These are the notes from the first post-WCUS chat we had on Thursday, September 13th, 2023 at 12:00 PM CDT in the #core-fields channel of Make WordPress Slack.
Proposed agenda items
A few agenda items were proposed in the channel by @alexstandiford including the following items. (Marked to show what we ended up getting through so far)
- ☑ Broadly speaking, what is the scope for V1?
- ☐ Can we define the independent pieces of this project? If not, what do we need to know in order to understand those pieces?
- ☐ Is it realistic to expect that we could split this project into smaller pieces, lead by groups of the contributors?
- ☐ How do we approach presenting this to core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress.? How often to we provide updates?
What we talked about in the chat
We ended up spending over an hour discussing only that first item: What we as contributors think that V1 should and should not include. Feedback was varied so I gathered the list of things people came up with and turned that into a survey that contributors could vote on.
Survey: What to include in a V1 proposal
We also invite everyone in the community to provide feedback on what you think the V1 proposal for Fields API should include.
Fill out the survey to let us know what you’d like to see in a V1 of the Fields API
The survey will close on Wednesday, September 20th, 2023 at 12:00 PM (UTC-5) and we will share the results in the planned Fields API chat that day.
Remaining areas to research
We still have a few more screens to add research documentation for and those are these:
- Media – Media modal
- Customizer Tool built into WordPress core that hooks into most modern themes. You can use it to preview and modify many of your site’s appearance settings. API – @sc0ttkclark will take this on
- Nav Menus (classic)
- Name Menu form
- Nav Menu Item form
If you’d like to help out, hop into #core-fields and or GitHub repository and let us know what area you’d like to contribute to.
Next scheduled chat
We will be meeting again in #core-fields on Wednesday, September 20th, 2023 at 12:00 PM (UTC-5)
See many of you then!