This post summarizes the latest weekly Default Theme meeting (agenda, slack transcript), held in the #core-themes Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel, on Wednesday, August 30th 2023 at 3pm UTC.
- This meeting is aimed at the work around the next default theme Twenty Twenty-Four, which will be released with WordPress 6.4 in November. Please keep the topic on the theme!
- We set the meeting time to Wednesday, 3pm UTC. In the agenda, the meeting time will be noted with the automatic timezone conversion. The meetings happen weekly and may be switched to bi-weekly if we’re closer to the release.
- The next default theme has been introduced last week: Introduction to Twenty Twenty-Four
- How you can contribute:
- The work on TT4 will happen in this Github GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ repository: https://github.com/WordPress/twentytwentyfour
- Please read through the readme file carefully, as it contains important information on how to get started.
- If you want to contribute, check out the open issues and Pull Requests first, to see if your topic has been addressed already. If not, feel free to open an issue!
- It would be fantastic if you can link a created PR to an issue, so it’s easier to keep track of things.
@maneshtimilsina mentioned contributers get confused about using
esc_html_x_ functions in patterns for translations.
- Resource to translation documentation: https://developer.wordpress.org/apis/internationalization/internationalization-functions/
- Resource to
esc_html__ documentation: https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/esc_html__/
- Resource to
esc_html_x documentation: https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/esc_html_x/
- Discussion summary:
- Patterns should be checked if they use the correct functions
- Any sample text should be commented that this is sample text, using the
- Any strings that may need further explanation to be correctly translated also need comments
- Check on previous default themes for similar strings to see how it was handled there
@maneshtimilsina mentioned that there’s confusion about the
home.php file, which contains multiple patterns
- The patterns should be extracted into smaller components, which then possibly make
home.php not needed anymore.
@kafleg mentioned the backlog of open PRs regarding patterns in the repository.
- These will be taken care of this week.
@poena asked about the status of pattern categories and pattern switching for 6.4, and if this will work with non synced patterns
- It seems this has not yet been discussed, an issue needs to be created to start a discussion around this topic
#6-4 #bundled-theme #core-themes #summary #twenty-twenty-four