This post summarizes the weekly editor chat meeting (agenda here) held on Wednesday, July 14, 2021, 02:00PM UTC on Slack. Moderated by @annezazu.
Big celebration for all the hard work there with 107 issues in the Done column. There are a few new items listed but, with an RC4 coming tomorrow, anything that cannot be completed today will likely need to wait for 5.8.1. Both @desrosj and @youknowriad noted this for the group. Don’t let this stop you from testing and finding bugs but do let this set expectations!
Monthly Priorities & Key Project Updates
Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. based Widget A WordPress Widget is a small block that performs a specific function. You can add these widgets in sidebars also known as widget-ready areas on your web page. WordPress widgets were originally created to provide a simple and easy-to-use way of giving design and structure control of the WordPress theme to the user. Editor
Work continues to focus on bug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. fixes and building out this refinement overview issue post release.
Navigation Block & Navigation Editor
Many of the folks working on these projects have been out on vacation to relax, get time away from screens, and get inspiration from the wider world.
Work is mainly focused on 5.8 bug fixes/testing.
The Pattern Directory is still underway with plans to go live when 5.8 does. You can see the latest in this milestone here.
The focus continues to look out for fixing bugs that are backported to the Betas/RC.
- Users can now set the text and background colors on blocks.
- Mobile Gallery Block Refactor (PR) done, waiting on web side now.
- Started work on supporting GSS Font Settings and specific text color settings.
- Breakthrough on the Block Picker Search blocking issue, wrapping up the project soon.
- Embed block about to ship a first iteration of the block.
- Further investigations for the iOS The operating system used on iPhones and iPads. share extension project.
- Added some integration tests.
- Still heavily focused on end user documentation in order to get the major new features covered (Query Loop The Loop is PHP code used by WordPress to display posts. Using The Loop, WordPress processes each post to be displayed on the current page, and formats it according to how it matches specified criteria within The Loop tags. Any HTML or PHP code in the Loop will be processed on each post. https://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop., Widgets editor, Block pattern directory, Preferences, etc).
- Running a hallway hangout today for the #fse-outreach-experiment (all are welcome!) and have been testing 5.8 everyday over the last week+ to find some bugs.
Would it be possible to shadow the Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ Release process? Raised by @vcanales.
Both @vcanales and @gwwar expressed interest in shadowing for the release process for today’s RC. Documentation for managing releases was updated this week with more information including the need to be a part of the Gutenberg development team to help out.
Next step: @vcanales and @gwwar are going to pair up with help as needed from @youknowriad.
Help review the refactored gallery block PR. Raised by @paaljoachim.
Paal raised this PR for the gallery block refactor work as needing reviews with @youknowriad chiming in to say that it’s an important one that might require input from everyone.