This post summarizes the weekly editor chat meeting (agenda here) held on Wednesday, October 27 2021, 04:00 PM GMT+1. in Slack. Moderated by @andraganescu.
Future agendas we should drop the “What’s Next in ..” reminder link as the Go/No Go post supersedes the “What’s Next”.
@juanmaguitar asked who are the Proposed WordPress 5.9 Leads and got directed to the early squad list here that should be published soon.
@noisysocks mentioned Gutenberg 11.9 is the last plugin release which will make its way into WP 5.9. It will be “cut” on November 3 which is very soon.
Key project updates
Based on the scope for Site Editing projects.
@jorgefilipecosta provided an update:
- A PR proposing the new color palette editor and a PR that makes multiple color palettes from different sources available to users were proposed PR 35783, PR 35783.
- The new global styles REST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/. endpoints are also in progress PR 35801, PR 35985, and at least the endpoint for user styles should be merged in the next hours.
- The new design is based on progressive disclosure UI User interface where all the options are not visible right away that is based on using the new tools panel on the multiple block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. supports that exist, and that work is also in progress for colors and borders PR 33743, PR 34027.
- @ntsekouras explained that while the patterns tracking issue suggested to implement a way for allowing themes to surface specific patterns from the pattern directory, in reality development is tightly coupled with the pattern directory and the current ‘closed’ submission system, so more exploration needs to happen.
Navigation Block & Navigation Editor
@getdave provided an update:
@hypest provided an update:
- Rolled out in-editor Help screen and new-block Inserter Badge to all users.
- Pin Node to v14 on CI to match Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ web’s CI.
- Autosave issue in the Unsupported Block Editor.
- iOS The operating system used on iPhones and iPads. Safe Areas issue in the in-editor Help screen.
- Fixed a loading glitch in the embed blocks.
- Adding more tests for the Embed block.
- GSS Font size, line height, colors.
- Fixed bug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. that was causing post editor to crash when switching between preview types.
- URL Details endpoint now will check
og:description when searching for site description.
- Fixed (waiting for review) the bug for Classic block. It was copying content to other blocks during the “Select all” action.
- Reviewed and helped the work to fix the background text higlings migration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies. that was affecting websites in production using the gutenberg plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/35516.
- Implemented the new color palette editor.
- Updated color and gradient components to show colors from all the origins.
- Submitted some smaller fixes and enhancements.
- Reviewed the global styles endpoint.
- Multiple smaller PR reviews.
- Tomorrow Live Q & A on Converting classic Widget to blocks w/ Buddy Press team @imath @vapvarun and @dcavins – Join us and/or share in your network (versus site, blog). It will be streamed to YouTube as well. (by the time meeting notes come out we might have a recording on YouTube. )
- Prep and recording of Gutenberg Changelog episode 54 – Gutenberg 11.8 and more. w/ @gziolo
- Developer Hours to start mid November. Coordination work ongoing.
- Preliminary prep for WordPress 5.9 documentation
- accepted test co-lead for 5.9 along with helping with user docs
- working on the next round of FSE answers,
- working on figuring out next call for testing,
- doing some light triage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors. + testing!
- I’m looking for some guidance on Global Styles: Form elements. I’m looking to dive in today and get a PR going, but want to make sure I have scope and scale in mind for adding any features.
@cbravobernal asked about issues because of getting block attributes with style and class together in a string and pointed to the trac issue.
@overclokk raised an issue detailing a proposal to remove block-templates and block-templates-parts directories for FSE – Full site editing