Dev Chat Summary: September 27th (4.9 week 9)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from September 20th (agendaSlack archive).

4.9 schedule

  • Today is the feature project merge deadline
  • Bulk of the code editor improvements already merged into core, along with the Gallery widget
  • Theme browsing in the Customizer and drafting & scheduling in the Customizer to be merged tonight or tomorrow at the latest
  • Beta 1 in next Wednesday, enhancement tickets due by then
  • Bug scrubs scheduled over next week
  • @joemcgill: Anyone wanting to rubber duck #21819 over approaches in the media meeting tomorrow would be good
    • trying to solve a UX issue with a broadly defined outcome and different possibilities include varying levels of tech complexity
  • @danieltj: recommend putting version info into At A Glance metabox #35554
    • @melchoyce: let's get feedback on this and work to a decision in the next couple days

General announcements

  • @azaozz: removal of SWFUpload #41752 needs more testing in the affected plugins
    • would be great to see how the fallback works in all of them, so please help test
  • @kadamwhite: The REST API team is having a bug scrub on Friday at 15:00 UTC, and likely another the start of next week (time TBD). We’ve got a lot of tickets sitting with patches that are pretty close, so if you’ve got outstanding REST patches to discuss hope to see y’all then in #core-restapi!
  • @johnbillion: if anyone is running PHP 7.2 (currently in beta) it'd be great to test trunk. Some fixes will be going in shortly to remove deprecated notices, apart from that it should be bug free.
  • @obenland: Since [41594], orphaned widgets will get merged into the inactive widgets sidebar on theme switch, instead of becoming orphaned. what your opinions are on removing the concept of orphaned widgets entirely, and just have them be part of the inactive sidebar?
    • pre-41594 they would be shown in separate Orphaned Widgets sidebars above inactive widgets
    • @melchoyce: Looking for someone to take screenshots or a video of this in action on 4.8 and on trunk, so we can compare them visually

#4-9, #bug-scrub, #core, #dev-chat, #media-widgets, #php7, #summary

Customize Meeting Summary: September 25th

This post summarizes the Customize meeting from September 25th in the #core-customize Slack channel (Slack archive).

Participants: @westonruter, @melchoyce, @obenland, @sirjonathan, @joemcgill, @sayedwp, @jbpaul17. Misbehaving: @tracbot.

Discussion highlights

Drafting and Scheduling

Gallery widget

Customizer UX for themes

Bug scrub

  • Trac listing of the enhancements and feature requests milestoned for 4.9 for the team
  • #39930: docs changes, so changing this from enhancement task ticket
  • #28721: related to and will be resolved when #39896 is merged
  • #34843: will be resolved by #37661
  • #35827: no one working on this, so punting to Future Release
  • #40527: punting
  • #40922: punting
  • #37964: will be picked up by @sayedwp when #39896 is done
  • #38707: CSS highlight part is implemented, but “revisions, selection, per-page, pop-out” is not
    • “per-page” aspect has been yanked from consideration in the near future
    • will work on revisions, selection, and pop-out in a feature plugin outside of core
  • #39275: likely to be resolved in #39896
  • #40104: @bpayton hopes to have a patch up by Friday
  • Topic for future devchat: What is the difference between a feature request and a feature project. It’s not really formalized. Are we deeming “feature request” to be the same as “feature project”?

Next week’s meeting

The next meeting will take place on Monday, October 2, 17:00 UTC in the #core-customize Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates, questions, or tickets you’d like to discuss. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#4-9, #bug-scrub, #core-customize, #media-widgets, #summary

Dev Chat Summary: September 6th (4.9 week 6)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from September 6th (agendaSlack archive).

4.9 schedule review

  • 3 weeks until the feature project merge deadline, 4 weeks until Beta 1
  • Customizer improvements for merging Changeset drafting and scheduling has yet to kick off development, designs are nearing completion (see: #39896 and #28721)
  • Gallery widget is still under development but it seems to have stalled, TODO’s noted on related GitHub PR
    • @joemcgill to look into avoiding serializing attachments data in the widget this week
  • @obenland working on wrestling the widget mapping issue when switching themes (see: #39693)
  • Page on Front progressing slowly, likely not ready for dev before Feature Merge
  • Theme switching issue for nav menu mapping has already been merged in trunk (see: #39692)
  • CodeMirror feature plugin (aka Better Code Editing) needs testing and a few outstanding issues that would benefit from contributors. Plan is to merge this week.
  • @psykro to look into #9757
  • “Add Media” button in the Text widget great opportunity for new contributors
  • #35827 could use an owner and remaining items in 4.9 Goals post could use contributors to help land in the release

Editor update

Iterating in trunk

  • @matt: I’m fine with more iteration happening in trunk vs how we’re bouncing patches around Trac so much
  • @matt: I’m okay with parts of trunk being broken as we iterate in this phase of dev
  • @desrosj: Do we have an established process for reverting things that break?
  • @obenland: I think we’re not talking about “PHP fatals”-broken, but rather a feature maybe not fully functional

HTML5 input types for validation

  • @afercia: any thoughts about relying on HTML5 input types browsers built-in validation only?
  • @azaozz: used to be buggy, seems to be working properly now
  • @afercia: seems to me still premature to rely on required for validation
  • @afercia: looking to leads to make a decision as new browsers support policy
  • @asaozz: Worth some testing, especially on the “lower end”, IE11
  • @afercia: there are still CSS rules in ie.css for Internet Explorer 6 (and 7, and 8). Can they just be dropped?
  • @azaozz: no need of ie.css in my honest opinion
  • @azaozz: intention is not to completely break old browsers if they still work, but to stop testing in them
  • @clorith: concerned about users locked into older browsers, like IE8, and keeping option for them to enqueue scripts relevant to their browser
  • @afercia: I wanted to start the discussion about this as it relates to the new browsers support policy

General announcements

#4-9, #core, #core-customize, #core-editor, #dev-chat, #gallery, #gutenberg, #html5, #summary, #trunk, #widgets

Dev Chat Summary: July 26th (4.8.1 week 6)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from July 26th (agendaSlack archive).

4.8.1 RC feedback & release timing

  • No issues on the widgets front
  • Those who reported breakage from 4.8 widget changes and have tested RC have said the fixes work
  • @westonruter to write a dev note
  • @westonruter and @obenland to work on 4.8.1 release on Tuesday, August 1st as per previous plan
  • @obenland to work with @pento or @azaozz on walk thru for releasing a minor version
  • Post-4.8.1 release action item: get more committers access & training on releasing / Mission Control

Editor / Gutenberg media intricacies

  • Last Fridays’ release of 0.6 slipped due to vacations, working to push it out as soon as feasible
  • Several media intricacies that could use help / discussion, especially Issue#1986
  • 100 PRs open that could use help in reviewing/testing
  • Gutenberg part of weekly agenda of #core-media meeting (Thursdays at 18:00 UTC)

General announcements

#4-8, #4-8-1, #core-editor, #dev-chat, #gutenberg, #summary

Welcome back the latest issue of Week in Core, covering changes [40857-40877]. Here are the highlights:

  • 21 commits
  • 25 contributors
  • 43 tickets created
  • 3 tickets reopened
  • 46 tickets closed

Ticket numbers based on trac timeline for the period above. The following is a summary of commits, organized by component.

Code Changes

Administration

  • Dashboard: Better titles for the Recent Drafts widget. [40877] #37595

Build/Test Tools

  • Fix PHP 5.2 compatibility for grandchild methods which expect exceptions to be raised. [40876] #39822
  • Fixed support of PHPUnit_Framework_TestCase as the base class. [40873] #39822

Bundled Theme

Help/About

I18N

  • Improve translator comments for strings in the community events widget. [40866] #40865

Media

  • Fix an issue selecting media when clicking item edges. [40874] #40578

Misc

Networks and Sites

TinyMCE

  • Force urlencoding of commas in URLs added by plugins to prevent warnings about missing stylesheets. [40862] #40893

Thanks to @bridgetwillard, @adamsilverstein, @afercia, @azaozz, @bhargavbhandari90, @circlecube, @dimadin, @flixos90, @francina, @iandunn, @iseulde, @jenblogs4u, @johnbillion, @johnroper100, @melchoyce, @michelleweber, @obenland, @ocean90, @psiico, @rcutmore, @soniakash, @sudar, @swissspidy, @voldemortensen, and @zachwtx for their contributions!

#week-in-core

Week in Core, May 24th – 30th 2017

Welcome back the latest issue of Week in Core, covering changes [40827-40856]. Here are the highlights:

  • 30 commits
  • 27 contributors
  • 40 tickets created
  • 7 tickets reopened
  • 26 tickets closed

Ticket numbers based on trac timeline for the period above. The following is a summary of commits, organized by component.

Code Changes

Build/Test Tools

  • Add a missing class to the PHPUnit 6 back compat. [40854] #39822
  • Remove mentions of HHVM from the test infrastructure on Travis for the 4.0 branch. [40833] #40548

Bundled Theme

Emoji

Help/About

  • About: Introduce design and add link to Media Widgets API dev note. [40849] #40721
  • About: Further polish for Under The Hood. [40841] #40721
  • About: Further polish for feature descriptions. [40838] #40721

Media

Misc

Plugins

REST API

  • In the admin area, ensure the REST API endpoint URL is forced to https when necessary. [40843] #36451

TinyMCE

Widgets

  • Normalize YouTube and Vimeo URLs in video shortcode (primarily for Video widget) to work around ME.js 2.22 bug. [40847] #32417, #39994, #40866
  • Ensure that audio and video files appear in media library browser upon upload. [40836] #32417, #39994, #39995, #40803
  • Supply missing descriptions for instance schema fields in media widgets. [40835] #32417
  • Prevent multiple items from being selectable when first populating a media widget. [40827] #32417

Thanks to @apmarshall @obenland, @hedgefield, @reportermike, @ryelle, @rclations, @westonruter, @adamsilverstein, @apmarshall, @azaozz, @bridgetwillard, @celloexpressions, @iandunn, @jnylen0, @johnbillion, @juhise, @karmatosed, @leemon, @matveb, @melchoyce, @mikeschroder, @mohanjith, @obenland, @ocean90, @pento, @peterwilsoncc, @peterwilsoncc, @Soean, @timmydcrawford, @voldemortensen, and @westonruter for their contributions!

#week-in-core

Dev Chat Summary: May 24th (4.8 week 4)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from May 24th (agendaSlack archive).

4.8 Timing

  • Beta 1 went out on Friday, May 12th; Beta 2 went out on Monday, May 22nd
  • RC1 is scheduled for Thursday, May 25th
  • With RC1 we’re aiming for a soft string freeze so that translators can work through all the new strings in 4.8
  • Should things continue to go to plan, RC2 would be next Thursday, June 1st

4.8 Bug Scrubs

4.8 Dev Notes / Field Guide

  • Goal is to have Dev Notes all done ASAP so we can assemble the Field Guide by RC1
  • Remaining Dev Notes to get published:
  • Listing of all tickets tagged with needs-dev-note

About Page

  • #40721: dev help needed writing copy for the Under the Hood section, please ping @melchoyce if you can help

#4-8, #dev-chat, #summary

Week in Core, May 17th – 23th 2017

Welcome back the latest issue of Week in Core, covering changes [40771-40826]. Here are the highlights:

  • 56 commits
  • 75 contributors
  • 70 tickets created
  • 7 tickets reopened
  • 71 tickets closed

Ticket numbers based on trac timeline for the period above. The following is a summary of commits, organized by component.

Code Changes

Accessibility

Administration

  • Fix some HTML validation errors. [40823] #37004
  • Update the docs for wp_check_browser_version(). [40822] #40839
  • Dashboard: Change the cache key for dashboard RSS widget; remove the unnecessary database upgrade routine. [40803] #40702
  • Dashboard: Append the current locale to dashboard RSS widget cache key in wp_dashboard_rss_control(), for consistency with the changes to wp_dashboard_cached_rss_widget() in [33183] and [33192]. [40802] #32804, #40702
  • Dashboard: Don’t trigger an Events search when the search field is empty. [40799] #40816
  • Dashboard: Improve the Events widget spinner position after [40789]. [40794] #40735
  • Dashboard: Improve the handling of locations determined by geolocating the IP address and by entering a city name. Fix couple of edge cases, and some names. [40790] #40702
  • Dashboard: [40789] #40735
  • Dashboard: Combine methods to retreive IP [40781] #40702
  • Use consistent spacing for form elements in the Discussion Settings screen. [40779] #31594
  • Dashboard: Document request proxy for events. [40777] #40702
  • Dashboard: Properly localize data for events [40776] #40702
  • Dashboard: Always pass the IP when getting events [40774] #40702
  • Upgrade: Use correct commit no. to trigger upgrade [40773] #40702

Build/Test Tools

  • Remove mentions of HHVM from the test infrastructure on Travis for the 4.6 branch. [40818] #40548

Bundled Theme

  • Twenty Seventeen: Remove uneccessary return statement [40795] #40516

Customize

  • Docs: Improve phpdoc for WP_Customize_Manager, WP_Customize_Control, WP_Customize_Setting, and WP_Customize_Selective_Refresh. [40804] #39671
  • Docs: Add missing @since tags and phpdoc descriptions to the Custom_Image_Header class. [40788] #21785, #40231
  • Run a partial’s fallback behavior (full refresh) when selective refresh fails due to a script error. [40771] #27355, #40658

Help/About

I18N

  • Dashboard: Use get_user_locale() for the news feed cache key. [40793] #40417

Login and Registration

  • Add some margin to notices on the login screen so multiple notices remain separated. [40778] #39971

Media

Misc

  • Themes: Skip tests if ReflectionMethod::setAccessible is unavailable [40826] #
  • Post-4.8 Beta 2 bump. [40820] #
  • WordPress 4.8 Beta 2 ([40807] again) [40819] #
  • Revert [40807] unbumping from 4.8 Beta 2 back to Beta 1 due to aborted release. [40808] #
  • WordPress 4.8 Beta 2 [40807] #
  • Updates for 4.6. Merge of and to the 4.6 branch.

Quick/Bulk Edit

REST API

  • Fix changing parameters with set_param() for some requests. [40815] #40344
  • Avoid sending blank Last-Modified headers with authenticated requests. [40805] #40444
  • Do not set X-WP-Deprecated* headers as often. [40782] #40787

Themes

TinyMCE

  • Fix selecting the link node after creating a link by pasting an URL. [40801] #40818
  • Editor: When stripping paragraph tags, and there is a <br> at the beginning or the end, merge them and keep the paragraph, not the <br>. [40787] #37066
  • Fix pasting while an image with caption is selected. The image and the caption should be replaced with the pasted content. [40786] #40809
  • Provide styles for link and code boundaries. [40783] #40767

Users

  • Multisite: Handle both role change selections in site-users.php. [40780] #40113

Widgets

  • Further refine WP JS coding style in media widgets code. [40821] #32417
  • Remove core embedding support for WMV and WMA files since MediaElement.js has discontinued supporting them. [40813] #39994, #39995, #40819
  • Clarify some context information for translators. [40812] #32417, #39993, #39994, #39995
  • Remove unused JS variable to fix JSHint error introduced in [40640]. [40811] #39994
  • Introduce isHostedVideo method on VideoWidgetControl to allow plugins to extend for recognizing services beyond YouTube and Vimeo. [40810] #39994, #40808
  • Revert [40251] pending more accessible solution for showing default widget titles rather than using placeholders. [40806] #39909
  • Ensure title field for media widget will update with sanitized value after change event in addition to input event. [40785] #32417, #40805
  • Use “Add Audio” for button in Audio widget instead of generic “Add File”. [40784] #39995, #40797
  • Media: Trim whitespace in URLs provided for external embeds. [40772] #40771

Thanks to @4nickpick, @abhishekfdd, @adamsilverstein, @adamsoucie, @afercia, @arena, @arshidkv12, @azaozz, @BharatKambariya, @bradyvercher, @bridgetwillard, @coffee2code, @coreymckrill, @darshan02, @dd32, @desrosj, @emirpprime, @gma992, @iandunn, @iandunn, @iseulde, @Italian polyglots team, @iv3rson76, @jenblogs4u, @jeremyfelt, @jjcomack, @jnylen0, @joedolson, @joemcgill, @joen, @johnbillion, @juhise, @ketuchetan, @kraftbj, @leewillis77, @LiamMcArthur, @matveb, @melchoyce, @michalzuber, @michelleweber, @mihai2u, @MikeLittle, @mikeschroder, @mp518, @mrahmadawais, @netwe, @nitin, @kevadiya, @nobremarcos, @obenland, @ocean90, @odysseygate, @pento, @postpostmodern, @rellect, @rensw90, @rianrietveld, @riddhiehta02, @rmccue, @ryelle, @sagarjadhav, @sagarprajapati, @Samantha Miller., @sami.keijonen, @SergeyBiryukov, @sloisel, @sstoqnov, @stubgo, @swissspidy, @tejas5989, @timmydcrawford, @TimothyBlynJacobs, @topher1kenobe, @truongwp, @westonruter, and @zinigor for their contributions!

#week-in-core

Dev Chat Summary: May 17th (4.8 week 3)

This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from May 17th (agendaSlack archive).

4.7.5 Release

  • 4.7.5 was released; six security issues and three maintenance fixes, thanks to everyone who pitched in to get that out!

4.8 Timing

  • Beta 1 went out on Friday, May 12th
  • Beta 2 is due out this Friday, May 19th; potentially shepherded by @matias between 16:00 and 18:00 UTC
  • Please plan anything important before Beta 2 in by Thursday evening, May 18th

4.8 Bug Scrubs

4.8 Dev Notes / Field Guide

Location identification in Events widget

General announcements

  • Anything outside Customize, Editor, REST API, and CLI has lower priority focus in 2017
  • Major work on other components will likely not be merged or considered

#4-7, #4-7-5, #4-8, #dev-chat, #summary

4.8 Bug Scrubs for RC 1

The following bug scrubs will help us drop to 0 tickets in the 4.8 milestone by RC1 on Thursday, May 25th:

Reminder that Thursday, May 25th is 4.8 Release Candidate 1.

As a refresher, here’s a post from the 4.7 release cycle answering questions about bug scrubs.

#4-8, #bug-scrub