@marybaum and @webcommsat led the weekly meeting at 20:00 UTC. Here is the meeting agenda.
Link to this <dev-chat> in #core on Making WordPress Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..
Please note that depending on your timezone, the time may have changed with the end of daylight saving time.
Blog (versus network, site) Post Highlights and announcements
Bringing to your attention some interesting reads and some call for feedback and/or volunteers:
Components check-in and status updates
- The results of
PHP_CodeSniffer across workflow runs are now cached. This allows for rescanning only changed files, making subsequent scans significantly faster. See ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. #49783 for more details,
- Plugins and non-bundled themes are now excluded from PHP The web scripting language in which WordPress is primarily architected. WordPress requires PHP 5.6.20 or higher compatibility scans. This allows the scans to run only on files included in the final WordPress package. See ticket #54425 for more details.
- Some remote HTTP HTTP is an acronym for Hyper Text Transfer Protocol. HTTP is the underlying protocol used by the World Wide Web and this protocol defines how messages are formatted and transmitted, and what actions Web servers and browsers should take in response to various commands. requests in REST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/. tests are now mocked to address timeout failures. I think this could use some more discussion though to verify the intent of the tests, and whether they were created specifically to test the WP.org API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. response. See ticket #54420 for more details.
- The default GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ branch A directory in Subversion. WordPress uses branches to store the latest development code for each major release (3.9, 4.0, etc.). Branches are then updated with code for any minor releases of that branch. Sometimes, a major version of WordPress and its minor versions are collectively referred to as a "branch", such as "the 4.0 branch". was changed from
trunk. See ticket #54399 and the post on make/core for more details.
Date/Time, General, I18N Internationalization, or the act of writing and preparing code to be fully translatable into other languages. Also see localization. Often written with a lowercase i so it is not confused with a lowercase L or the numeral 1. Often an acquired skill., Permalinks
- @marybaum and @webcommsat have been running bug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. scrubs weekly, and will continue to have checks-in every Monday for the next few weeks, but at a new time of 20:30 UTC.
- This week they spent time exploring the About Page and centralizing images which can be used for multi-purposes.
- The anchor link bug fix (#46371) is committed toward the 5.9 release (thanks!), and the new “Edit site” link still needs to be adjusted for narrower screens (#54441).
- An issue in trunk A directory in Subversion containing the latest development code in preparation for the next major release cycle. If you are running "trunk", then you are on the latest revision. for 5.9 could do with some input on the best route forward to solving https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54351 . The issue touches on the WP Filesystem handlers as well, and how they may need more sanity checks.
Quick Bulk Edit component
@marybaum, @Nalini and @webcommsat are starting to review tickets for future releases.
There are some components without maintainers if you find one that would be interested to help move forward.
- PHP 8.1 is scheduled for release next week, on November 25, and I would like to discuss the state of PHP 8.1 support in core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress..
- After commiting #51968, there are still more than 60 errors when running the PHPUnit test suite on PHP 8.1
- Shall we continue adding ad-hoc fixes or shall we pause PHP 8.1 fixes and start a more structural discussion about input validation?
- The “errors” in the test suite are PHP 8.1 deprecation notices that will not affect users. WordPress is not PHP 8.1 compatible. It’s also not 8.0 compatible. There are larger architectural discussions needed to figure out how to become compatible as stated by @hellofromtonya.
FSE Outreach Program call for testing
There are two weeks left for testing these two versions
Bug scrubs continue; check out the timetable.
#5-9, #core, #dev-chat, #summary