WordPress.org

Make WordPress Core

Updates from May, 2015 Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts

  • Konstantin Obenland 9:45 pm on May 20, 2015 Permalink |
    Tags: ,   

    Dev Chat Summary, May 20 

    Agenda, Slack log.

    Committers Update (#)
    @nacin
    New guest committers: @iseulde, @westonruter, and @obenland, renewed guest committers: @jorbin, @jeremfelt, permanent committers: @pento, @boone, and @johnbillion
    Also see https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/05/20/new-committers-for-4-3/

    Editor (#)
    @azaozz@iseulde
    No update here. Will discuss goals for this week and next week outside of dev chat.

    Admin UI (#)
    @helen
    @helen is plugging away at some groundwork for the CSS roadmap, @stephdau should be taking a look at the first steps for list tables in the next day or so. Will discuss goals for next week in tomorrow’s UI meeting.

    Network Admin UI (#)
    @jeremyfelt
    They talked through aspects of the Edit Site and Add Site flows yesterday to help @hugobaeta with mock-ups. Hopeful to see a mock up of these soon. They have a couple flows in Make/Flow with more on the way. The 5s flow highlighted an issue with text inputs overflowing. There’s also an updated `WP_Network` patch.

    Things they want to have done by next week:

    • Android and iPad flows.
    • Conversation around updated `WP_Network` patch and a first attempt at `WP_Site`.

    Partial Refresh (#)
    @westonruter
    Now has support for refreshing menus changed by Menu Customizer: https://github.com/xwp/wp-customize-partial-refresh/pull/12/files
    It’s much simpler than partial refresh for widgets, and @westonruter thinks that maybe it could safely be on by default, instead of requiring opt-in as is currently done for widgets. The concern with on-by-default would be if menus get some dynamic behaviors added to them with JS, so maybe it’s just something that theme authors would need to account for.
    Also waiting on feedback and testing from the Menu Customizer, merging the corresponding PR for Menu Customizer, to then merge the PR for Customize Partial Refresh and do a new plugin release.

    Goals for next week: Take what was done for Menus and then abstract a level again to facilitate plugins easily adding their own partial-refreshing.

    Menu Customizer (#)
    @voldemortensen, @celloexpressions
    Lazy loading and error handling were committed. Will discuss goals for next week outside of dev chat.

    Better Passwords (#)
    @markjaquith
    They’ve been working on a mockup of the password UI: http://codepen.io/markjaquith/pen/GJjZbJ
    Probably best to create a temporary hook in core for the password-set UI in the profile, to allow the team to work on this as a plugin. @markjaquith can take care of that core change, and start the plugin on GitHub.
    #32428 is on hold until the Password UI is usable. @voldemortensen started work on expiring reset keys #32429, but hopes to get it showcase-able by the end of the week. @rmarks made a first pass at #32430 but it needs more work.

    Goals for next week:
    1. Hook in core to enable plugin for PW change UI.
    2. Working version of PW change UI on the Profile screen (that is, you can change your password with it… show/hide… back compat for the pw confirmation field… not promising the strength hint stuff yet).
    3. #32430 ready for commit.
    4. Working patch for #32429.

    Favicons (#)
    @johnbillion
    @johnbillion made a start on the site favicon manager. As discussed during dev chat last week and in #16434 it has an API so plugins/themes can register new sizes for favicons/touch icons/etc if the need arises. I’ll be pushed to a GitHub repo by tomorrow. The main thing that will need to be discussed is whether this should just be a customizer setting or not. @johnbillion will post about the repository location and meeting times on this blog.

    Other:
    @ocean90 is looking for feedback on #29783!

    Next chat will be on May 27 2015, 20:00 UTC

     
  • Konstantin Obenland 6:14 pm on May 14, 2015 Permalink |
    Tags: ,   

    Dev Chat Summary, May 13 

    Agenda, Slack log.

    Editor (#)
    @azaozz@iseulde
    @azaozz has been looking at the “WordPress integration” parts the last couple of days, a lot of things that can be improved there. It removes some of the oddities, like running the post content through wpautop() before outputting it in the textarea, but only when TinyMCE is expected to be loaded, etc. @iseulde is working on the mobile toolbar and is hopeful she can get a patch ready this week. By next week’s meeting they want to have the mobile toolbar working (except in iOS), as well as #31655, #30949, and maybe #31441 in.

    Admin UI (#)
    @helen
    @helen has largely been working on prepping things (tickets, examples, links, etc.) for Thursday’s UI meeting. More about the meeting (including agenda) can be found here: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/05/11/weekly-core-ui-meetings-for-4-3/

    Network Admin UI (#)
    @jeremyfelt
    Recap of Multisite office hours: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/05/12/multisite-office-hours-recap-may-12-2015/
    Things they want to have done by next week:

    • Mockups for the Edit Site / Add New Site improvements by @hugobaeta.
    • Having more flows posted to Make Flow for the network admin, via @sofiarose @kraft, and @ubernaut.
    • Get some decent progress on `WP_Site` and `WP_Network` with @jjj.

    Partial Refresh (#)
    @westonruter
    Weston hopes to add initial integration between Menu Customizer and Partial Refresh this weekend. Due to client projects he’ll have to work on Concurrency _concurrently_ with Partial Refresh so he doesn’t hold up Menu Customizer. By next week Partial Refresh should be abstracted enough for the Menu Customizer to work with.

    Menu Customizer (#)
    @voldemortensen, @celloexpressions
    Now that it’s object-oriented they’re ready to start ramping up work. They’ll be going through github issues and come up with the next milestone for possibly the end of the week. By next week they’re planning on getting lazy-loading of both all menu item controls and the add-menu-item panel done, as well as better error handling for duplicate menu names and the like.

    Better Passwords (#)
    @markjaquith
    By next week, Mark wants a HTML, CSS, JS working demo of the password setting UI, and tickets for that and all other items on their hitlist. If there’s time beyond that, they could knock off one of the easier ones like notifying users of their password/e-mail changes.

    Accessibility component update (#)
    @joedolson
    There’s been a ton of work done on the List Table class and associated areas. Joe has a set of 10 tickets with patches that he’d like to see committed by next week: #32150, #32254, #32255, #32028, #32152, #32147, #32189, #31654, #32253, #32170.

    Build tools component update (#)
    @jorbin
    QUnit update seems to have gone off without a hitch. There are 7 npm dependencies that need to be updated. 6 are ready to go. grunt-sass needs a bit more digging in. This week, @jorbin is going to update the build tools roadmap he wrote up after WCSF and then pester a lead (likely @helen) to give it a read so that it can finally be published.
    Not exactly build related, but test related: Bug scrub identified that we don’t have any tests for nav menus, especially around the classes we add. @johnbillion has agreed to write some tests there so that we can fix all the bugs around that.

    Favicons (#)
    @obenland
    Support for managing favicons seems like a rudimentary thing, and its absence in core does seem odd to some. We still need plugins to handle favicon and other media icons in the admin, there is currently no good way for users to do that. We’ve been talking about adding support for a favicon manager for a long time ( #16434 ), let’s make 4.3 the release that finally adds it. @johnbillion volunteered to lead the feature for 4.3, with help from @brandondove, @kraftbj, @sofiarose, and possibly @dh-shredder.

    Next chat will be on May 20, 2000 UTC

     
  • Konstantin Obenland 10:25 pm on May 12, 2015 Permalink |
    Tags: ,   

    Devchat Agenda for May 13 

    Here’s the agenda for tomorrow’s Dev Chat in the #core channel on Slack.

    Time/Date: May 13 2015 20:00 UTC:

    1. Feature Updates
      1. Editor – @azaozz / @iseulde
      2. Admin UI – @helen
      3. Multisite Admin UI – @jeremyfelt (if available)
      4. Partial Refresh – @westonruter
      5. Menu Customizer – @celloexpressions / @westonruter / @voldemortensen
      6. Passwords – @markjaquith
    2. Component Updates
      1. Accessibility – @joedolson
      2. Build tools – @jorbin
    3. Site Icon feature proposal – @obenland
    4. Open Floor – Looking for dev feedback on a ticket? Use this part of the meeting to let us know!

    Recommended reading:

     
    • Nick Halsey 3:09 pm on May 13, 2015 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      I can’t make the meeting, but regarding site icons, if that feature does happen it should really go in the Customizer. Specifically, the “Site Title & Tagline” section should be renamed to something like “Site Identity” and icons should be added there after the two existing options. Seeing as those options are all used in browser contexts (and usually, but not always in the theme for title & tagline). In the process all three options should be previewed in the browser as well as the Customizer preview, at least as well as we can (actually site title and tagline are currently previewed whenever a refresh is triggered, but many themes postMessage those, so we may want to find a way to do it directly with JS).

      Also, we should work out a way to implement the RSS feed links that can be specified for Windows 8.1 tiles alongside the various site icons that are used in that context so that all WordPress sites get automatic live tiles out of the box. See https://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-windows-pinned-tiles/. A filter to change the post type that it pulls would be nice too.

  • Konstantin Obenland 10:09 pm on May 7, 2015 Permalink |
    Tags: ,   

    Dev Chat Summary, May 6th 

    Agenda, Slack log.

    Editor (#)
    @azaozz@iseulde
    Spent last week to go over the things they want to work on. @iseulde will work on the mobile editor toolbar first. They’ll milestone tickets as they get patches. For posterity and everyone who wants to follow up, the Editor game plan for 4.3 can be found here: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/05/01/editor-wish-list-for-4-3/

    Admin UI (#)
    @helen
    Not much to talk about yet as @helen was out last week and will be out for the next few days. She will schedule a meeting for next week, likely Thursday, May 14 1700 UTC. location to be determined.

    Network Admin UI (#)
    @jeremyfelt
    There was a good chat about NA UI on Tuesday. First steps are documenting pain points now and move forward with tickets, etc. Multisite chat summary: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/05/06/multisite-office-hours-recap-may-5-2015/

    Customizer (#)
    @westonruter
    Noteworthy from Monday’s chat is that Menu Customizer was added to the 4.3 roadmap for the Customizer, while Transactions were taken off it. No other news besides that: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/05/04/customizer-chat-summary/

    Better Passwords (#)
    @markjaquith
    Weekly meetings are on Mondays at 1700 UTC in #core-passwords. Right now they’re throwing ideas around, by Monday @mark wants to have gone through that and have a make/core post that outlines the major goals for this release, so they can get to work.

    Accessibility component update (#)
    @joedolson
    The accessibility team has spent a lot of time generating tickets for tabular data, based on user feedback gathered during the 4.2 cycle. It’s about 8 tickets right now, all prefixed with “List Table:”. They have also been focusing on establishing a new heading hierarchy for the admin. Resolving the H1 issue is fairly simple, but has broad impact across the admin; should probably get this in ASAP. It shouldn’t have much impact in normal usage, but e team is unsure what kinds of edge cases might be out there. There are two separate issues: implementing H1 across pages and addressing the hierarchy within pages; @joedolson suggested to handle just the primary H1 to start, then start looking at the internal issues.

    Build tools component update (#)
    @jorbin
    Started upgrading dev dependencies and our version of QUnit. @jorbin will finish those updates this week. People will likely need to do some npm installs to ensure they have the up to date versions.

    Next chat will be on May 13, 2000 UTC

     
  • Konstantin Obenland 4:20 am on April 30, 2015 Permalink
    Tags: ,   

    Dev Chat Summary, April 29th 

    Agenda, Slack log.

    Editor (#)
    @azaozz@iseulde
    Want to concentrate on mobile improvements, especially the toolbar, other buttons around the editor, and ajax saving. @iseulde will publish a list of all items they’ll work on. We will need to test on many mobile devices in couple of weeks, so please join them in the #core-editor Slack channel where they’ll also have weekly chats on Tuesday, 20:00 UTC.

    Admin UI (#)
    @helen

    1. Better responsive list tables – this involves some PHP-side API changes as well as UI work. The base thought here is that a narrow screened device is also often a mobile device, which may have limited bandwidth. That’s exactly the situation in which you don’t want to have to load more pages to see important information, and our current strategy of truncation is in direct conflict with that.
    2. Getting rid of media-new.php and exploring what a better list table+upload experience might be, both for JS and no-JS.
    3. Getting started on the admin CSS clean up roadmap @helen will be spinning up a kick off for that as well.
    4. Screen-by-screen sweep on touch and small screen devices, grabbing low-hanging fruit like “the spacing is off here” or “font sizes are inconsistent”.

    UI chats are going to be spun up again to further this effort, stay tuned for when and where.

    Network Admin UI (#)
    @jeremyfelt

    • Piggyback on other Admin UI improvements. The network admin often seems quite a bit behind everything else. Responsive list tables would be fantastic.
    • Start looking at network admin screens on mobile. There are many places where workflow can be reimagined. @boren has shared some great thoughts previously, let’s have more conversation around that.
    • It may be possible to start working on what a future site switcher would look like. Especially on mobile, providing context can be tough when working on a network of many sites.
    • #22383-core and #31240-core for nicer ways of creating and editing sites. Might lead to some domain/path validation, which could be useful elsewhere and help address older tickets.
    • Under the hood, significant progress on WP_NetworkWP_Site, WP_Site_Query, and maybe WP_Network_Query would be nice.

    @jeremyfelt will come up with a consumable list of 4.3 priorities by next week. Regular multisite office hours are Tuesday, 20:00 UTC in #core-multisite.

    Partial Refresh (#)
    @westonruter
    This greatly improves performance of previewing changes in the Customizer for non-postMessage transport settings (JS-applied changes) by just refreshing the area of the page that has been changed. As such it eliminates some of the need to do postMessage in the first place, while also reducing the amount of duplicated logic that would have to be implemented in JS to mirror what is being done in PHP. This resurrects some code from the old Widget Customizer feature plugin developed for 3.9. Writeup and feature plugin are available at https://wordpress.org/plugins/customize-partial-refresh/

    Customizer Transactions (#)
    @westonruter
    A low-level re-architecture of the Customizer plumbing that has a lot of side benefits and bugfixes, introducing some exciting possibilities for future feature plugins like scheduled settings, setting revisions, and drafted/pending settings. Partial Refresh is a dependency for this. Pull request available, but needs refresh. See proposal at https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/01/26/customizer-transactions-proposal/. This was previously worked on for 4.2.

    Customizer office hours are on Friday, 18:00 UTC in #core-customize.

    Better Passwords (#)
    @markjaquith

    1. Make “user chooses own password” non-default. We can generate better passwords than they can, and writing as secure password down on a sticky note is in general more secure than memorizing a weak password. So the default should be “give me a new password”, and “let me choose” should be something they specifically choose.
    2. When the use is generating their own password, we should encourage strong passwords more forcefully. Right now we just have a meter. We don’t tell them why it’s “weak”. We don’t tell them how to fix that. Simple feedback like “too short — add more characters!”, “Try adding some numbers and symbols!”. Not only that, we could actually make the addition for them. Show them their password attempt with some additions that would make it better.
    3. In order to help the user modify their chosen password, we need it to be visible. If they click “hide”, they can input it hidden for an “over shoulder” situation. Also gets rid of the annoying “enter twice” thing.
    4. Let’s not send passwords via e-mail anymore, it’s insecure. We’re not getting around “full access to e-mail means you can reset”, but we can stop passwords from sitting around in e-mail accounts forever.

    Discussions will happen in #core-passwords. Time and day for regular meetings TBA.

    Open Floor (#)

    @jorbin has set up a Call for Tickets. Please feel free to add the tickets you want to work in the comments there.

     
    • tronic69 7:12 am on April 30, 2015 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Because I have no invite for wordpress@slack I will write my comments for #core-passwords here. Maybe someone can move it to Slack.

      1) Making a system-generated password default looks like paternalism for me and many people 😉
      A lot of people use strong passwords and password safes (e.g. KeePass or Lastpass).

      2) It would be nice to have settings for password complexity (like which classes have to be used, 3 out of 4 classes).

      3) The reverse option would be better and more secure: password is invisible during input and then you can check no one is watching you before you click “show”!
      More and more Apps, browser extensions or website do it this way in the last months.

      4) I see here two well-known procedures which are known and used by users since years for password reset:
      A: A “one time password” (valid only some hours) is send to the user and he has to change it on next login.
      B: A “password reset link” is send to the user which allows just setting a new password and nothing else!
      Both ways should be valid only for some hours to secure only the user can check them quickly.

      Just my 2 cent 😉
      Tom

    • Ryan Boren 5:17 pm on April 30, 2015 Permalink | Log in to Reply

      Better passwords: I really like having show/hide, but it can interfere with password manager form filling since enabling show/hide changes the input type from password to text. Is there a way to show/hide that gets along with password manager password filling?

      https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/24053/password-generator-doesnt-fill-new-password-on-wordpress-com-change-password-in

  • Drew Jaynes 5:44 pm on April 21, 2015 Permalink
    Tags:   

    4.2 Scrub 

    We’ll be scrubbing report 6 in the #core channel on Slack in about 20 minutes at Tuesday 18:00 UTC 2015. Join us!

    @azaozz @dd32 @nacin @helen @sergeybiryukov @ocean90 @wonderboymusic @mark @johnbillion @jorbin @boone @jeremyfelt @pento

     
  • Drew Jaynes 3:48 pm on April 20, 2015 Permalink
    Tags: ,   

    This Week in 4.2: April 20 – 26 

    This is the jump-start post for the fourteenth (and final!) week of the WordPress 4.2 release cycle.

    Last week, we tagged RC1 and “hard froze” strings. We’ll likely tag RC2 today as well. We’re still on track for releasing 4.2 this week.

    Core Meetings this week:

    Priorities this week:

    All commits in RC stages must be approved by at least one lead developer, preferably two.

    Please, if you’re patching open tickets, ensure you’ve provided enough context on tickets for your fixes to help out those leads who may be coming along to review them.

    As of Monday, there are 14 open tickets on report 6:

    • #31651 – Change Twemoji CDN to W.org – @pento
    • #31988 – TinyMCE: pasting an embeddable URL in Firefox doesn’t show preview – @azaozz
    • #24054 – (get_)comment_class() should include a is_user_member_of_blog() class – @jeremyfelt
    • #31669 – views improvements continued – @azaozz
    • #31890 – Link to existing content added in Text Editor disappear after switch to Visual editor and back – @azaozz
    • #31929 – 4.2 About Page
    • #31984 – Shiny Updates – some glitches – @jorbin
    • #31987 – Theme Customizer: Widget search field hidden in Safari – @helen
    • #32002 – Theme Switcher: Missing back button and marking active theme – @helen
    • #32004 – Audio/video list and gallery – date dropdown and message – @helen
    • #32006 – Problem with setting width and height of embedded media – @azaozz
    • #32007 – Twenty Fifteen: Image captions are shifted down in TinyMCE – @azaozz
    • #32022 – Press This: Margin is too big forcing wrapping on mobile – @azaozz
    • #32000 – Some translators comments – @SergeyBiryukov

    Recent notable updates:

     
  • Morgan Estes 12:43 pm on April 19, 2015 Permalink
    Tags: ,   

    WordPress Core Weekly 

    Howdy! Sorry, I dropped the ball last week so this week’s Weekly Roundup is a double issue — it covers April 4, 2015 [32003] to April 18, 2015 [32140].

    This week marks the release of RC1, which is the first release that many plugin authors and beta testers will test heavily. If you don’t already, now is a good time to check out the Alpha/Beta forums for any issues that crop up during this testing cycle.

    We’re only days away from the release of 4.2; let’s finish strong! 🏃👏 Here’s the rundown of recent changes:

    TinyMCE

    • Update to 4.1.9+. Changes:
      • Fixed bug where extra empty paragraphs would get deleted in WebKit/Blink due to recent Quriks fix.
      • Fixed bug where the editor wouldn’t work properly on IE 12 due to some required browser sniffing.
      • Fixed bug where formatting shortcut keys where interfering with Mac OS X screenshot keys. [32058] #31895
    • Disable the wp-autoresize plugin in iOS. All iframes there are already expanded to the height of the content document. [32095] #31937
    • Update the “Keyboard Shortcuts” modal. [32060] #29558
    • Fix our shortcuts on Mac, use Ctrl + Opt + letter. [32059] #29558
    • Use window.twemoji directly in the wpemoji plugin. Gives a chance to the browser to lazy load twemoji.js when reloading the page. [32142] #31901
    • Remove the empty paragraph that sometimes is left over after adding an image caption. [32141] #32003

    wpView

    • Remove selected views when inserting content but not when loading all content, and remove the ref. to the selected view node on resetting the views. [32140] #31998
    • Resize sandbox iframes on load. [32056] #31480
    • Empty the content in the timeout, so it doesn’t render iframes twice. [32022] #31669

    Build/Test Tools

    • During PHPUnit tests, don’t autodetect permalink structure during WP installation. [32139] #31994
    • Move the built media JS files up a directory to their previous location and naming convention. [32125] #31912 (see [31373])
    • Don’t reference underscore.js source map. [32065] #31477

    General/Misc.

    • WordPress 4.2-RC1 [32137] [32138]
    • Use HTTPS URLs for codex.wordpress.org. [32116] #27115
    • Explain all placeholders in translator comment, not just the first one. [32111] #31675
    • Ensure post title input is not shortened for non-public post types. [32071] #30968
    • Improve handling of incomplete From and Content-Type headers in wp_mail(). [32070] #30266
    • wpLink: always show the URL field at the top. [32017] #28206
    • Force default avatar for HiDPI avatars on Discussion Settings. [32129] #31972

    Translation and Strings

    • Merge strings that describe the same command. [32078] #31776
    • Update placeholder for FTP credentials. [32077] #31922
    • After [31941], use the decoupled strings from wp-admin/network/themes.php in wp-admin/network/site-themes.php as well. [32029] #28502
    • Correct grammar when referring to “a user” vs “an user” in several places. [32025] #31894

    Administration

    Emoji and Smilies

    • Tweak which smiley matches which emoji. [32105] [32107] #31709
    • Update our few remaining smilies to better align with Twemoji, and add frownie.png until Twemoji provides a build containing it. [32104] #31709
    • The emoji JS files should be run through the script_loader_src filter, as they would be if they were registered scripts. [32097] #31938
    • Tidy up the wp_encode_emoji() regex, and clarify the function comment on Unicode 8 support. [32096]
    • Remove an errant / in Twemoji URLs. [32024] #31893
    • Remove executable bit from smilies. [32109] #31709

    Themes

    • Twenty Fourteen: update editor styles to better account for adaptive images in small screens. [32094] #31934
    • Twenty Fifteen: update editor styles to better account for adaptive images in small screens. [32090] #31934
    • Theme Compat: Make string translatable and add translator comments. Added in [31941]. [32084] #28502, #31921
    • Move initialization of $customizeSidebar to api.ThemesSection.initialize() to prevent cases where the result can be undefined. [32119] #31793
    • Translator comment should just reference placeholder numbers, not the actual placeholders. [32112] #31675
    • Tell developers how to correctly silence register_sidebar() notices. [32110] #31675

    Customizer

    Theme Switcher

    • Fix some esoteric breakage in iOS Safari. [32103] #31794
    • Don’t deactivate section on empty search results. [32083] #31889
    • Remove “Add New” reference from customize-controls.js. [32004] #31837
    • Use text input for the search field to prevent double tap issues for Preview and Customize buttons on iOS. [32127] #31794
    • Don’t re-render a theme control if it has already been rendered.
    • Lazy load theme screenshots. [32088] #31793
    • Fix tabbing order if section is open. [32087] #31289
    • Fix preview URL for subfolder installs. [32086] #31896

    Shiny Updates

    • Disable shiny updates from modal based on parent window [32082] #31739
    • Fix logic for details based shiny updates. [32080] #31739
    • Disable modal initiated shiny updates on wp-admin/update-core.php. [32067] #31739
    • Use dashes instead of dots as separator for jQuery events in shiny updates . is used for namespaces, so better to use dashes. [32063] #31819
    • Trigger events upon the completion of a shiny update. [32061] #31819
    • Remove Shiny Bulk Updates. Bulk updates don’t need to be ajaxified so let’s revert. [32053] #31770, #29820
    • Conditionally add AYS to leaving shiny updates. [32052] #31769
    • Enable users to initiate a shiny update from plugin detail modal. [32062] #31739

    Media

    • Don’t allow whitespace-only image captions from the Media modal. [32079] #21848
    • Fix focus and selected state for the selected attachments set. [32072] #31898
    • Rename get_media_embedded_in_content_allowed filter tomedia_embedded_in_content_allowed_types. [32113] #26675
    • Bring back spinners, now without bouncing select elements. [32101] #22839, #30725
    • Fix the media modal Insert into post button on narrow screens by limiting the width of .media-toolbar-primary and .media-toolbar-secondary only inside .attachments-browser (the top toolbar). [32121] #31908
    • Insert from URL: Make sure the link text is actually used. [32055] #29476
    • Make sure the spinner in the media modal is visible on narrow screens (without affecting the media grid). [32120] #30725

    Build Tools

    • Don’t override minified libraries included in core. [32066] #31477

    Docs

    • Remove unnecessary inline @see tags from a variety of parameter and return descriptions in wp-includes/wp-db.php. [32050] #31888
    • Remove unnecessary inline @see tags from the wpdb::process_field_charsets()DocBlock. [32049] #31888
    • Add a missing return description for has_header_image(). [32048] #31888
    • Fix a variety of inline documentation syntactical issues in wp-includes/taxonomy.php. [32047] #31888
    • Add a missing @access tag to the DocBlock for the WP_Meta_Query->$clauses property. Also adds a missing return description for WP_Meta_Query::get_clauses(). [32044] #31888
    • Add a variety of missing descriptions and fix syntax for wp_scripts(),_wp_scripts_maybe_doing_it_wrong(), and wp_script_add_data(). [32040] #31888
    • Remove an unnecessary inline @see tag and document the $wpdb global in two WP_Comment_Query methods. [32038] #31888
    • Add missing parameter and return descriptions to WP_Customize_Widgets->filter_customize_dynamic_setting_args(). [32036] #31888
    • Add parameter and return descriptions for WP_Customize_Widgets->get_setting_type(). [32035] #31888
    • Add missing @access tags to two DocBlocks in WP_Customize_Setting. [32034] #31888
    • Document the $theme property in WP_Customize_Themes_Section. Also adds a missing@access tag to the DocBlock for WP_Customize_Themes_Section->render(). [32033] #31888
    • Cleanup DocBlock syntax, add a missing parameter description for WP_Customize_Manager->set_post_value(). [32031] #31888
    • Add inline doc syntax fixes for WP_Customize_Manager->doing_ajax(). Also adds a return description. [32030] #31888
    • Add documentation for the $type and $theme properties in WP_Customize_Theme_Control. Also add some missing @access tags to various DocBlocks. [32028] #31888
    • Fix description alignment for the category_css_class filter docs. [32026] #31888
    • Add documentation for the $type, $mime_type, and $button_labels properties in WP_Customize_Media_Control. [32023] #31888
    • Clarify the DocBlock summary and parameter description forwp_edit_attachments_query_vars(). [32019] #31888
    • Add proper descriptions for the @global and @param tags in the wp_media_attach_action() DocBlock. [32018] #31888
    • Clarify the DocBlock description for wp_print_request_filesystem_credentials_modal(). [32016] #31888
    • Clarify 4.2.0 changelog entry, add global description to the DocBlock for WP_Users_List_Table->single_row(). [32015] #31888
    • Add missing @since versions from a variety of methods in WP_Press_This. [32014] #31888
    • Add missing DocBlocks for the _limit_array(), _limit_string(), _limit_url(),_limit_img(), _limit_embed(), and _process_meta_entry() utility methods in WP_Press_This. [32013] #31888
    • Add a return description to the DocBlock for WP_Posts_List_Table->is_base_request(). [32009] #31888
    • Add an @see mention for Plugin_Upgrader, plus spacing to the wp_ajax_update_plugin()delcaration. [32006] #31888
    • Add a more descriptive function summary for options_discussion_add_js(). [32005] #31888
    • Fix Docblock syntax for the taxonomy_parent_dropdown_args filter. [32003] #31888
    • Add a missing return description for wp_styles(). [32041] #31888
    • wp_install_maybe_enable_pretty_permalinks() should have a consistent @return value. [32027] #6481, #31888

    Help/About

    • All strings are available for translation. [32132] [32135] [32136] #31929
    • Change the subhead strings on credits.php and freedoms.php to match about.php.
    • Link the Emoji Codex article in the emoji blurb.
    • Add a second sentence to the JavaScript Accessibility blurb.
    • Switch positions for the JavaScript Accessibility and Complex Query Ordering sections for balance. [32131] #31929
    • Update about page for 4.2. [32118] [32123] [32130] #31929

    Upgrade/Install

    • Move wp-plugin-update-success event to after lock is released [32133] #31978, #31819
    • Use named function instead of anonymous function, making it testable and replaceable. [32126] #31964
    • When dbDelta() is checking whether an index is defined in a CREATE TABLE statement, don’t worry if MySQL has a subpart defined on an index, but the CREATE TABLE doesn’t. [32108] #31869

    Script Loader

    Press This

    • Do not show the bookmarklet upgrade notice when accessing directly press-this.php. [32122] #31968
    • Add mb_strlen() compatibility function. Works the same way as the existing mb_substr() compatibility function. [32114] #31951
    • Check the bookmarklet version and add the update notice from PHP. [32106] #31942
    • Add ARIA attributes to the alerts container. [32102] #31942
    • Fix focusing the Standard Editor link after saving draft, if the user has not focused another element. [32098] #31923
    • Change the link text to Standard Editor. [32093] #31923
    • When saving a draft change the text of the Save Draft button to “Saving…” [32092] #31923
    • Update documentation for press_this_save_redirect filter after [31992]. [32143] #31996

    Taxonomy

    • wp_update_term() should check if get_term() returned null. [32117] #31954
    • Avoid an unexpected object error when syncing global terms. Pass the expected single value, rather than object, when recursively calling global_terms(). [32064] #31914, #31149

    Editor

    Thanks to @adamsilverstein, @afercia, @awbauer, @azaozz, @boonebgorges, @DavidAnderson, @dimadin, @dlh, @DrewAPicture, @ericlewis, @hauvong, @helen, @hugobaeta, @iseulde, @jamescollins, @jeremyfelt, @joemcgill, @joen, @johnbillion, @jorbin, @kraftbj, @lancewillett, @markjaquith, @mattheu, @Michael-Arestad, @mindrun, @morganestes, @nacin, @nitkr, @obenland, @ocean90, @pavelevap, @pento, @peterwilsoncc, @samuelsidler, @SergeyBiryukov, @siobhan, @sirbrillig, @slobodanmanic, @swissspidy, @tmatsuur, @Tmeiste, @tyxla, @valendesigns, @westonruter, and @wonderboymusic for their contributions!

     
  • Drew Jaynes 10:00 am on April 13, 2015 Permalink
    Tags: ,   

    This Week in 4.2: April 13 – 19 

    This is the jump-start post for the thirteenth week of the WordPress 4.2 release cycle.

    Last week, we missed tagging RC1 after losing momentum on our ticket goals toward the end of the week. We also missed hitting the “hard” string freeze.

    Core Meetings this week:

    Priorities this week:

    Committers: please follow up on any tickets you own. We’re running out of time to hit our release date goal. We need to freeze strings and actually tag RC1, in that order, as soon as possible

    Remaining tickets on Report 6 that must be closed or punted to tag RC1 are as follows:

    • #26111wp_localize_script array from callback for performance
      The recommendation is for @wonderboymusic to revert [31030] and [31033] and regroup in 4.3.
    • #31793Theme Switcher: Lazy load theme screenshots
      Waiting for a followup from @westonruter on the latest patch
    • #30725Add media modal – different select width
      Looking for direction from @helen on what an MVP fix would look like
    • #31794Theme Switcher: Improve mobile experience
      Latest patch needs to be reviewed and committed, and we should decide if the rest is worth tackling in 4.2.
    • #31908Insert into post button runs off the side of the screen on small devices
      The recommendation is to commit the latest patch and handle #30725 following that
    • #31912Media splitting: don’t copy the media folder to the build directory
      The latest patch from @ocean90 needs to be reviewed and committed by either @wonderboymusic or @jorbin
    • #319294.2 About Page
      The initial patch needs to be committed so we can keep design separate from content. The About page strings need to be finalized in order to institute “hard” string freeze. @melchoyce and @ryelle are in the process of engineering and designing around the content

    Recent notable updates:

     
  • Pascal Birchler 11:18 am on April 4, 2015 Permalink
    Tags: ,   

    WordPress Core Weekly 

    Here we go again! It’s time to look at what’s going on in WordPress core. This edition of WordPress Core Weekly covers March 28, 2015 [31916] through April 4, 2015 [32002].

    Note: If you want to write the next WordPress Core Weekly summary, check out the schedule over at make/docs and get in touch in the #core-weekly-update Slack channel.

    Highlights from this week

    This week WordPress 4.2 Beta 4 got released. This hopefully last beta saw lots of accessibility improvements and added the ability to make admin notices dismissible. Emoji support in core is now pretty stable – maybe the next weekly post is written in emojis only? Also, there were some notes posted on utf8mb4 and the term splitting in WordPress 4.2.

    Last but not least, @obenland and @wonderboymusic were announced as release leads for WordPress 4.3 and 4.4, respectively. Congrats! 🎉

    Code Updates

    Posts, Post Types

    • After [31114] and [31323], ‘View Post’ generated in get_sample_permalink_html() should go to pretty permalink. [32002] #30910
    • Avoid duplicate classes for different terms with UTF–8 slugs in post_class() and body_class(). [31979] #30883
    • In WP_Posts_List_Table::get_views(), don’t add the current class to the all status link if ->user_posts_count has a value, which triggers the additional mine status. [31959] #24869

    Users

    • WP_User_Query: When querying users with fields=all, ensure that caps and roles are filled for the current site. [32001] #31878
    • When updating the email address for an existing user, make sure the email address is not already in use. [31963] #30647

    Comments

    General

    Emoji

    • Enhance twemoji.js to support passing of additional attributes for the replacement images. [31948] #31627
    • When encoding emoji into HTML entities, 0 was being incorrectly trimmed from the right side of the hex string, causing some characters to be encoded incorrectly. [31926]
    • When staticizing emoji into <img> tags, include an alt attribute of the original Emoji, to match both Smiley and Twemoji <img> tags. [31924]
    • Change the emoji CDN to w.org, from wp.com. [31938][31977] #31651

    Themes

    • Accessibility improvements for Themes screen: fix keyboard events and callbacks for the Search field, increase trigger timeout a bit, improve Esc. key handling. [31994] #26600
    • Improve focus styling of add-new-theme link. [31952] #31203
    • Add a filter to short-circuit wp_prepare_themes_for_js(). [31943] #31789

    Administration

    • Accessibility improvements for Options general screen: add missing labels and aria attributes. [31993] #31144
    • Accessibility: Add landmark roles to WordPress admin areas. [31955] #31450
    • Make sure the update button in “At a Glance” dashboard widget does not overlap with long strings. [31928] #30766

    Press This

    • Prevent pasting of HTML in the title H2. Insert the clipboard text instead. [31987] #31768
    • Use more accurate wording on Tools screen. [31980] #31836
    • Use the error message returned by wp_update_post() instead of a generic one. [31930] #31808
    • Fix accessibility for the post options “sidebar”. Fix size of the Add Category button. [31925] #31575

    Upgrade/Install

    • Introduce a string representing bulk plugin update success, ready for string freeze. Not used yet. [31991] #31770
    • Plugins Browser: Replace the download count with the number of Active installs of the plugin. [31990] #31865
    • Add beforeunload string for shiny updates. [31989] #31769
    • Update aria-label when doing a shiny plugin update [31982] #31722
    • Add some logic into wp_tempnam to prevent it creating ‘falsey’ directory names that might get used elsewhere within WordPress. [31936] #31811

    I18N

    • Merge title strings on Edit Site screens. [31962] #31844
    • Remove unused printf() on network setup screen. [31961] #31841
    • Decouple strings where the singular and plural form are not just the same string with different numbers, but essentially two different strings. [31941][31951] #28502

    Customize

    • Theme Switcher: Navigation streamlining. [31975] #31289
    • Theme Switcher: Remove “Add New” references. [31968] #31837
    • Theme Switcher: Switch the details/live preview buttons. [31954] #31791
    • Theme Switcher: Use the global panel back button instead of adding a new one. [31918] #31794
    • Theme Switcher: Fix invalid HTML markup when New Theme control is added. [31950] #31203
    • Make the available widgets overlay closable on narrow screens. [31974] #28784
    • Defer rendering theme controls until the section is displayed. [31944] #31793
    • Revert [31911]. We want to preserve url and return URL parameters to make the experience smoother. [31933] #31782
    • Increase size of search field and disable text size adjustment to prevent auto zooming. [31917] #31794
    • Increase initial-scale viewport specification to 1.0. [31921] #31794, #28784
    • Fix selector for container which includes the controls. Broken since [30102]. [31916] #31794, #31014

    XML-RPC

    • Correctly set the post author in wp_xmlrpc_server::mw_editPost() when the current user is not the author of the post. [31983] #24916

    Networks and Sites

    Administration

    • Admin notices: Make (most) core notices dismissible. These no longer return upon refreshing the page when JS is on and working, so users should be able to dismiss them. [31973] #31233, #23367

    Bundled Theme

    • Twenty Eleven: add postMessage support for header_textcolor to improve the user experience in the Customizer. [31971] #24128
    • Twenty Fifteen: adjust scroll behavior to make sure sidebar height is calculated during scroll events, not just resize events. [31934] #31734
    • Twenty Thirteen: make sure submenu links work correctly on small screens with touch events. [31932] #31762

    Formatting

    • Alter the regex in wptexturize() to properly handle input like: <> "Hello world" <>. [31965] #30344

    Permalinks

    • When shifting WP_Rewrite::flush_rules() to a later action if it was called too early, make sure to do a hard flush if requested. [31964] #30501

    Media

    • When editing an image from the editor, and the image has a value for alignment (but not for width or caption), don’t bail without first checking that the alignment’s value is not alignnone. If so, add the class to the <a> before bailing. [31958] #21848
    • Media Library: Add a label for attachment type select in list mode. [31942] #31795

    Editor

    Database

    • When we check the character set of a column, and find that it’s utf8mb4, we should also check that the current connection supports utf8mb4. It’s possible that the environment may have changed since upgrading the DB, so we can fall back to utf8 when that happens. [31947] #31771
    • When we’re checking to see if the MySQL client library supports utf8mb4, we need a separate check for mysqlnd versions, which using different version numbering to libmysqlclient. [31939] #31644

    Login and Registration

    • Disable body scrolling when session expired log in modal is open. [31945] #31610

    Media

    • Revert using require for JS modules because that made them read-only for the public. [31935] #31684, #28510

    Menus

    • Fix duplicate ID for Save Menu button on Menus screen. [31927] #31803

    Thanks to @A5hleyRich, @adamsilverstein, @afercia, @azaozz, @boonebgorges, @cdog, @celloexpressions, @davideugenepratt, @dd32, @deconf, @Denis-de-Bernardy, @designsimply @dllh, @DrewAPictur, @DrewAPicture, @ericlewis, @evansolomon, @folletto, @helen, @iseulde, @jeremyfelt, @joedolson, @johnbillion, @jorbin, @jorbin, @kraftbj, @lancewillett, @markoheijnen, @mattheu, @mattwiebe, @MattyRob, @mehulkaklotar, @MikeHansenMe, @miqrogroove, @mordauk, @mrahmadawais, @ocean90, @paulwilde, @pento, @ramiy, @redsweater, @rittesh.patel, @sagarjadhav, @SergeyBiryukov, @sgrant, @stephdau, @swissspidy, @tyxla, @valendesigns, @westonruter, and @wonderboymusic for their contributions!

     
c
compose new post
j
next post/next comment
k
previous post/previous comment
r
reply
e
edit
o
show/hide comments
t
go to top
l
go to login
h
show/hide help
shift + esc
cancel
Skip to toolbar