@hellofromTonya led the weekly meeting at 20:00 UTC. Here is the meeting agenda.
Link to this
<devchat> in #core on Making WordPress Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..
Notable News and blog (versus network, site) posts
- @marybaum will be a new Core Team Rep for 2022.
- Thanks to @francina for serving in this role!
- @audrasjb will continue in this role until another team rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. is found.
Interested in being a Core Team Rep? Reach out to @audrasjb.
- @jeffpaul asked if there are any 5.9 blockers that are in specific need of help and asked what type of help they need (engineering, design, testing, etc).
- @hellofromTonya posted an update on 5.9 blockers and scheduling. Design help is needed for Global styles & Design tools.
- There is an open Call for Testing for Safari.
- Everyone is invited to help wherever possible.
- The release squad is keeping a daily close eye on progress, needs, and any blockers that might surface. Discussions and updates are centralized in the #5-9-release-leads channel on Slack.
Component Team Updates
@sergeybiryukov gave an update:
- Dependabot scanning is now configured for GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ Actions. This eliminates the need to manually check all GitHub Actions used within workflow files for updates. See ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. #54503 for more details.
- NodeJS is pinned to the 14.x version in the
.nvmrc file to ensure contributors are able to contribute without issue until compatibility with version 16.x can be confirmed in both trunk A directory in Subversion containing the latest development code in preparation for the next major release cycle. If you are running "trunk", then you are on the latest revision. and the Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ repository on GitHub. See ticket #54502 for more details.
- Some PHP The web scripting language in which WordPress is primarily architected. WordPress requires PHP 5.6.20 or higher warnings from
stdClass::__invoke() callback mocks were fixed in REST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/. tests. See ticket #53844 for more details.
- The timeout for GitHub Actions jobs was lowered so runaway or stalled processes don’t risk running for the default timeout duration of six hours. See ticket #53363 for more details.
Date/Time, General, I18N Internationalization, or the act of writing and preparing code to be fully translatable into other languages. Also see localization. Often written with a lowercase i so it is not confused with a lowercase L or the numeral 1. Often an acquired skill., Permalinks
@sergeybiryukov shared: No major news this week
- @afragen asked for feedback on the Plugin Dependencies project for WordPress 6.0. Reach out to @peterwilsoncc if you wish to have editing access.
- @jeffpaul asked how we are progressing on the Pre Beta 1 tasks and asked if there are any items that need help.
- @hellofromTonya replied that there are some Dev notes Each important change in WordPress Core is documented in a developers note, (usually called dev note). Good dev notes generally include:
a description of the change;
the decision that led to this change
a description of how developers are supposed to work with that change.
Dev notes are published on Make/Core blog during the beta phase of WordPress release cycle. Publishing dev notes is particularly important when plugin/theme authors and WordPress developers need to be aware of those changes.In general, all dev notes are compiled into a Field Guide at the beginning of the release candidate phase. that need to be compiled and published.
- @audrasjb has been marking tickets that need Dev notes.
- @mkaz noted that documentation for WordPress 5.9 could use some help and posted a link to the requirements. Contributors are invited to reach out to @mkaz with any questions.
- @jeffpaul is working on the WordPress 5.9 HelpHub page.
- @abhanonstopnewsuk noted that the latest checks for the About and Help page were carried out on Monday November 22, 2021. The next check is on Monday November 29, 2021 at 20:30 UTC.
- @audrasjb will be leading a bug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. scrub on November 25, 2021 at 21:00 UTC. See the 5.9 Bug Scrub schedule.
- With Thanksgiving taking place in the US on November 25, 2021, @hellofromTonya thanked the community for all contributions.
Props to @costdev for writing the devchat summary.