REST API Meeting Summary: May 10

This post summarizes the REST API component team meeting from May 10 in the #core-restapi channel.

Gutenberg Priorities

Following up on this blog post outlining priority REST API issues affecting Gutenberg, we discussed ongoing work to address these questions. If you’re interested in helping with these projects, review the linked blog post and tickets in the Gutenberg “Merge Proposal: REST API” milestone; all assistance is welcome!

register_meta improvements

The remainder of the meeting was focused on ongoing discussion about upcoming changes to register_meta. Per the summary posted last week, we are introducing the ability to limit meta registration to a specific “object subtype” (e.g. specify meta for a single post type, rather than forcing registration for all post types equally). We will also be introducing wrapper functions such as register_post_meta() to encourage use of the new subtype argument. See ticket #38323 for the latest patch.

The REST API team requests review from committers and any developers with prior history around meta. There’s some great discussion going on but these changes will have a strong impact on how we do data-modeling in the REST API, so we want to make sure that all interested parties are involved. See in particular this comment on trac for a summary of the latest patch, and some remaining open questions:

  • Meta-registration wrapper functions are being introduced for term and post object subtypes; should we introduce wrapper functions for comment and user meta objects, which do not currently support the concept of object subtypes?
  • Are “object type” and “object subtype” the best names for these parameters? Are they good enough?

Please check out the ticket (#38323) for further discussion.

REST API Meeting Summary: April 26

This post summarizes the REST API component team meeting from April 26 in #core-restapi (Slack archive)

Gutenberg Priorities

This meeting focused on reviewing the list of key architectural questions @danielbachhuber posted on the 23rd which need to be solved to support work on Gutenberg. Meeting attendees divided up the priority issues, and we will regroup next early next week to measure progress.

Less directly relating to to Gutenberg, @timothyblynjacobs and @schlessera are pursuing performance optimizations around schema and args generation.

May 3rd Meeting Agenda

Next week’s meeting on Thursday, May 3rd, 2018 at 17:00 UTC will focus on discussing register_meta() improvements, as detailed in @flixos90‘s post.

Please read that post and review the ticket if you have an interest in metadata and REST API data modeling!

Updated REST API Team Meeting Time

After last week's REST API meeting we are updating our standard meeting time to occur at 17:00 UTC on Thursdays (17:00 UTC on March 8 this week), to better accommodate the schedules of the regular participants.

This week we will likely continue or revisit the ongoing conversation around handling autosaves, then review open Gutenberg-related API tickets. If you have a ticket you want prioritized or want to know where help is needed, we hope to see you in #core-restapi tomorrow!

Updated REST API meeting time

As with the other team meetings of late, this week brings a new time for the REST API team’s weekly meeting time! In light of the difficulty coordinating Asia/Pacific and US time zones we will be switching a bit later to 22:00 UTC on Wednesdays (22:00 UTC on November 15 this week), immediately following the weekly core dev chat.

Please note that this week’s meeting is liable to be light, as we encourage everyone to participate and dev chat and to pay attention to the planned 4.9 release! We’ll be meeting in full force again post-release next week to discuss plans for the next development cycle. 

REST API meetings moving to 1300 UTC Weds

The REST API team meeting is moving to 13:00 UTC on Wednesdays. After several weeks of schedule difficulty we will reconvene tomorrow (Wednesday May 3 at 13:00 UTC) to reprioritize our ongoing efforts in light of the new JavaScript working group chat. See you there!

REST API team meeting agenda for February 6

The REST API team will be meeting at 21:00 UTC in #core-restapi. Please note the updated time, which has been moved to 21:00 UTC to better match the schedules of the majority of the REST API leads & contributor team.

On the agenda:

  • focus for 4.7.3 and beyond: project Trello board review & discussion
  • establish owners to complete the docs migration from wp-api.org to developer.wordpress.org
  • scrub tickets in the REST API trac component
  • open office hours

REST API: Agenda for November 7, 2016 Meeting

The weekly REST API meeting will happen in the core-restapi channel at 2016-11-07 14:00 UTC (Note to US attendees, the end of daylight savings time makes 14:00 UTC an hour earlier than in recent weeks).

On the agenda:

  • Documentation (in collaboration with @drew and the docs team): establish responsibilities & schedule to ensure documentation is adequately ported from wp-api.org to the WordPress REST API handbook during the coming weeks
  • WP-API plugin: establish ownership, goals & timeline for a stable release of the plugin to prepare for the 4.7 release to support existing plugin users and support the plugin-to-core transition
  • Ticket discussion & open floor

REST API: Agenda for October 24 Meeting

Here’s the agenda for Monday’s weekly meeting for the REST API project, at 2016-10-24 14:00 UTC in the #core-restapi channel in slack. The meeting will run for one hour.

  • Discuss post-merge Process Changes & the future of the WP-API GitHub Repository
  • Review Trac tickets: what hasn’t been migrated from GitHub?
  • Clarify priorities & responsibilities leading up to Beta 1
  • Open floor.

Meetings are every Monday at 1400 UTC. See you there!

#4-7, #agenda, #rest-api

REST API Team Meeting Notes, 2016-10-17

As a reminder, in just 30 minutes there is a meeting in #core to decide whether the REST API Content Endpoints will be merged as a part of WordPress 4.7! See the ongoing discussion of this proposal here. Note that the OAuth server is no longer proposed for merge at this time, but authentication options will be a primary focus area for the API project during the 4.8 development cycle.

The REST API Content Endpoints provide a new foundation upon which the WordPress developer community can build themes, plugins, and core feature. They represent a common standard and consistent interface across WordPress’s core content data types, and provide robust support for custom post types and meta values. These endpoints lay the foundation upon which future releases will add remote authentication options, even deeper querying abilities, and broader endpoint coverage for site management. This iterative approach fits WordPress’s development model and philosophy, advancing the project’s long-term goal of opening WordPress up to a wider developer audience and helping to ensure continued work on the REST API in the release cycles and years to come.

Meeting Notes

At today’s weekly API team meeting in core-restapi (agenda here) the team resolved all outstanding decisions milestoned for the REST API 2.0 / WordPress 4.7 merge candidate:

  • The ?filter query parameter will be removed from the REST API plugin prior to core merge, a breaking change that improves the consistency of querying the API and eliminates a set of parameters that could introduce backwards compatibility issues were they to be committed to WordPress core. A separate plugin will be published to reinstate the `filter` parameter on a strictly opt-in basis.
  • Comments on password-protected posts are being deferred as a future enhancement until a robust solution is proposed that permits the API to adequately mirror existing functionality.
  • The unfiltered_html capability should be respected by the API, and a patch will be submitted to bring the API’s behavior in line with core’s.

There are 29 tickets left in the 2.0 milestone, several of which have open pull requests already. These issues represent a mix of outstanding bugs, documentation needs and improvements that will be moved to trac should the merge proposal be accepted.

The REST API team leads would like to recognize that the content endpoints plugin now has 95 contributors: thank you and welcome to all of the new participants who have joined the project in the past week!

#4-7, #meeting-notes, #rest-api

REST API: Agenda for Oct 17, 2016 Meeting

The meeting to decide whether to merge the REST API Content Endpoints in WordPress 4.7 will occur at 2016-10-18 01:00 UTC in #core!

Please comment on this feedback post with your arguments for or against.

In preparation for that meeting, we will be holding bonus weekend office hours at 2016-10-15 17:00 UTC and 2016-10-16 17:00 UTC in #core-restapi.

Our usual team meeting is also happening, on Monday at 2016-10-17 14:00 UTC. The agenda for this meeting: