WordPress 4.1 development is under way. See the release schedule for the key dates.
Here’s an overview of the headline features for this release. If you’d like to get involved with mockups, design, development, documentation, testing – anything really – see the users and tickets listed below each item.
- Further work on the editor focus which was introduced in 4.0, and DFW. Here are the initial ideas from yesterday’s chat.
@MarkJaquith @azaozz @avryl
- Improve the performance of dropdown menus of users and posts (ie. the page parent selector), most likely by implementing Select2.
@helen and @ericlewis
- UI on the user profile screen which displays a user’s logged in sessions and allows them to be logged out.
@johnbillion @DrewAPicture @aaronjorbin
- New default theme, Twenty Fifteen.
@iamtakashi @obenland @iandstewart
- Improved UI for installing and updating plugins and themes (async installation), possibly core too.
@nacin @pento (by proxy) @melchoyce
Not yet. Prior art here
- Improvements to media management on mobile devices.
Awaiting tickets based on Ryan’s reports here
- Ability to install new languages after install.
@SergeyBiryukov @ocean90 @johnbillion
- Meta, Date, and Tax Query improvements.
More details here
Other areas which will receive attention during this release: