It’s that time again: WordPress Core Weekly is here. This is a catchup post and covers all commits since the last post up until 11/9/2014.
First, a couple quick notes!
- A large number of Taxonomy changes, listed below, continue the Taxonomy Roadmap.
- There were a flurry of commits from @wonderboymusic with additional Scrutinizer cleanup, visible at #30224.
- A huge pass at Unit Test updates and speed optimization landed, primarily from @boonebgorges, @jeremyfelt, and @jorbin. Full details in the log on Trac.
- Just outside of the scope of this post, the first pass at the Focus feature plugin landed, so go test it out!
- Do not create shared taxonomy terms.  #21950; See #5809.
- Split shared taxonomy terms during term update.    #5809
- Don’t force
child_of=0for non-hierarchical taxonomies in
get_terms().  #30275
term_taxonom_id.  #29663, #22112.
resource_typeto be specified in
get_ancestors(). Being explicit about resource type (
post_type) allows for the proper resolution of conflicts when a
post_typeshare a slug.  #15029
wp_insert_term(), clean up accidental duplicate terms after insert.  See #22023, #5809.
- Add some unit tests for
is_object_in_term(). These tests check a number of the ways that different kinds of values for
$terms(integers that match
term_id, strings that match
nameor slug) are handled.  #29467
in_object_in_term(), only check numeric string values against
term_id.  #29467
get_the_taxonomies()to allow theme and plugin authors to specify the formatting on term links as they are parsed into the taxonomy list.  See #27238.
- Allow duplicate slugs across different post types.  #18962
get_terms(), do not override
parentis present. The previous behavior resulted in descendant terms being improperly excluded from the results when passing a
parent, even when
hierarchicalhad been set to
true.  #29815
- Clean up
get_term_by()caching, fix cache key/group modification that was missed in , and update unit tests.  #21760
- Use new core navigation tags.  #30189
- Support for
title-tag.  #30146
- Improve support for customizer.   #29988;  #30164 #29980;  #30165
- Improve accessibility by clarifying link context #30108 , adding accessible alt text for post thumbnail links.  #30076, and using continue reading links for auto-generated excerpts  #30135.
- Prevent a flash of visible sub menus before scripts load.  #30056.
- Detach widgets from the header in mobile views.  #30252
- Improve Styles for playlists   #30163, user-selected custom colors  #30234, and image alignment for RTL  #30239, and body class for page templates  #23470.
- Make sure that the edit link will always be right of its icon.  #30171
- Add a fallback icon for social links where we don’t have an icon.  #30148
- Use the new archive template tags and make archive template titling simpler.  #30246
db_versionand add upgrade routine for schema change in .   #22023
__get()function should perform strict comparisons against member names. 
- Allow revision Backbone classes to be used on pages other than revision.php.  #30221
- Add a single responsibility function for outputting Revisions JS templates:
wp_print_revision_templates(). Use it in
wp-admin/revision.php.  #30220
- Revisions modules should not rely on global settings; only pass in global settings on init, this allows the classes to be used agnostically elsewhere.  #30219
- Pass all updated meta IDs to filters in
update_metadata().  #11683
keyis omitted.  #15030
- Improvements to
WP_User_Query #23849, #27026 and
dayofweek_isotime param for
WP_Date_Query.  #28063
- Display error message when Media Library upload fails.   #29891
admin_created_user_subject()rather than deprecate. As it was never used as anything more than a callback to a filter before the MU merge, and is only available in
user-new.phpin multisite, it is safe to remove this function entirely.  #29915
wpColorPickerto update UI based on setting changes. Update Twenty Fifteen’s
colorSchemecontrol to properly interact with the API, using
wp.customize.control().  #30031
- Add stable sorting for panels, sections and controls in JS. Improve sorting in PHP.  #30225
propertychangeevents for range input types.  #30223
- Twenty Fourteen: Make featured content in Customizer contextual to the front page.  #29578
- Introduce new template functions for archive titles and descriptions:  #21995
the_archive_title()for returning/displaying the title of the current term, date, post type, post format, or author archive.
the_archive_description()for returning/displaying the description associated with the current term archive.
get_page_children(), only check
$page->ancestorsonce to avoid duplicates when the function recurses. Adds an argument,
$ancestors.  #18962
child_ofpassed to it, to work with interrupted hierarchies.  #18962
Thanks to @afercia, @avryl, @azaozz, @bobbingwide, @boonebgorges, @bradyvercher, @Caspie, @celloexpressions, @dancameron, @davidakennedy, @davidjlaietta, @dikiy_forester, @dlh, @donutz, @DrewAPicture, @ericlewis, @filosofo, @florianziegler, @garyc40, @gcorne, @greuben, @hereswhatidid, @iamtakashi, @iandstewart, @imath, @Jayjdk, @jeremyfelt, @jesin, @joedolson, @johnbillion, @jorbin, @kitchin, @kovshenin, @kraftbj, @kurtpayne, @lancewillett, @landakram, @loushou, @markjaquith, @mattkeys, @mattwiebe, @mboynes, @MikeHansenMe, @mlteal, @mordauk, @morganestes, @nacin, @NikV, @nobinobi, @obenland, @ocean90, @pento, @philiparthurmoore, @realloc, @rmccue, @ryankienstra, @sakinshrestha, @SergeyBiryukov, @slobodanmanic, @TobiasBg, @tollmanz, @tywayne, @voldemortensen, @wedi, @westonruter, and @wonderboymusic for their core contributions!
Interested in joining in? Write or test a patch for 4.1.