(Update February 9, 2023 – new information in post dev chat section below, @webcommsat )
The WordPress Developers Chat meeting took place on February 8, 2023 at 20:00 UTC in the corechannel of the Make WordPress Slack.
Start of the Dev Chat on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..
Last week’s meeting, February 1, 2023, summary.
WordPress 6.2 Beta 1 is out and available for testing – released February 7, 2023
Gutenberg 15.1.0 was shipped. Detailed post to follow. Slack update on the release.
A Week in Core. In this week, 22 new contributors were recorded!
Proposal for automated performance monitoring in WordPress Core
Developer Hours returns, as an opportunity for developers to connect with other WordPress developers, covering a myriad of topics related to the project. Even if you don’t have any questions yourself, Developer Hours are great ways to learn!
Roadmap to 6.2: read how Phase 2 of the Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ roadmap moves into its final stages with the release of 6.2.
Help Test WordPress 6.2
a) Next major release A release, identified by the first two numbers (3.6), which is the focus of a full release cycle and feature development. WordPress uses decimaling count for major release versions, so 2.8, 2.9, 3.0, and 3.1 are sequential and comparable in scope.: 6.2
6.2 development cycle
6.2 bug scrub schedule
Check the #6-2-release-leads channel for latest updates.
Roadmap to 6.2
Help Test WordPress 6.2
Updates from the release squad.
- Release coordinators @francina will not be available between February 9 and February 21, and @priethor has limited availability during WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Asia. Francesca will be available to run the Dev Chat meeting and release parties after February 21. Below are dates needing cover for facilitators of the live meetings: [These were filled on February 9 Slack thread]
- Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 2, February 14, 2023, 17:00 UTC @jeffpaul with assistance from @audrasjb
- Dev Chat, February 15, 2023, 20:00 UTC @webcommsat
- Beta 3, February 21, 2023, 17:00 UTC @audrasjb
- @afragen: You can also now return to testing with the Rollback Update Failure plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party. It does require 6.2-beta1 or higher.
Requests for help/ any blockers relating to components or tickets
Priority was given to items relating to 6.2.
- @flixos90: currently further investigating #57648 potentially regarding performance in 6.2. More details on this discussion.
- @sergeybiryukov: thanks to everyone involved in these tickets.
move_dir() function was introduced, and is now used for plugin and theme updates to significantly speed up the update process. View tickets #57375 and #57557 for more details.
- I18N Internationalization, or the act of writing and preparing code to be fully translatable into other languages. Also see localization. Often written with a lowercase i so it is not confused with a lowercase L or the numeral 1. Often an acquired skill.: Screen reader strings are marked as such with translator comments. This aims to provide better context for translators and make it easier to determine that some strings contain hidden accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) text and are not displayed in the UI User interface. View ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. #29748 for more details.
WP_Locale::$word_count_type property was introduced to simplify translations across multiple projects. View ticket #56698 for more details.
- @pbiron: relating to Upgrade/Install:
move_dir() function, asked for people to test plugin/theme (and translation The process (or result) of changing text, words, and display formatting to support another language. Also see localization, internationalization.) updates with 6.2-beta1 and report any problems you encounter.
- @webcommsat: Quick/Bulk Edit – we have moved some tickets forward in this week’s review/scrub. One ticket, #35833, which has been milestoned to 6.3, could do with some more testing.
- “Old Tickets Triage Sessions” – this post has details of future sessions. You can also volunteer to run a session?
If you have favorite old tickets, add a comment to the post or contact @audrasjb.
If any other maintainers have something that needs added attention (especially for 6.2), please raise it in the core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. channel and on this summary post.
- How do / did you learn about using the WordPress software?
The deadline for the Learn WordPress learner survey has been extended. Share how you previously learnt and continue to learn about WordPress features, and your learning styles to help improve this free resource for others.
- WordPress Community Summit
Reminder to share ideas for core-related items for the WordPress Community Summit. Mention abhanonstopnewsuk in Slack for ideas to be added to the collated list. If you attended the Summit previously and have any suggestions for core, they would be very welcome. More information from the community team is being sought for a P2 A free theme for WordPress, known for front-end posting, used by WordPress for development updates and project management. See our main development blog and other workgroup blogs. post where comments will be able to be added directly to the post.
Applications are now open to attend the Summit in-person.
- Update on Core tables at WordCamp Asia Contributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. from @desrosj and @webcommsat.
– Several areas now have facilitators to help in-person attendees. Slack link. So far core-related tables will be: General Core, Core Performance, Core Editor, About/Help and Quick/Bulk Edit components.
– If any other maintainers or areas of core can assist further, contact @desrosj on Slack.
– WordCamp Asia is also encouraging new and existing contributors to join in virtually on the day and go to the Slack channel of the team they want to join. There will be no pre-booking required. It is unknown how many virtual attendees will be expected. Volunteers are needed to help with queries in Slack from virtual attendees. Contact abhanonstopnews on Slack if you can help virtually on the day for and indicate which hours.
– Any new contributors for core arriving in the contributor-day channel can be signposted to the New Contributors meetings and the handbook information to help them.
– A blog (versus network, site) post is coming next week on the Core offering for WordCamp Asia.
Post dev chat
@helen: is planning to commit a tooling item, and wanted any input from people first. Comment 5 on enhancement Enhancements are simple improvements to WordPress, such as the addition of a hook, a new feature, or an improvement to an existing feature. ticket #57187.
Props to: @ironprogrammer for facilitating the Dev chat, @webcommsat for preparing the agenda items and writing the summary, and to @afragen for reviewing.