Here is the agenda for this week’s developer meetings to occur at the following times: June 30, 2021 at 5:00 UTC and June 30, 2021 at 20:00 UTC.
Blog (versus network, site) Post Highlights
- WordPress 5.8 Beta 4
- Dev Notes Each important change in WordPress Core is documented in a developers note, (usually called dev note). Good dev notes generally include a description of the change, the decision that led to this change, and a description of how developers are supposed to work with that change. Dev notes are published on Make/Core blog during the beta phase of WordPress release cycle. Publishing dev notes is particularly important when plugin/theme authors and WordPress developers need to be aware of those changes.In general, all dev notes are compiled into a Field Guide at the beginning of the release candidate phase.: Introducing theme.json in WordPress 5.8, Block supports API updates for WordPress 5.8, Miscellaneous developer focused changes in WordPress 5.8, Block-based Widgets Editor in WordPress 5.8, REST API Changes in WordPress 5.8, Various Block Editor API removals in WordPress 5.8, Introducing “Update URI” plugin header in WordPress 5.8
- What’s new in Gutenberg 10.9? (23 June)
- A Week in Core – June 28, 2021
- Editor, CSS chat summaries
- Help produce social media materials for 5.8 release
- FSE Program Testing Call #8: Thrive with Theme.json
- Call for Testing: WordPress for iOS 17.7
- Call for Testing: WordPress for Android 17.7
- Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 4 released last week and RC One of the final stages in the version release cycle, this version signals the potential to be a final release to the public. Also see alpha (beta). 1 yesterday and now under hard string freeze
- Focus now shifts fully to RC phase with RC 2 release in 6 days on Tuesday, July 6th
- Also working to publish Dev Notes, Field Guide The field guide is a type of blogpost published on Make/Core during the release candidate phase of the WordPress release cycle. The field guide generally lists all the dev notes published during the beta cycle. This guide is linked in the about page of the corresponding version of WordPress, in the release post and in the HelpHub version page. and email to plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party/theme authors
- Next RC Scrub before RC 2 is Monday, July 5th 20:00 UTC (this needs a scrub host/coordinator)
- RC 2 in 6 days on Tuesday, July 6th
- RC 3 in 13 days on Tuesday, July 13th
- 5.8 release in 20 days on Tuesday, July 20th
Components check-in and status updates
- 5.8 plans and help needed
- Check-in with each component for status updates.
- Poll for components that need assistance.
Do you have something to propose for the agenda, or a specific item relevant to the usual agenda items above?
Please leave a comment, and say whether or not you’ll be in the chat, so the group can either give you the floor or bring up your topic for you accordingly.
This meeting happens in the #core channel. To join the meeting, you’ll need an account on the Making WordPress Slack.