Date: October 13, 2021, 10:00 UTC
Format: Zoom (recorded). A link will be shared in the #feature-navigation-block-editor slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel shortly before the meeting is due to commence.
Goal: Discuss Navigation Editor and Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. goals for 5.9 and beyond.
Details: There are some recent proposed changes to the Navigation Editor and Block that would change some aspects of the project. See the post in slack for more information (https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C01KDAZJMQ9/p1633512526250600). This hallway hangout will be assembled to discuss how the project should proceed.
Intended Audience: past and future contributors to the Navigation Editor and Block. Contributors to other related parts of WordPress.
Note Taker: any volunteers to be the official note keeper?
- Facilitator and attendee introductions
- Brief recap of Navigation Editor and Block projects to date
- Recap of Navigation Editor goals to date
- Discuss the proposals for making the Navigation Block ‘reusable’. What are the block’s requirements for Full Site Editing?
- How should the Navigation Block work with Classic Menu data for block-based themes (in a Full Site Editing context)?
- How can the Navigation Editor can be made to work with this future Navigation Block?
- Discuss the case of classic menu editing in the Navigation Editor for classic themes that do not support block-based menus.
- Discuss backwards compatibility requirements and potential solutions.
- Discuss the case of classic themes that could opt-in to showing block-based menus in their theme locations.
- Have the goals for the Navigation Editor changed?
- Discuss the proposed roadmap.
- Briefly discuss next steps
- Reworking the tracking issues / project board
- Making WordPress post summarising results
#block-editor, #feature-navigation-block-editor, #gutenberg, #menus