Dev Chat Agenda for November 22nd (4.9.1 week 1)

This is the agenda for the weekly dev meeting on November 22, 2017 at 21:00 UTC / November 22, 2017 at 21:00 UTC:

  • 4.9 feedback + 4.9.1 planning
  • Request for devchat lead next week
  • General announcements

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#4-9, #4-9-1, #agenda, #dev-chat

Multisite Recap for the week of November 13th

Office Hours Recap

The agenda for this office hours meeting was to discuss adopting Trello as a way to manage status, progress, and ownership on tasks, as well as progress on multisite roadmap with a target to publish an initial version before WCUS.

The meeting’s chat log

Attendees: @desrosj, @flixos90, @jeremyfelt, @spacedmonkey, @vizkr

Chat Summary:

  • The full roadmap draft should be in place by November 21st, in order for the document to be published a week later, on November 28th, so that it is out before WordCamp US. @flixos90 and @jeremyfelt will have another look to complete the remaining sections.
  • After discussing possible usage of Trello in a collaborative way, the conclusion was that what is missing the most is an easy-to-use UI to manage required tasks and assignees for tickets on Trac. However most of the functionality is already in place and could be used through workarounds, so the decision was made not to use Trello for now. Instead the goal is to be more precise with defining tasks when assigning a ticket and generally assign tickets around between the responsible parties for a part of it more deliberately, instead of having a single owner through most of a ticket’s lifecycle. In a perfect world, there would be more possibilities to choose from when assigning a ticket to somebody, such as “update patch” or “write unit tests”, but for now these tasks can also be determined in regular comment text.

Next meeting

The next office hours will take place on November 21th, 2017, 17:00 UTC. Its agenda will be to review the roadmap draft and then discuss #42252.

Ticket Scrub Recap

No ticket scrub took place this week.

Next meeting

The next ticket scrub will take place on November 20th, 2017, 18:00 UTC. Its agenda will be to determine the current state and required tasks of tickets scheduled for 5.0 and assign them accordingly.

If you were unable to attend one of these meetings but have feedback, please share your thoughts in the comments on this post. In case there’s a need for further discussion we will ensure to make time for it in one of next week’s chats. See you next week!

#multisite, #networks-sites, #summary

Updated REST API meeting time

As with the other team meetings of late, this week brings a new time for the REST API team’s weekly meeting time! In light of the difficulty coordinating Asia/Pacific and US time zones we will be switching a bit later to 22:00 UTC on Wednesdays (22:00 UTC on November 15 this week), immediately following the weekly core dev chat.

Please note that this week’s meeting is liable to be light, as we encourage everyone to participate and dev chat and to pay attention to the planned 4.9 release! We’ll be meeting in full force again post-release next week to discuss plans for the next development cycle. 

Dev Chat Agenda for November 15th (4.9 week 16)

This is the agenda for the weekly dev meeting on November 15, 2017 at 21:00 UTC / November 15, 2017 at 21:00 UTC:

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#4-9, #agenda, #dev-chat

Multisite Recap for the week of November 6th

Office Hours Recap

The agenda for this office hours meeting was open floor.

The meeting's chat log

Attendees: @florian-tiar, @spacedmonkey, @desrosj, @flixos90, @mikelking, @jeremyfelt

Chat Summary:

  • There was a loose discussion on the tickets that should be focused on at the beginning of the 5.0 cycle.
  • Caching in WP_Site_Query will be a big focus at first. Tickets #42252, #42280, #42251. There was a brief discussion on some approaches.
  • Implementing new install and update methods in #41333.
  • Using the meta API for network options in #37181.
  • The new multisite roadmap is getting there and should be ready to publish before WordCamp US.

Next meeting

The next office hours will take place on November 14th, 2017, 17:00 UTC. Its agenda will be:

  • Discuss adopting Trello as a way to manage status, progress, and ownership on tasks.
  • Progress on multisite roadmap with a target to publish an initial version before WCUS.
  • Any progress on 5.0 tickets.

#4-9, #multisite, #network-sites, #summary

Core JavaScript Meeting Time Change

In response to feedback collected during and after last week’s JavaScript chat, the scheduled time of these meetings has been changed to occur one hour later, starting tomorrow at Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 14:00 UTC and at the same time each Tuesday thereafter.

A few respondents had indicated preference for an Asia/Pacific-friendly meeting time. If enough interest can be generated, a separate meeting may be justifiable. Please indicate in the comments below if you would have interest in regularly attending at a time convenient for this region.

#javascript

PHP Meeting Recap – November 6th

This recap is a summary of this week’s PHP meeting. It highlights the ideas and decisions which came up during that meeting, both as a means of documenting and to provide a quick overview for those who were unable to attend.

The meeting’s chat log.

Attendees: @bpayton @flixos90 @jdgrimes @mte90 @nerrad @overclokk @psykro @schlessera @vizkr

Chat Summary

The agenda for this week was to review the suggestions @flixos90 has worked on for the “Before Upgrading PHP” section that is available in the Google document, taking the past weeks’ discussions into account.

As other important topics had come up after the agenda had been laid out though, the discussion ended up revolving around different topics, only taking a short peak at the document towards the end of the meeting. Here is the discussion summary:

  • @flixos90 shared some great news about the tool that the XWP team has been working on, which had been mentioned a few times before in other meetings: The tool automatically scans all plugins in the plugin repository for their usage of the WordPress coding standards and, more important for the PHP team, their compatibility with different PHP versions from 5.2 to 7.x. The project is going to be an official part of the repository, and all of this will be handled through an external API. The results of the scans will be displayed on the respective plugin page, and the PHP compatibility checker could leverage that data as well. The API will even be able to scan plugins and themes which are not part of the repository, by temporarily uploading them. This will allow to test even paid or custom developed plugins and themes. That part will not be exposed through any UI in the initial release, but it will be possible through the API.
  • @nerrad commented that this will likely require some changes on the Servehappy page copy that exists so far. These changes will likely be minor though and most importantly take away some points of uncertainty that with that tool at hand won’t matter anymore.
  • It would make sense for the PHP Compatibility Checker to leverage that API, so it needs to be discussed with the responsible people at WP Engine what steps should be taken here. The new API could either be used in addition for more accurate results, but it may possibly even be better to replace the current mechanism with it entirely, as it would improve speed significantly because it could in many cases use data that has already been gathered before rather than running the expensive checks on the server.
  • The above two topics should be discussed in detail once the API has been officially released to the public.
  • @psykro asked whether it would be possible to change the meeting time or host a second meeting. Everyone who responded was open to a change, however it should preferably remain close to when it’s currently scheduled (every Monday at 19:00 UTC). If you are interested, please leave your vote(s) on this Slack post.
  • @mte90 asked about the new plugin headers for a minimum required PHP version and specifically about when the integration with core for it should be developed. While core should not include any PHP-related notices or warnings until the Servehappy page is published, it makes sense to start work on it before. This will not be a major topic for the PHP meetings for now, but should mainly happen in its Trac ticket #40934, unless a rather complex topic comes up which would benefit from a discussion in a meeting. @psykro, @schlessera and @mte90 expressed their interest in working on this. Mockups for the visual side of things should be created early, and the #design team should be asked for help with this. Since the project will likely involve quite a bit of code and it’s not optimal managing this solely through Trac, it was suggested to go either with a plugin-first approach or use a GitHub fork of the WordPress development repository.
  • After that, attendees started reviewing the sections in the Google document and added some comments and suggestions. @nerrad highlighted that the last section about contacting a developer should only be targeted at those site owners that already have an ongoing relationship with one, or at least already know one. People who have never hired a developer are unlikely to do so for a “random” PHP upgrade. More in-depth review and discussion on the Google document was postponed to next week’s meeting.

Next week’s meeting

The next meeting will take place on November 13th, 2017, 19:00 UTC as always in #core-php, and its agenda will be to actually review the initial suggested copy for the “Before Upgrading PHP” section so that it can be passed on to the marketing team afterwards. If you have suggestions about this but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account. See you next week!

#core-php, #php, #summary

Dev Chat Agenda for November 8th (4.9 week 15)

This is the agenda for the weekly dev meeting on November 8, 2017 at 21:00 UTC / November 8, 2017 at 21:00 UTC:

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#4-9, #agenda, #dev-chat

Devchat time change

As Daylight Saving Time ends this Sunday, November 5th, we will shift the time for devchat starting next week on Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 21:00 UTC / Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 21:00 UTC. See you then!

#dev-chat

PHP Meeting Recap – October 30th

This recap is a summary of this week’s PHP meeting. It highlights the ideas and decisions which came up during that meeting, both as a means of documenting and to provide a quick overview for those who were unable to attend.

The meeting’s chat log.

Attendees: @flixos90 @jdgrimes @mte90 @nerrad @schlessera @vizkr

Chat Summary

The agenda for this week was to discuss the last remaining GitHub issue for the “Before Upgrading PHP” section and review the Google document for it that @schlessera had created from the previous discussion results.

  • @flixos90 gave a quick update on the current state of the PHP Compatibility Checker plugin by WP Engine:
    • The sales call to action was already removed on the GitHub repo. It’s not in the public release yet, but it’s done.
    • The plugin is currently not 5.2-compatible, but will be made that.
    • In order to use the best PHPCompat library version possible, the plugin will bundle both the last 5.2-compatible version as a static dependency and then the latest version via Composer. Those will be loaded as necessary.
    • Instead of allowing the user to test for a specific PHP version, the plugin should offer a way to automatically scan for all recommended PHP versions and in the end recommend the user which version to upgrade to (if no errors in the latest version, recommend that one; otherwise proceed; give them a quick comparison overview at the end). This will make the process easier.
    • In that automatic procedure, older versions than 5.6 should only ever be checked if all other newer versions include failures. Under these circumstances, the idea is that it’s still better for a site to be on PHP 5.4 for example than 5.2.
    • All of this will be worked on. However, as there’s currently no timeline, there’s no pressure there. Once there is an idea on when it’s needed, the WP Engine team should be informed.
  • The GitHub issue about contacting a developer was considered a bit fuzzy, as it is probably only useful for cases where a site was initially set up by a developer, but then never maintained. In these cases the site owner may still have a developer of choice that they can contact. In case a site is actively being maintained by a developer, it’s unlikely that it’s still on such an old setup. But even there it might help. It was decided to include this recommendation as the last paragraph, to not overemphasize it. @nerrad suggested to go with something like the following:

    While the steps above are something we believe any WordPress site owner can do, if you have an existing relationship with a developer/agency, you may want to also consult with them regarding the specific needs for your site.

  • Regarding the sections in the Google document, it was decided that the “Updates” section should follow right after the “Backup and rollback plan” one as it builds upon that.
  • It is still unclear how to handle the plugin and theme-related sections, both in terms of getting support and finding replacements. The idea of a crowdsourced list of plugins and whether they have any issues and which ones is nothing that can be relied upon yet. Plugin alternatives cannot be recommended without affecting the plugin market in an opinionated way, the only solution here would be a “Related plugins” functionality in the repository, but this would be something else far away from execution. For now these sections should be kept vague enough, while being as precise as possible about everything else.
  • It must be clarified that while a backup helps with issues of WordPress core, plugins or themes, it does not back up the PHP version. If the PHP upgrade breaks a site, the entire PHP version needs to be rolled back, so contacting the host would be required again.
  • In order to get this document to a place where it can be handed over to the marketing team, actual copy suggestions like in the initial Servehappy document will be needed. Right now a lot of it is summary including things some of which should not actually be emphasized as much in the final document.
  • The current Google doc should be reworked to only include draft copy as content, and anything that’s currently there and significant to know in addition should be added as context-sensitive comments. @flixos90 started work on this as of now, and anyone is welcome to chime in with more suggestions, which will then be reviewed in the next meeting.

Next week’s meeting

The next meeting will take place on November 6th, 2017, 19:00 UTC as always in #core-php, and its agenda will be to review the initial suggested copy for the “Before Upgrading PHP” section so that it can be passed on to the marketing team afterwards. If you have suggestions about this but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account. See you next week!

#core-php, #php, #summary