This post summarizes the weekly editor chat meeting (agenda here) held on Wednesday, December 1 2021, 03:00 PM GMT+1 in Slack. Moderated by @jorgefilipecosta.
Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party releases
What’s new in Gutenberg 12.0.0.
Gutenberg 12.1 RC1 released.
Parts of 12.0 and 12.1 were backported into core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. and will be part of WP 5.9.
Beta 1 was released 30 November.
Help is needed: tracking issue for development notes for WP 5.9. Contact @mkaz if you have any questions about writing a development note.
Check out the various issues on the WordPress 5.9 Must-Haves project board.
Key project updates
Based on the scope for Site Editing projects.
Navigation block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.
- All of the “Must Have” items for Nav block were merged in time for WP 5.9 Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 1.
- We now switch focus to resolving the
[Type] Bug issues.
- Please do pop into
#feature-navigation-block-editor on Core Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. if you have a question or wish to contribute.
- Feel free to raise an Issue to report a bug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority.. Be sure to label it with the
Block: Navigation label.
- Navigation Block Tracking issue.
- It is now possible to edit all the default, theme and user color palettes.
- Edit gradient palette.
- Transparency color support on all global style elements.
- Multiple UI User interface enhancements. E.g. color picker positioning mechanism, border, margins etc.
- Bug fixed: when applying some presets by value instead of slug (class or var).
- Added opt-in mechanism so themes can provide palettes and completely disable the default palettes.
- Themes now has a flag that allows future design tools to be enabled by default. This will allow an user of the specific theme to take advantage of future enhancements without needing to update the theme.
Automatically load patterns located in the theme’s
/patterns subdirectory. It would simplify the registration of the pattern as one would not need to call any function to register a pattern.
Turned on auto-migration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies. of v1 Gallery blocks to v2 format when edited
An issue where the font size value did not update
An issue with the preformatted block background color
RN iOS The operating system used on iPhones and iPads. E2E tests failure related to environment not available
An iOS scroll update issue when typing in RichText component
Undo/redo functionality in links when applying text format
- In Progress:
Upgrade to React Native v0.66.
Finalizing GSS Font size, line height and selected text colors.
We merged a new
ConfirmDialog component intended to serve as a replacement for the editor’s current uses of the native
confirm function, providing a more cohesive UI and addressing some browser compatibility concerns.
DateTimePicker component now correctly handles values for hours when “PM” is selected in the component’s
- In Progress:
We’re working on improved and more consistent support for larger variations of several input components used in the typography panel. These variations are mostly implemented with custom style overrides currently, and we’d like to provide a more declarative and consistent API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. for them.
There were no other tasks shared during the Task Coordination.
Fabio is trying to follow and learn about Gutenberg development.
For code contributions.
Block Editor Handbook: Getting Started With Code Contribution
After setup is ready feel free to fix some Gutenberg issues. Ask in the #core-editor channel on Slack if you need any help.
#core-editor-summary, #gutenberg, #meeting-notes, #summary