In preparation for the final release of WordPress 5.7 on March 9th 2021, a Release Candidate One of the final stages in the version release cycle, this version signals the potential to be a final release to the public. Also see alpha (beta). 3 has been packaged and released 🎉
The following were late-discovered blocking issues:
- Twenty Fifteen & Twenty Sixteen: Remove extra space around post editor ( 52646)
- Twenty Twenty-One: Correct inner container background color for Cover Blocks ( 52676)
- Twenty Twenty-One: Make text readable when dark background is selected for the Media & Text block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. ( 52702)
- XML-RPC: Pass an empty array to the
xmlrpc_call action in methods that have no arguments ( 52524)
- Block Editor: Fix color support for dynamic blocks ( 52709)
- Block Editor: Drop zone: fix media lib duplicate issue ( 52718)
- Block Editor: Fix cover block content position not migrating correctly from deprecated version ( 52718)
- Block Editor: Fix solid-color only cover has small gray border in the editor only ( 52718)
- Block Editor: Add z-index to gallery fig caption to make sure it is still selectable over absolute positioned border ( 52718)
- Block Editor: Cover: Add missing align
attr to deprecation ( 52718)
A special thanks to the reporters of these issues for bringing them to light.
You can test the WordPress 5.7 release candidate in two ways:
- Try the WordPress Beta Tester plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party (choose the “Bleeding edge The latest revision of the software, generally in development and often unstable. Also known as trunk.” channel and Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process./RC One of the final stages in the version release cycle, this version signals the potential to be a final release to the public. Also see alpha (beta). Only” stream options)
- Or download the release candidate here (zip).
If you think you’ve found a bug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority., you can post to the Alpha/Beta area in the support forums. We’d love to hear from you! If you’re comfortable writing a reproducible bug report, file one on WordPress Trac, where you can also find a list of known bugs.
Props to @hellofromtonya for compiling all of the issues and to @audrasjb and @davidbaumwald for their peer revision.
RC here, RC there…
RCs are everywhere
Because we must prepare!