596] #40703
  • Multisite: Add $network_id parameter to wp_maybe_update_network_user_counts(). [40591], [40593] #40385, #38699
  • Multisite: Add missing documentation for new $network_id parameter of wp_maybe_update_network_site_counts(). [40592] #40384
  • Multisite: Add $network_id parameter to wp_is_large_network(). [40590] #40489
  • Multisite: Introduce minimum_site_name_length filter. [40589] #39676

REST API

  • WP_REST_Request::remove_header() should canonicalize header names. [40577] #40347
  • Improve strings added after 4.7 string freeze. [40571] #39178

Themes

  • Fix missing search field in the Theme Install screen after [40572]. [40586] #34881
  • Accessibility: Wrap the installed themes search field within a form element. [40572] #34881

TinyMCE

  • Improve adding of custom UI to the MCE Factory. [40587] #40690
  • Fix linting errors in tinymce-obsolete.js. [40585] #40690
  • Remove the pre-4.6.0 tests. Move regression testing for obsolete tags and attributes to the default QUnit tests. [40584] #40690
  • Update to 4.6.0. Has many new features and bug [40583] #40690

Users

  • Multisite: Check only valid looking emails against banned domain list. [40595] #39915
  • Multisite: Validate email before checking against banned domains. [40594] #39915
  • Correct a permission check when showing the User item in the + New admin toolbar menu. [40581] #39252
  • Clear the user settings cookies when clearing auth cookies. [40580] #32567

Widgets

Thanks to @adamsilverstein, @afercia, @alexkingorg, @aryamaaru, @azaozz, @Cheffheid, @chris_dev, @cristianozanca, @danielbachhuber, @desrosj, @dl, @dotancohen, @DrewAPicture, @ENDif Media, @flixos90, @georgestephanis, @iseulde, @jeremyfelt, @joehoyle, @johnbillion, @kawauso, @kraftbj, @MatheusFD, @mattheu, @mikeschroder, @MrGregWaugh, @nacin, @ocean90, @pento, @PranaliPatel, @Presskopp, @SergeyBiryukov, @shane, @slbmeh, @soulseekah, @stormrockwell, @swissspidy, @takayukister, @tfrommen, @TimothyBlynJacobs, @trepmal, and @whyisjake for their contributions!

Week in Core, April 19th – April 25th 2017

Welcome back the latest issue of Week in Core, covering changes [40476-40556]. Here are the highlights:

  • 81 commits
  • 29 contributors
  • 90 tickets created
  • 11 tickets reopened
  • 48 tickets closed

Ticket numbers based on trac timeline for the period above. The following is a summary of commits, organized by component.

Code Changes

Administration

Build/Test Tools

  • Feeds: Remove an incorrect usage of sizeof() in a helper class used during unit testing of XML element handling. [40555] #40109
  • Add Composer files to the cache on Travis. [40554] #40539
  • Backport various recent changes to the 4.7 branch. [40547] #40539, #39822, #40548
  • Remove HHVM from the test infrastructure on Travis. [40546] #40548
  • Remove more unnecessary test skipping when erroneous situations occur. [40544] #40533
  • Introduce skipWithoutMultisite() and skipWithMultisite() methods into the test suite. [40543] #40531
  • More tweaks to the deprecated calls assertion. This needs to be triggered when there are unexpected deprecated calls or wrongdoings too. [40542] #40538
  • Only perform an assertion for deprecated calls and wrongdoings if any are expected. [40541] #40538
  • Move the setExpectedException() method into the WP_Ajax_UnitTestCase class to avoid a fatal error when PHPUnit 3.6 is in use. [40539] #39822
  • Add support for PHPUnit 6+. [40536] #39822
  • Ensure that WP_UnitTestCase::expectedDeprecated() performs an assertion to avoid risky test notices. [40535] #40538
  • Be strict about tests that do not test anything. [40534] #40538
  • Remove unnecessary checks and skips that should instead cause failures if they ever fail. [40533] #40533
  • Convert more test skipping into hard failures. These dependencies should all be present when testing. [40532] #40533
  • Correct an incorrect ms- group name. [40530] #40531
  • Add some locale debugging to the Travis config so we can determine which locales are available to test with. [40528] #40533, #19861
  • Enable verbose mode in PHPUnit so we can see which tests are being skipped, and now that the number of skipped tests has been lowered. [40527] #40533, #40531
  • Don’t trigger a skipped test when the built version of wp-embed.min.js isn’t present. [40526] #34698, #40533
  • Replace test skipping with actual assertions when dealing with the DISALLOW_UNFILTERED_HTML, DISALLOW_FILE_MODS, and DISALLOW_FILE_EDIT constants. [40525] #40533
  • Remove more skipped tests that should actually be failures if their conditions aren’t satisfied. [40524] #40533
  • Remove ancient UT ticket handling. [40523] #40533
  • Add some more tests to the ms-required and ms-excluded groups. [40522] #40531
  • Introduce ms-required and ms-excluded groups for tests. [40520] #40531
  • Don’t skip tests when php.net or dev.mysql.com are unreachable. [40519] #40533
  • Avoid skipping canonical tests that are connected to open Trac tickets. [40518] #30284, #40534
  • Canonical: Don’t skip tests if the test data is invalid. [40517] #40533

Customize

Database

Editor

  • TinyMCE: Fix cursor position after updating a wpview node. Fix hiding the inline toolbar on editor blur. [40482] #40480
  • Define $suffix before using it in _WP_Editors::print_tinymce_scripts(). [40477] #40479, #35760
  • Provide API for the editor to be dynamically instantiated via JS. First run. [40476] #35760

General

  • Accessibility: Make Safari 10 + VoiceOver announce repeated, identical, wp.a11y.speak() messages. [40479] #36853

Help/About

  • Fix typo in help text on Reading Settings screen. [40540] #40530

Menus

Networks and Sites

  • Multisite: Add $network_id parameter to wp_update_network_counts(). [40486] #40386, #38699
  • Multisite: Add $network_id parameter to wp_update_network_user_counts(). [40485] #40349, #38699
  • Multisite: Add $network_id parameter to wp_update_network_site_counts(). [40484] #37528, #38699
  • Multisite: After [37918] add support for retrieving custom site properties set by the site_details filter. [40478] #40458

Posts, Post Types

  • Correct the fallback value for the label_count argument of register_post_status(). [40516] #38686

Query

Taxonomy

  • Restore support for taxonomy ‘args’ override when querying object terms. [40514] #40496
  • Docs: Improve @param and @return entries for wp_get_post_categories(), wp_get_post_tags(), and wp_get_post_terms(). [40483] #40481

TinyMCE

Widgets

Thanks to @csloisel, @afercia, @Arena94, @azaozz, @bhargavbhandari90, @boonebgorges, @celloexpressions, @danielbachhuber, @darthaud, @dd32, @flixos90, @gitlost, @imath, @iseulde, @johnbillion, @johnjamesjacoby, @littler.chicken, @miyauchi, @ocean90, @peterwilsoncc, @philipjohn, @PieWP, @raisonon, @SergeyBiryukov, @swissspidy, @theMikeD, @timmydcrawford, @westonruter, and @xrm for their contributions!

#week-in-core

Week in Core, March 22nd – 28th, 2017

Welcome back the latest issue of Week in Core, covering changes [40307-40347]. Here are the highlights:

  • 41 commits
  • 27 contributors
  • 76 tickets created
  • 14 tickets reopened
  • 65 tickets closed

Ticket numbers based on trac timeline for the period above. The following is a summary of commits, organized by component.

Code Changes

Administration

  • List Tables: After [38703], [38706], and [40118], adjust the jQuery selector to make the selection of a range of checkboxes work again. [40327] #40056
  • Docs: Add description for $mode global in WP_MS_Sites_List_Table and WP_MS_Users_List_Table. [40310] #40208
  • Docs: Add description for $mode global in WP_Media_List_Table and WP_Posts_List_Table. [40309] #40208
  • Docs: Add missing @global entry for list table view mode in WP_Screen::render_view_mode(). [40308] #40208
  • Docs: Add missing @global entry for list table view mode in wp_ajax_inline_save(). [40307] #40208

Bundled Theme

  • Twenty Seventeen: Declare jQuery as a dependency for navigation.js. [40315] #40224
  • Twenty Seventeen: Use esc_attr_e() for translatable strings in HTML attributes. [40311] #40216

Cache API

Customize

Database

  • Tests: Use utf8mb4 max index length when creating keys. [40339] #35958

Formatting

  • Docs: Correct default value in @param entry for the $num_words parameter of wp_trim_words filter. [40322] #40248

Login and Registration

  • Avoid a potentially incorrect value for the cookie hash on multisite installations that don’t have a value in the siteurl network option. [40320-40321] #34084, #39497

Networks and Sites

  • Multisite: Respect $_wp_suspend_cache_invalidation when clearing network and site caches. [40346] #40028
  • Multisite: Allow falsy properties to be cached in site-details. [40344] #40247
  • Tests: Clarify zero path segment tests for get_network_by_path(). [40342] #37217
  • Multisite: Add lang_id support to WP_Site_Query. [40340] #40196
  • Multisite: After [40305], rename clean_site_details_cache() method as it’s not really private. [40333] #40063
  • Multisite: Add further unit tests for get_blog_details(). [40317] #40228, #40180

Posts, Post Types

  • Add missing REST API properties to WP_Post_Type class. [40329] #39986

REST API

  • Tests: Consolidate logic used to skip API fixture generation. [40341] #40041
  • Confirm the parent post object of an attachment exists in WP_REST_Posts_Controller::check_read_permission(). [40337] #39881
  • Add gmt_offset and timezone_string to the base /wp-json response. [40336] #39854
  • Use get_gmt_from_date() when preparing a draft post for response. [40324-40325] #40136

Taxonomy

  • Add missing REST API properties to WP_Taxonomy class. [40328] #39987

Themes

  • Fix incorrect annotation for __clear_multi_author_cache() function. [40334] #40063, #40262
  • Add filter for excluding directories from being scanned for template files. [40326] #38292

Users

  • Don’t push the current user’s role to the top of the list in wp_dropdown_roles(). [40323] #40162

Thanks to @afercia, @aussieguy123, @bor, @bor0, @caseypatrickdriscoll, @chesio, @clarinetlord, @danielbachhuber, @dd32, @dlh, @flixos90, @GhostToast, @jeremyfelt, @johnbillion, @johnjamesjacoby, @lukasbesch, @michelleweber, @nerrad, @ocean90, @priyankabehera155, @rachelbaker., @redrambles, @sagarkbhatt, @SergeyBiryukov, @swissspidy, and @westonruter for their contributions!

#week-in-core

Week in Core, March 8th – 14th, 2017

Welcome back the latest issue of Week in Core, covering changes [40239-40291]. Here are the highlights:

  • 53 commits
  • 22 contributors
  • 101 tickets created
  • 12 tickets reopened
  • 48 tickets closed

Ticket numbers based on trac timeline for the period above. The following is a summary of commits, organized by component.

Code Changes

Administration

Build/Test Tools

  • Tests: Use https URLs for wordpress.com assets in Tests_HTTP_Functions and Tests_Image_Functions. [40289] #31091
  • Update .travis.yml to include latest improvements from trunk. [40288] #35105, #40100, #30755, #36291, #36490
  • Switch to Node 0.12.18 when testing the 4.2 branch. [40285] #35105
  • Allow Travis CI to cache the node_modules directory. [40280-40281] #36291, #36490
  • Build/Test tools: Get Travis builds working on HHVM again. [40274] #40100
  • Build/Test tools: Don’t install PHPUnit on the travis:js builds. Saves a couple of minutes of build time. [40273] #40100
  • Build/Test tools: Switch to Node 4.7.2 when testing the 4.5 branch. [40266] #35105
  • Build/Test tools: Don’t override the wp_set_auth_cookie() and wp_clear_auth_cookie() functions. [40265] #39367
  • Docs: Remove the duplicate hook documentation for the newly introduced send_auth_cookies filter. [40264] #39367
  • On Travis CI install and use the node version which is specified in package.json. [40258] #35105
  • Build/Test tools: Account for PHP 5.2 when using Composer to install PHPUnit. [40257] #39822, #40086
  • Build/Test tools: Explicitly use PHPUnit 5.7 for the PHP 7 builds on Travis. [40255] #39822, #40086
  • Build/Test tools: Remove the unnecessary clone of the twentysixteen repo. [40253] #31550, #40066
  • Build/Test tools: Revert [40239] due to unrelated changes. [40240] #39486

Bundled Theme

  • Twenty Seventeen: Correct grammar in ‘Page Layout’ control description. [40270] #40107

Canonical

Date/Time

  • Docs: Correct @return type for calendar_week_mod(). [40254] #40077

Media

  • Improve wording of the AYS warning when permanently deleting uploads, tags, posts. [40283] #39712

Misc

  • Build/Test tools: Don’t attempt to report PHP’s extensions when running HHVM jobs on Travis. It doesn’t work. [40267] #
  • Build/test tools: Add some more debugging to Travis and bring the format of the Xdebug fix inline with branches. [40259] #
  • Updates for 4.6. Merge of and to the 4.6 branch.

Query

  • Tests: Use assertSame() for WP_Query ‘orderby’ tests. [40278] #38034

REST API

Taxonomy

  • Fix the formatting of $taxonomies parameter of 'wp_get_object_terms' filter. [40290] #40154
  • Don’t run ‘get_terms’ filter when querying for terms within get_term_by(). [40275] #21760

Themes

  • Docs: Correct the description for wp.updates.deleteTheme. [40279] #40110

Widgets

  • Customize: Show title input placeholders for widgets that have default titles when rendered. [40251] #39909

Thanks to @afercia, @azaozz, @boonebgorges, @bor0, @dingo_bastard, @dlh, @dllh, @gma992, @ig_communitysites, @jnylen0, @johnbillion, @joostdevalk, @jorbi, @lancewillett, @laurelfulford, @MattyRob, @netwe, @netweb, @ocean90, @SergeyBiryukov, @westonruter, and @zoonini for their contributions!

Dev Chat Summary: March 1st (4.7.3 week 5)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from March 1st (agendaSlack archive).

4.7.3 Schedule

  • Reminder of plan to release 4.7.3 as bugfix and maintenance release on Monday March 6, 2017
  • RC is available so please test

Community Summit

  • Working to review submissions on Planning for Community Summit 2017 post on Make/Core as well as submissions to the Make/Summit team via the Community Summit 2017: Sign-up Request post
  • Between now and Friday, March 5th the Core team needs to come up with:
    • 1) a list of topics for the summit
    • 2) A list of representatives to attend the Community Summit
    • 3) One or two contributors who are willing to help with the organization of the event
  • “participating” generally means being physically present for the discussions in Paris, France days prior to WCEU this summer for the Community Summit
  • Each topic facilitator will do both a pre-summit and post-summit Make/Core post. @jbpaul17 to confirm timelines with @_dorsvenabili to help prep those facilitators for those post timings.
  • Javascript in core [will submit to CS]
    • “what we hope and imagine for the future with the REST API, and how we hope to get there… what we have in core now and how we can improve it and how we can attract more JavaScript first developers to build on WordPress and especially contribute to core… How the REST API relates to wp-admin.” Submitted by @adamsilverstein to attend and volunteer to help in whatever role is most helpful.
    • “REST API admin usage: Where we can start moving things to using the API (and maybe even get a couple of them done at the summit)” Related submission from @chriscct7, recommended to include @rmccue
    • @kadamwhite: A heavy dependency on “the future of JS in core” and that discussion should originate from the broader WP community, not be mandated by the REST API group
  • Technology version support policies [will submit to CS]
    • @jorbin: (versions of PHP, MySQL, Browsers, Screen Readers, other AT, etc.) Let’s come up with some concrete plans for when we intend to deprecate things and how we want to handle it. People Who would be good to have in this discussion: @dd32 (to help with stats) @pento (to help with messaging) @afercia and @rianrietveld ( to help formulate AT support policies if they don’t exist already), @westonruter ( as maintainer of the largest JS component) @azaozz ( as maintainer of tinyMCE component) @matveb ( as dev lead of new editor)
    • @getsource, @boonebgorges, and @matt as additional reps for this topic
  • Improved management of contributors with time to spare [will submit to CS]
    • @johnbillion: This topic is particularly focused on pre-existing contributors who are paid to contribute to WordPress (eg. those whose time is sponsored by their employers), but also pre-existing contributors who aren’t sponsored but who do want to contribute a significant and/or consistent amount of time, and also potential contributors in a similar position.
      As a project, we need to manage these people’s time much better. These people need to be project managed in one way or another to avoid repeats of situations we’ve had in the past where a contributor is literally being paid to fix things in WordPress and the project is failing to enable them to do so effectively, or even at all. I’d (@johnbillion) like to attend the summit, and I’d be happy to jointly lead this discussion with someone who has good project management experience and some ideas about how WordPress might be able to better manage contributors, but at the same time do it in such a way that retains the fun and interesting aspects of contributing without turning it into something that too closely resembles “work”. [Side note from John: Worth noting that this doesn’t only apply to core, but it’s a good place to start.]
    • @helen did a survey of time availability a while ago, sent list to John to use for this topic
    • @aaroncampbell, @getsource, @jorbin, @boonebgorges, and @logankipp as additional reps for this topic
  • On-boarding experience for new contributors [will submit to CS]
    • @joemcgill: Lots of people who want to get involved have no idea where to focus their efforts.
    • @kadamwhite: Speaking for myself this is hugely related to the future of JS in core and the REST API, since those pieces really need the energy new contribs would bring
    • @getsource: I am willing to participate or lead, although I don’t know what leading it means besides guiding conversation at this point. @aaroncampbell also willing to lead.
    • @peterwilsoncc, @flixos90, @logankipp, @jorbin, @johnbillion, and @stevenkword as additional reps for this topic
  • Communicating changes to WordPress Core [will NOT submit to CS]
    • @jorbin: For the past few years, core has produced a field guide and worked with the meta and plugins team to email plugin others about changes to core. Each release though triggers a number of people who don’t know about changes until after the release. Challenge: How can we help ensure changes that aren’t worthy of user marketing promotion are known by a far greater percentage of WordPress developers?
      Might also impact or benefit from input from +make.wordpress.org/plugins +make.wordpress.org/themes +make.wordpress.org/marketing +make.wordpress.org/meta.
      Even when we get the field guide out on time, issues come up post release.
      two ideas:
      1) Translating the field guide (is this reasonable if the posts that it links to aren’t translated?) Also means polyglots should be in the discussion
      2) Using the new release email mailing list to announce RC
    • @helen: I think it’s worth at least starting the conversation earlier, even if it ends up still being valuable to continue something in person.
    • @desrosj: There may also be some great ideas from people who cannot attend in person. It would be a great opportunity for them to have their ideas heard and contribute, even if they are not able to follow through with the discussion in person at the summit.
    • @jorbinI’m going to withdraw the communication topic as my proposal for the summit with the note that I might want to resubmit it depending on how the virtual discussion goes
    • @azaozz and @sergey as additional reps for this topic
  • Security [will submit to CS]
    • @chriscct7: The process of a security ticket from report through triage through disclosure. Aaron Campbell (security czar) has made it clear this needs to be discussed at some point and I feel like the community summit would provide a good venue as many of those on the team will be there in person and we can mirror the conversation easily for those who are not. Recommend including @aaroncampbell
    • @aaroncampbell: This is actually a good idea, although I don’t think it’s because “those on the team will be there” but rather because I’d love to get input from some other people too, and security is generally sensitive enough that a place like the summit seems useful
    • @rmccue, @kadamwhite, @matveb, @joen, @westonruter, @melchoyce as additional reps for this topic
  • Collection of Anonymous data [will NOT submit to CS]
    • @chriscct7: If core is interested in doing it, I think my experience with doing it for a trac ticket (settings reduction) might prove to be useful to add to the discussion. Recommend including @drewapicture
    • General agreement to NOT include this topic since this is currently opt-in and the issue is finding an owner of this topic
  • Bootstrap/Load [will NOT submit to CS]
    • @schlessera: Opening up the WordPress Core Architecture to make it flexible enough as a platform so that it can:  * serve both novice end-users as well as large-scale enterprise installations in an optimized way;  * quickly adapt to changing external requirements, to keep up with the accelerating pace of the web. Recommend including @rmccue
    • General agreement to NOT include this topic since it does not need to happen in-person, already has discussions underway, and should be scheduled in next couple of weeks
  • Code editor [will NOT submit to CS]
    • @georgestephanis: Code Syntax Highlighting implementation and accessibility concerns — how we can get CodeMirror or whatever better library there is implemented and rolled out for both Customizer Custom CSS, Theme/Plugin Editor, and Content Blocks. Recommend including @afercia @westonruter
    • General agreement to NOT include this topic since it does not need to happen in-person and should happen sooner than the CS.
  • REST API authentication [will NOT submit to CS]
    • @georgestephanis: Third-party authentication with the REST API.    Between OAuth 1.0a, OAuth2, central application brokers, Application Passwords, or some other system — there’s a lot of possibilities here, and it’d be really nice if Core could pick something and move forward with it before folks start spoofing cookie authentication in applications to integrate with core.
    • Relevant chat summary from the last time we had one
    • This really needs an owner, otherwise it’ll continue to be punted. There’s fundamental differences on what the direction should be.
    • @samuelsidler: I don’t think core can decide until someone has documented the possible options, along with their strengths and weaknesses, then had some discussions on what would be best for core and why.
    • @georgestephanis, @rmccue, @logankipp volunteered post on Make/Core to move this topic along
    • We will table this idea and maybe propose it for the summit based upon how the near term discussions go
  • Front-end Editing [will NOT submit to CS]
    • @westonruter: Frontend editing powered by bootstrapping the customizer onto the frontend, with inline direct manipulation of elements on the page and the controls sidebar being lazy loaded to slide in from the left as needed. Editable elements include post content and site configuration (sidebars, menus, options, etc). Recommend including @celloexpressions
    • General agreement to NOT include this topic since it depends on too many other things we won’t know by then, so we will pass on that topic (at least for now).
  • Nextgen Widgets [will NOT submit to CS]
    • @westonruter: Next generation of widgets which harmonize with content blocks in the editor.
    • General agreement to NOT include this topic for the CS, but good conversation for the contributor day.
  • Feedback on Core focuses [will NOT submit to CS]
    • @georgestephanis: Six months in, how are we feeling about shifting away to a more top-directed set of focuses for the year?
    • General agreement to NOT include this topic as it’ll be hard to say until/unless we’ve shipped a core release by then (we likely won’t) and is a conversation that should happen in public.
  • Complete list of representatives nominated to attend the Community Summit: @matt, @nacin, @adamsilverstein@rmccue@kadamwhite@chriscct7, @dd32@pento@afercia@rianrietveld@westonruter@azaozz@matveb, @getsource, @boonebgorges@aaroncampbell, @jorbin, @logankipp, @peterwilsoncc, @flixos90, @johnbillion, @stevenkword, @azaozz, @sergey, @karmatosed, @joen, @westonruter, @melchoyce, @jnylen0, @ipstenu, @joemcgill, @joehoyle, @rachelbaker, @michael-arestad, @petya, @danielbachhuber, @ocean90, @samuelsidler, @afercia@desrosj, @iseulde, @jjj@celloexpressions
  • We’re still searching for 1-2 contributors who are willing to help with event organization, so please comment here or reach out to @jbpaul17 if you’re interested
  • @jbpaul17 will send the Core team responses to the Community Summit team by Friday, March 3rd.

Browser support

  • Please take a look at @desrosj’s post: The New Editor and Browser Support
  • This will be a topic of discussion at next week’s devchat.
  • Please leave your thoughts there as comments, and bring them along next week as well.

#4-7, #4-7-3, #community-summit, #core, #core-customize, #core-editor, #core-restapi, #dev-chat, #summary

Week in Core, February 22nd – 28th, 2017

Welcome back the latest issue of Week in Core, covering changes [40101-40141]. Here are the highlights:

  • 41 commits
  • 46 contributors
  • 76 tickets created
  • 21 tickets reopened
  • 71 tickets closed

Ticket numbers based on trac timeline for the period above. The following is a summary of commits, organized by component.

Code Changes

Administration

Build/Test Tools

Comments

  • When commenting on a draft post, display a friendly error message if the user can view the post. [40128] #39650

Mail

  • Ensure entities in the site title are decoded when used in the body of the new user email. [40127] #39446

Media

Misc

  • Bump the version after the 4.7.3-RC1 packaging. [40141] #
  • Version bump for WordPress 4.7.3-RC1 [40140] #

Networks and Sites

  • Multisite: Use WP_Network_Query in WP_Network::get_by_path(). [40102] #37217

Posts, Post Types

  • Docs: Update the description of is_singular() and WP_Query::is_singular() to be parsed correctly by developer.wordpress.org. [40103] #39948

REST API

Themes

  • Enable browser history support in add new theme screen. [40107] #36613

TinyMCE

Upload

Thanks to @adamsilverstein, @afercia, @ajoa, @azaozz, @blobfolio, @codegeass, @davidakennedy, @dd32, @desrosj, @Drivingralle, @flixos90, @gitlost, @grapplerulrich, @iandunn, @ipstenu, @iseulde, @jazbek, @jeremyfelt, @jnylen0, @joehoyle, @joemcgill, @johnbillion, @johnjamesjacoby, @JPry, @markoheijnen, @MatheusGimenez, @mayurk, @mikeschroder, @milindmore22, @mnelson4, @netweb, @ocean90, @rachelbaker, @reldev, @ryelle, @sagarprajapati, @sanchothefat, @SergeyBiryukov, @spacedmonkey, @swissspidy, @triplejumper12, @welcher, @westonruter, and @xknown for their contributions!