With 5.8 well underway, we’re ready to schedule the 5.8 bug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. scrub sessions. These 5.8 specific ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. scrubs will happen each week until the final release.
Focus: features and enhancements.
Focus: issues reported from the previous beta.
Focus: issues reported from the previous RC
Check this schedule often, as it will change to reflect the latest information.
Scrubs will be led by @lukecarbis and @chaion07.
What about recurring component scrubs and triage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors. sessions?
The above 5.8 scheduled bug scrubs are separate and in addition.
For your reference, here are some of the recurring sessions:
- Design Triage: Every Monday 16:30 UTC in the #design channel.
- Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ Design Triage: Every Tuesday 16:00 UTC in the #design channel.
- Accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) Scrub: Every Friday 15:00 UTC in the #accessibility channel.
- Testing Scrub: Every other Tuesday 13:00 UTC in the #core-test channel.
- CSS Cascading Style Sheets. Scrub: First Thursday of every month 20:00 UTC in the #core-css channel.
- Upgade/Install Component: Tuesdays at 17:00 UTC in the #core-auto-update channel.
Want to lead a bug scrub?
Did you know that anyone can lead a bug scrub at anytime? Yes, you can!
How? Ping The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” me (@lukecarbis) on slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. and let me know the day and time you’re considering as well as the report or tickets you want to scrub.
Planning one that’s 5.8-focused? Awesome! We’ll add it to the schedule here. You’ll get well deserved props in the weekly Dev Chat, as well as in the #props Slack channel!
Where can you find tickets to scrub?
- Report 5 provides a list of all open 5.8 tickets:
- Report 6 provides a list of open 5.8 tickets ordered by workflow.
Need a refresher on bug scrubs? Checkout Leading Bug Scrubs in the core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. handbook.
Have a question, concern, or suggestion? Want to lead a bug scrub? Please leave a comment or reach out directly to me (@lukecarbis) on slack.