It’s been a while since I updated everyone here about progress on the Fields API. I’ve been hard at work in the code and haven’t come up for air until now, but I’m planning on more regular updates in the coming weeks 🙂
Lots of progress since our last chat summary in early October, here’s a bird’s eye view of what we’ve been up to:
- @sc0ttkclark built the User Profile implementation, replicating everything that the User Profile screen currently does but it’s through the Fields API, still some things left to do to complete it
- @nicholas_io built the Widget form implementation, allowing for widgets to register their own fields and not have to build tedious custom form markup and saving, still some tweaks and a revision to make in the structure
- @diddledan built the Nav Menu Item implementation, after reviewing my User Profile implementation
- @idealien and @tomharrigan are still working on fleshing out a Post Editor implementation
Where can we use help right now?
- Review our User Profile screen implementation, let us know if it makes sense to you as a developer. It’s the kind of code you’ll be looking at needing for any custom screens you want to implement in plugins or themes, and it’s the kind of code we’re looking at using for other WordPress screens too (Post editor screen, Term editor screen, etc..)
- Help us create use-cases for each type of object (Custom Post Types, Custom Taxonomies, Users, Comments, Media, Widgets, Nav Menu Items, etc..) — we’re specifically looking for what custom fields you could create for these use-cases and how it could make sense in real world scenarios. You can start out with just the structure, we can help you build the code for it.
- We’re getting ready to release this on WordPress.org as a plugin, we could use some help to write up a good readme and ensure it directs people to the correct places for involvement
So who do you contact or where do you go to help?
- Weekly Meetings are Mondays (Monday 20:00 UTC 2015) in Slack #core-fields
- Hang out in Slack #core-fields and ask questions, get help, participate
- Post issues and Pull Requests over on our GitHub
- Post a comment on our status updates
Oh and did I mention that every minute you help us, you make someone really really really happy in the future? It could be your future self that gets to reap the rewards of your hard work!