Hi all. It was suggested by a community member that we participate in the upcoming Facebook Open Academy mentorship program round the way we participate in GSoC. Since I’m on my way out, I wouldn’t be the organization contact for this, and someone would need to step up from the team to take point if y’all want to be a mentoring organization. Here’s some info:
- This is a Facebook program, run in conjunction with a dozen or so universities around the world and a handful of OS projects.
- It sounds like they are looking for the mentor to work with the students using Agile sprints.
- No set time for specific projects, could last anywhere from 8 weeks to 5 months.
- You set the specific projects in advance students can apply for, no “send us your ideas” like GSoC.
- Their application asks how many students we can take, must be a minimum of four, but doesn’t have a way to list out all potential mentors up front unless so am not sure if they want each one to fill in the whole application (we’d probably want to have everyone use the same boilerplate for the ‘about the project’ bits), or if they want only one official mentor and everyone else would be unofficial.
- Mentors must be available to fly to the opening weekend sprint Jan 30-Feb 1 (Facebook pays travel).
- Students get college credit toward their CS degrees, not money.
If you want to participate, it would be good to have one person be the program administrator to keep track of applications etc. If you decide to do it and want any help from the community team, let me know.