In #core-themes, full transcript starts here. I (@jffng) facilitated the meeting. It was the first one!
Building TT2 for Full Site Editing
We discussed the approach to the theme’s development, which is developing this as a block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. theme and fixing as much in Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ as possible. One of the goals is for the theme to have as little CSS Cascading Style Sheets. and PHP The web scripting language in which WordPress is primarily architected. WordPress requires PHP 5.6.20 or higher as possible.
Our current development focuses are two-fold:
- Identifying the gaps / blockers in Gutenberg. There is an overview issue tracking what’s needed on the Gutenberg side: https://github.com/WordPress/twentytwentytwo/issues/75 We could use help testing various blocks and filing issues whenever they’re not looking or working as expected.
- Block patterns coming soon, @kjellr is leading that effort. We could use help with PR reviews and testing as those become available, follow along using this tag A directory in Subversion. WordPress uses tags to store a single snapshot of a version (3.6, 3.6.1, etc.), the common convention of tags in version control systems. (Not to be confused with post tags.).
We plan to do meetings once a week at this time (Mondays, 15 UTC), aiming to keep them around 30 minutes as to be respectful of folks time and focus on async for inclusivity.
Open Floor Q&A
- How do we decide what needs to be worked on?
- Ideally everything that’s being worked on has an issue — so if you find something that needs fixing, please open an issue for it, and then work on a PR.
- Keep an eye on the github milestones
- Is there a mechanism for collaborating on an issue?
- Comment on the issue, so it’s clear you’re working on it and if folks want to collaborate, they can communicate in the issue and slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. if needed
- Is the way fonts are enqueued going to change?
- Are you looking for triage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors. help?
- You can ping The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” @kjellr or me (@jffng) if you would like to help this way.
- Will TT2 align with the accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) level AA like TT1 did? How do we make sure this gets addressed?
- Short answer is yes, let’s use this issue to track
- A lot of this lands on Gutenberg, and for what we can do on the theme side, we hope to make this as accessible as possible. For example, the color palettes have been designed to pass WCAG WCAG is an acronym for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. These guidelines are helping make sure the internet is accessible to all people no matter how they would need to access the internet (screen-reader, keyboard only, etc) https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/. AAA contrast.
- Button states will be important too.