This post summarizes the weekly editor chat meeting (agenda here) held on Wednesday, January 26 2021, 03:00 PM GMT+1 in Slack. Moderated by @paaljoachim.
Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party releases
What’s new in Gutenberg 12.4 (19 January).
Gutenberg 12.5.0 RC1 released.
WordPress 5.9 was released 25th of January!
Key project updates
Based on the scope for Site Editing projects.
Site Editor and Patterns
Have no official updates at this time.
Navigation block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.
Tracking Issue status update
We’re very keen to hear feedback on the block and also what folks would like to see added in the future. Drop in to (Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel) #feature-navigation-block-editor to let us know.
- One of the focus is documenting and making sure new contributors can be on-boarded and contribute to its engine.
- There was also lots of progress on the style variations project.
- Finalizing GSS Font size and line height.
- Prepare to pick up other projects.
- Collaborated with @joen on some last-minute Pattern preview fixes. It’s not perfect, but it’s definitely an improvement. We will improve UX User experience here in a minor release A set of releases or versions having the same minor version number may be collectively referred to as .x , for example version 5.2.x to refer to versions 5.2, 5.2.1, 5.2.3, and all other versions in the 5.2 (five dot two) branch of that software. Minor Releases often make improvements to existing features and functionality..
- There’s another PR for Pattern previews fixes and is looking for testers.
- I’m also looking for feedback for Plugin error boundaries in editors.
Announcements, questions and discussions.
Announcement: Developer Hours.
We have the first event scheduled on WordPress Social Learning space on Feb 8 at 11am / 16:00 UTC with an awesome panel with @fabiankaegy @karmatosed and @Nick Diego .
What about unregisterBlockType ? Currently there is documentation but it’s not working for widgets screen and FSE editor. Check out the discussion on Slack.
block_editor_settings_all filter, but that feels wrong… Is there a recommended way forward? Check out some of the feedback on Slack.
Improving our PR merge > release process to ensure we’re capturing all the people who should be credited from a merge (e.g., helpful bug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. reporters, helpful issue commenters, helpful PR testers). Right now that does not appear to happen with regularity. Check out feedback on Slack.
I would like to bring up is that we as in core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. editor facilitators have been looking at ways in how we can improve the core editor chats. Do please check out the post proposed improvements to the core chat agenda and format.