Update on 5.9, the schedule and more on the 5.9 Development cycle page.
WordPress 5.9 is full steam ahead towards the December 14, 2021 release date. With the Go/No Go deadline behind us, the necessary roles required for this version’s release squad have become more clear, and the team is starting to take shape.
Below is the list of roles the squad roles for the 5.9 release with confirmed contributors listed. Any role listed with a hand raised emoji (✋) still need contributors and volunteers.
- Release Lead The community member ultimately responsible for the Release.: @matt
- Release Coordinators: ✋
- Triage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors. Leads: @chaion07, @audrasjb.
- Editor Tech: @noisysocks, @mamaduka.
- Editor Design:✋
- Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. Tech: @hellofromtonya. ✋
- Theme Leads: @kjellr, @jffng.
- Technical Writer: @psykro. ✋
- Documentation Leads: @mkaz, @milana_cap.
- Marketing & Communications: @chanthaboune. ✋
- Accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) Lead: ✋
- Test Leads: @boniu91, @annezazu.
- The release squad list on the 5.9 development cycle page has also been updated. As additional contributors are confirmed for the positions needing volunteers, they will only be added to the development cycle page (not accompanied by an additional post here).
- @noisysocks is coordinating a group of feature-specific contributors, and will be the main information person for all editor related features.
- All WordPress 5.9 related coordination will happen inside of the #5-9-release-leads Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. room. This room is a public viewing area for transparency (and knowledge sharing!), but is a workspace for that release squad so please limit posting as much as possible for those not on the release squad.
Props @chanthaboune and @jeffpaul for peer review.