Welcome back to a new issue of Week in Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress.. Let’s take a look at what changed on Trac An open source project by Edgewall Software that serves as a bug tracker and project management tool for WordPress. between April 17 and April 24, 2023.
- 27 commits
- 36 contributors
- 51 tickets created
- 6 tickets reopened
- 53 tickets closed
Ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. numbers are based on the Trac timeline for the period above. The following is a summary of commits, organized by component and/or focus.
- Correct the expected quotes in
get_comment_author_url_link() tests – #57839
- Twenty Nineteen: Fix a translation The process (or result) of changing text, words, and display formatting to support another language. Also see localization, internationalization. issue in Comments navigation text – #58149
- Escape edit profile URL A specific web address of a website or web page on the Internet, such as a website’s URL www.wordpress.org in
default_password_nag() – #58182
- Remove unused
$key variable in
wp-admin/network/sites.php – #57839
- Update code layout in
default_password_nag() for readability – #57839
- Use more meaningful variable names in various comment functions – #57839
- Use strict comparison in
wp-admin/includes/class-wp-ms-sites-list-table.php – #58139
- Use strict comparison in
wp-admin/includes/class-wp-site-icon.php – #57839
- Use strict comparison where
strtolower() is involved – #57839
- Use strict comparison where
trim() is involved – #57839
- Use third-person singular verbs for
WP_Importer related function descriptions, as per docblocks standards – #57840
- Use third-person singular verbs in various function descriptions, as per docblocks standards – #57840
- Add selectors field to block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. type definition – #57585
HTML HyperText Markup Language. The semantic scripting language primarily used for outputting content in web browsers. API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways.
- Add support for a few invalid A resolution on the bug tracker (and generally common in software development, sometimes also notabug) that indicates the ticket is not a bug, is a support request, or is generally invalid. HTML comment forms – #58007
- Ensure attribute updates happen only once for case variants – #58146
- Fix a case where updates are overlooked when seeking to earlier locations – #58160
- Update code style so it passes when backported into Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ – #58170
I18N Internationalization, or the act of writing and preparing code to be fully translatable into other languages. Also see localization. Often written with a lowercase i so it is not confused with a lowercase L or the numeral 1. Often an acquired skill.
- Use correct translation function in
wp-admin/includes/media.php – #58138
Networks and Sites
- Simplify the check for main site on Network (versus site, blog) Admin (and super admin) → Sites screen – #58150
is_main_site() in a few more places – #58150
- Improve code style and readability in
_wp_normalize_relative_css_links() – #58069
- Optimize performance of
_wp_normalize_relative_css_links() by more than 2x – #58069, #54243
- Update GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ security policy to refer to H1 – #57937
- Bump the recommended MariaDB version to 10.4 – #58158
Taxonomy A taxonomy is a way to group things together. In WordPress, some common taxonomies are category, link, tag, or post format. https://codex.wordpress.org/Taxonomies#Default_Taxonomies.
- Always lazily load term meta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. – #57645
- Cache database queries within
WP_User_Query class – #40613
- Change cache group from
user-queries – #40613
Thanks to the 36 people who contributed to WordPress Core on Trac last week: @sergeybiryukov (6), @mukesh27 (4), @dmsnell (4), @spacedmonkey (4), @peterwilsoncc (3), @audrasjb (3), @afercia (3), @poena (3), @aristath (3), @mujuonly (2), @costdev (2), @hellofromTonya (2), @krupalpanchal (2), @pouicpouic (2), @jbcouton (1), @jankyz (1), @flixos90 (1), @rjasdfiii (1), @khoipro (1), @OllieJones (1), @srikanthmeenakshi (1), @strategio (1), @dd32 (1), @westi (1), @zieladam (1), @johnjamesjacoby (1), @JavierCasares (1), @ecorica (1), @westonruter (1), @vladytimy (1), @desrosj (1), @aaronrobertshaw (1), @ntsekouras (1), @utsav72640 (1), @laurentmagnin (1), and @sabernhardt (1).
Congrats and welcome to our 4 new contributors of the week: @pouicpouic, @jbcouton, @ecorica, @laurentmagnin ♥️
Core committers: @sergeybiryukov (11), @audrasjb (5), @spacedmonkey (3), @zieladam (2), @bernhard-reiter (2), @gziolo (1), @peterwilsoncc (1), @azaozz (1), and @westonruter (1).