The notes from the weekly WordPress developers chat which took place on September 20, 2023 at 20:00 UTC in the core channel of Make WordPress Slack.
No announcements were made this week.
Hallway Hangout: Performance Improvements for WordPress 6.4: Make plans to talk Performance at this hangouts session planned for October 19, 2023 at 15:00 UTC.
Analyzing the Core Web Vitals performance impact of WordPress 6.3 in the field: Read this thorough breakdown from @felixarntz of how 6.3 performance improvements have been reflected on production sites using WordPress at scale. Feedback in invited on the post.
Community Summit Discussion Notes: Increasing contributor recognition and celebration: Join the discussion on how contributor impact can be better identified and highlighted. The discussion at the summit considered the system of props, credit outside of a release, badges, encouragement of contribution.
Evolving the FSE Outreach Program: A reminder to provide feedback on the next phase for the #fse-outreach-experiment: Deadline for feedback: Friday, September 22, 2023
Additional Highlighted Post on Interoperability under Open Floor.
Next major WordPress release: 6.4
The last bug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. scrub before Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 1 will be on Monday, September 25, 2023 at 17:00 UTC.
More on 6.4 highlighted under Open Floor.
Beta 1 is scheduled for next Tuesday, September 26.
Stay in the loop The Loop is PHP code used by WordPress to display posts. Using The Loop, WordPress processes each post to be displayed on the current page, and formats it according to how it matches specified criteria within The Loop tags. Any HTML or PHP code in the Loop will be processed on each post. https://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop. with 6.4 by following:
Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/
Reminder: the revised release schedule for the next Gutenberg release is as follows:
- Gutenberg 16.7 RC1: released September 20 (originally planned for September 13)
- Gutenberg 16.7: September 27
Components & Tickets
Testing request following a recent bug scrub from @joedolson:
- Trac An open source project by Edgewall Software that serves as a bug tracker and project management tool for WordPress. ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. #58912: Mobile: Admin (and super admin) menu unexpectedly closes with Safari – after the patch A special text file that describes changes to code, by identifying the files and lines which are added, removed, and altered. It may also be referred to as a diff. A patch can be applied to a codebase for testing. is updated, this will be ready for testing
- Trac ticket #58756: Media library improvements: UI User interface, Non-closing options, and Button select state issues in image editing – this is ready for testing
- Trac ticket #40822: no longer requires further feedback and is ready for commit
From the tickets posted by @oglekler before dev chat, assistance is needed with the list of tickets left to tackle before Beta 1 (updated September 22, 2023):
- Trac #55459: Change Login Label name
- Trac #56886: Admin facing add site screen missing search engine visibility field
- Trac #58703: wp-list-table: <label> is preceding <input> in the checkbox column – this ticket has a new patch, and further testing is requested
- Trac #40762: Login: add canonical admin shorthand URL A specific web address of a website or web page on the Internet, such as a website’s URL www.wordpress.org for login.php
- Call for WordPress developer proposals: Update from @adamsilverstein regarding Interop 2024 was added to the Highlighted Posts list by @webcommsat.
Seeking proposals for Interop 2024. WordPress developers are asked to contribute their proposals for 2024 as on GitHub or as a comment on the proposals post. Interop aims to improve interoperability across the three major web browser engines (Chromium, WebKit and Gecko) in important areas as identified by web developers.
- Call for assistance with 6.3.2: @joemcgill highlighted @mikeschroder‘s message about next steps for getting another bugfix out for 6.3, and if there were any contributors available to help lead the release.
- @ironprogrammer raised that there may be many busy with beta 1 next week, and more hands may be raised after this
- @jeffpaul thought the concern before WCUS was that something(s) milestoned for 6.3.2 might be worth getting out before 6.4 lands. He asked if people had interest and availability, could they share this in the #6-3-release-leads Slack channel as it would be very helpful.
- ** A number of contributors highlighted the final stretch to 6.4 Beta 1, and the calls to help deal with as many bugs as possible, clear triage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors. queues, and review available content.
@cbringmann reminded the meeting that contributions are for all and not restricted to just the release squad and cohort. She thanked everyone who is lending a hand to the 6.4 release.
The next meeting will be on Wednesday September 27, 2023, at 20:00 UTC.
Are you interested in helping draft Dev Chat summaries? Volunteer at the start of the next meeting on the
#core Slack channel.
Props to @ironprogrammer for hosting the meeting,
@webcommsat and @zunaid321 for the notes,
and to @marybaum and @oglekler for reviews and updates on tickets.