This post summarizes the latest weekly Editor meeting (agenda, slack transcript), held in the #core-editor Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel, on Wednesday, May 17, 2023, 14:00 UTC.
Async key project updates
Read the latest updates directly from the following tracking issues:
Update On Navigation
- The intended scope of work for the Nav block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. in WP 6.3 has been refined and confirmed (see this Issue).
- Contributors have shipped improvements to the fallback mechanics for the block. This is now normalised in a dedicated
class on the PHP The web scripting language in which WordPress is primarily architected. WordPress requires PHP 5.6.20 or higher side and accessible from the front end via the REST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/.. These changes improve the UX User experience of the block by always ensuring a Navigation Menu A theme feature introduced with Version 3.0. WordPress includes an easy to use mechanism for giving various control options to get users to click from one place to another on a site. is pre-created meaning there is no “transition” state in the block when it moves from uncontrolled to controlled.
- Contributors have been improving performance by preloading the key Navigation-related network calls in the Site Editor.
- Contributors have been engaging in ongoing discussions to refine the scope and purpose of Navigation in the Browse Mode sidebar.
- Work is underway to improve the Link creation interface to improve its utility for the Navigation block (and the editor in general).
Highlighted remove shortcode A shortcode is a placeholder used within a WordPress post, page, or widget to insert a form or function generated by a plugin in a specific location on your site. support from block templates change in core
Highlighted issue https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/50532 to check if it is right to be in GitHub repo or in trac
Note: Anyone reading this summary outside of the meeting, please drop a comment in the post summary, if you can/want to help with something.
Read complete transcript
#core-editor, #core-editor-summary, #gutenberg, #meeting notes, #summary