Here’s the agenda for today’s Dev Chat in the #core channel on Slack.
Time/Date: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 16:00 UTC-4:
- New Committers were announced
- Who wants to be the backup lead?
- Schedule is still being decided, looking at WordCamp US timetables
- Community Feedback
What’s going to be in 4.4?
There is still a lot to decide this week, but there are some things I know for sure we want to work on:
Announcement Post: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/08/25/introducing-twenty-sixteen/
Update Post: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2015/08/25/responsive-image-support-update/
This will be worked on in a feature plugin, coupled with a healthy dose of user testing and intersecting with Boren’s Flow Patrol initiative. @sheri is going to help me with/teach me user testing, which will drive any new UX/UI media desktop/mobile/responsive initiatives.
@westonruter and team have some GREAT initiatives:
HTTP 2.0 Exploration
@tollmanz has been giving great talks about HTTP/2. He and @ericlewis are going to deep-dive and see how WordPress can prepare itself/the community for taking advantage of HTTPS/TLS/HTTP2 and identify changes that can be made in core and things like VVV to get us there.
@sheri and @melchoyce worked on this in 4.3 – we hope to pick this up again
Mutlisite, the Next Generation
@jeremyfelt is putting together a plan for
The Taxonomy Roadmap
A lot of people want Term Meta, it has some pre-reqs. @boone will give us an update of where we are in the Taxonomy Roadmap, what we’ve done, what’s left, etc.
Things that landed in the past week
- Images should default to not linking #31467 
WP_Embed::maybe_run_ajax_cache() now runs for pages 
- Term Splitting: Fix a reversal of parameters to
wp_schedule_single_event() introduced in r33621. 
post_name__in parameter for
- Comments shouldn’t have more than one
_wp_trash_meta_status entry. When deleting
_wp_trash_meta_status, also delete
- Show count next to “Approved”/fix dynamic counts when moderating comments: 
- Ensure that feeds are served with the proper Content-Type HTTP header. 
is_post_type_viewable( $post_type_object )/Don’t show certain UI pieces when a post is not viewable on the front end 
'post_edit_category_parent_dropdown_args' filter 
- new filters:
- Add new constant:
- Ensure that
attachment_url_to_postid() matches cross-scheme when front-end and back-end schemes are different. 
- Add a query var,
'title', that allows you to query posts by
wp_sanitize_redirect(), don’t eat @ characters. 
wp_insert_user(), add a filter:
wpdb::get_table_from_query() didn’t find table names with hyphens in them. 
- oEmbed: Remove blip.tv , add ReverbNation 
'tag' querystrings to be formatted as arrays. 
- Multisite: Add
'invite_user' action that fires immediately after a user is invited to join a site, but before the notification is sent. 
- Pass option name to option and transient filters with dynamic names. 
- Move a lot of classes into their own file, same with functions, load both in the original file: Widgets  HTTP  Users  Comments  Rewrite  Roles  Posts  Tax  Meta