Moved to Thursday 10th June because of WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. EU.
This post summarizes the latest weekly Editor meeting (agenda, slack transcript), held in the #core-editor Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel, on Wednesday, June 10, 2021, 14:00 UTC.
Thank you to all of the contributors who tested the Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. releases and gave feedback. Testing for bugs is a critical part of polishing every release and a great way to contribute to WordPress.
Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ 10.7 final
Gutenberg 10.7 will be the final release to be included in WordPress 5.8
Tracking Board for WordPress 5.8 Must-Haves
Widget A WordPress Widget is a small block that performs a specific function. You can add these widgets in sidebars also known as widget-ready areas on your web page. WordPress widgets were originally created to provide a simple and easy-to-use way of giving design and structure control of the WordPress theme to the user. Editor Call For Testing
Call for testing the new block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.-based Widgets Editor. Please report your findings on Github GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ in the Gutenberg repository
The monthly update containing the high-level items that Gutenberg contributors are focusing on for June are:
- Global Styles.
- Block-based Widget Editor.
- Navigation block.
- Full Site Editing.
For detailed plan check out monthly priorities post.
Updates on the key projects
Global styles and settings
- Ported to WordPress core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. and will be part of the WordPress 5.8.
- Focus now is on polishing and fixing bugs.
- Following settings & styles are still experimental and only work with the plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party:
More details and update
Block-Based Widget Editor
- For widgets, it’s still expected to be opt-out by default via three pathways listed at the end of this post.
- The team is focused on resolving bugs and triaging reports.
- In case of big incompatibility issues arise in beta, the plan is to change the screen to opt-in via the theme before 5.8 RC1.
- It is still a huge help to test as much as you can as this is a big part of wp-admin (and super admin) that’s changing.
- It is not likely to be included in 5.8 and efforts have decreased there as a result.
- For now, folks are still working to resolve the major markup issue and finding a way forward there.
Full Site Editing
- The focus is mainly on refining various blocks.
- Currently, bugs are also being resolved around template editing mode. If you’re able to help out, highly recommend helping with the current FSE Outreach Program call for testing and reviewing the upcoming schedule so you can make time to help in the future.
- As it stands though, keep in mind that “Block-Based Themes do not work in 5.8 directly as-is read the full conversation.
- Query Loop The Loop is PHP code used by WordPress to display posts. Using The Loop, WordPress processes each post to be displayed on the current page, and formats it according to how it matches specified criteria within The Loop tags. Any HTML or PHP code in the Loop will be processed on each post. https://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop. block renamed to Post Template and Query label changed to Query Loop.
- Post blocks are now uneditable when inside the Query Loop block.
- Audio block and floating toolbar fixes.
- Integration tests for reusable blocks.
- In Progress: Editor onboarding, Block picker search, Embeds block.
Note: Anyone reading this summary outside of the meeting, please drop a comment in the post summary, if you can/want to help with something.
- Updated tests in PR that add the ability to choose the number of tags in the Tag Cloud block.
- Added PR for making CSS Cascading Style Sheets. valid for inline images with empty width.
Looking for things to work on that would help with 5.8.
- Fixed the issue when the user got locked in saving state if the meta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. box saving request failed with a 5xx error.
- Trying to help with remaining Widget Editor issues in the Project board.
- Want to hight light this issue:
Reusable block: Add a lock to the parent toolbar to protect the inner content from accidental editing.
It contains similar functionality as to how the edit button worked in Reusable blocks in WP 5.6. An important feature to get back into Reusable blocks. (Btw the fix will likely get backported to WP 5.7.x)
Highlighted https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/31806/ for code review and feedback.
- In the Docs meeting today, we brought up the suggestion for all teams to create a new docs ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. for any user-facing features that need documentation. One of the hardest parts of creating the user docs is just knowing what is new and/or changing.
- For examples of what we try to document for user-facing docs see the Block Editor and Blocks documentation.
Read complete transcript
#meeting-notes, #core-editor, #editor, #gutenberg, #core-editor-summary