Agenda for the two meetings. Thanks to @peterwilsoncc and @jeffpaul for leading the 05:00 and 20:00 UTC devchats respectively.
Link to 05:00 UTC devchat meeting on the core channel on Slack
Link to 20:00 UTC devchat meeting on the core channel on Slack
Announcements and news
Feedback on posts requested
- @iandunn needs your input on the topic of assisting plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party developers to avoid specific bugs that result in WordPress end users having a bad experience. He has suggested potential solutions including static code analysis "...the analysis of computer software that is performed without actually executing programs, in contrast with dynamic analysis, which is analysis performed on programs while they are executing." - Wikipedia, and has provided a list of questions to help guide the discussion. Do read it and provide feedback from your perspective.
- @francina: Would Stats Dashboards Help Your Team? Read this post for more details. Would folks in core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. feel that any sorts of stats on a dashboard would support in their work in core?
- New team CC Search to join WordPress. CC Search, a CC0 (Creative Commons Zero) image search engine, is joining the WordPress project with more than 500 million openly licensed and public domain images discoverable from more than 50 sources, audio and video soon to come. Read this post for more information @chanthaboune: more news and context coming in the next few weeks.
- Wonderful design reference for those looking for ways to quickly prototype WordPress UI User interface in Figma. Read this blog post.
- WP Briefing podcast. @jeffpaul: these are super quick to digest, provide a good on-ramp to what’s latest in WordPress. Check out all the episodes at this link and find links to subscribe in your favorite podcast app.
WordPress 5.8 Release
@francina gave an update – Thanks to everyone who volunteered and right now I can confirm these roles:
Release lead The community member ultimately responsible for the Release.: Matt Mullenweg (@matt)
Release Coordinators: Jeff Paul (@jeffpaul) and Jonathan Desrosiers (@desrosj)
Triage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors. Lead: Luke Carbis (@lukecarbis)
Core Tech Lead: Helen Hou-Sandí (@helen)
Editor Tech Lead: Riad Benguella (@youknowriad)
Marketing and Communication Lead: Josepha Haden-Chomphosy (@chanthaboune)
Documentation Lead: Milana Cap (@milana_cap)
Support Lead: Mary Job (@mariaojob)
Testing Lead: Piotrek Boniu (@boniu91)
- @francina: “If I have messaged you and asked to join the release as part of the supporting crew, thanks for being part of the collaborative work that makes WordPress so great. Everyone! Join us in the channel #5-8-release-leads “
- If you have any questions about releases which you are following along, and if you want to ask questions: #core and #core-editor are the right channels
- 5.8 release team
Full Site Editing (FSE) related items
- Open call to send in your questions on Full Site Editing (FSE) Round 2 – reminder from @annezazu that you can submit questions, no matter who you are. The call closes 12 May 2021. This is part of the collaboration in #fse-outreach-experiment
- [More posts on FSE in the posts requesting feedback section above]
- Marketing has social media text available which can be reused to promote the different FSE calls
- @helen making a block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. based theme with the full site editor
Component maintainers and committers update
- @sergey: Work has continued on further fixing some long-standing coding standards issues in core, see ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. #52627 for more details.Build/Test Tools, Date/Time, I18N Internationalization, or the act of writing and preparing code to be fully translatable into other languages. Also see localization. Often written with a lowercase i so it is not confused with a lowercase L or the numeral 1. Often an acquired skill., Permalinks: No major news this week.
- @clorith: Site Health catching up a bit on older and unanswered tickets
- @audrasjb: Menus, Widgets, Upgrade/Install: nothing new. I scrubbed some tickets in the Menus component but no major news to share.
- Following on from discussion last week @marybaum nominates @abhanonstopnewsuk as co-maintainer for the Help/ About page component
- In the last week, they have been going through the tickets since and will give an update in future devchats.
- @Hareesh: some attention requested on #52163. With this out of the way, we would have less jQuery migrate warnings, and it would be easier to fix any remaining warnings.
- @clorith: jQuery UI hasn’t been updated yet, we are still waiting on their release, which I believe is scheduled for the end of May/start of June
- @davidb: jQuery release is right before Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 1 then, if the dates hold
- @clorith: Yeah, which is a bit tighter than I’d like, but it is what it is… we’ll have a look once it’s ready to see what’s going on and what the best approach is. Building from source while they’re still modifying it isn’t really an option in my opinion.
- @notlaura: feedback requested on ticket #53070. Establish a Core CSS Cascading Style Sheets. deprecation path, and ask if anyone is interested in working on it! This is something we’ve been discussing in #core-css
- @chanthaboune: As you may be aware, many of our fellow contributors are experiencing disruptions in their lives right now above and beyond the (seemingly) routine disruptions of this pandemic life. From big earthquakes to big spikes in COVID cases to unrest right outside their doors, some of your WordPress pals are hurting more than usual.
- For my part, I can say take whatever time you need to take care of yourselves. You are important and WordPress is not more important than your health and well-being.
- For all of us, if you haven’t reached out to your friends to see how they are, please do.
Thanks to @meher and @webcommsat for the devchat notes and @marybaum for her help with them.
#5-8, #dev-chat, #fse, #fse-outreach-experiment, #jquery