This post summarizes the weekly editor chat meeting (agenda here) held on 2020-12-16 14:00 UTC. in Slack. Moderated by @paaljoachim.
Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ 9.6.0 RC One of the final stages in the version release cycle, this version signals the potential to be a final release to the public. Also see alpha (beta). release
Gutenberg 9.6.0 RC was released 16th December. It will have one week of testing before general release.
WordPress 5.6 release
WordPress 5.6 was released on 8th December.
Be sure to check the forums as well as the Gutenberg repository for user feedback.
December monthly priorities. Along with Key Project updates.
Full Site Editing
Full Site Editing Outreach program is starting up with the launch of Gutenberg 9.6: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2020/12/11/the-fse-outreach-program-is-officially-starting/ Join (Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel)
#fse-outreach-experiment to take part in the exploration.
Working on blocks assets loading for FSE themes. Finding ways to address styles for blocks that will be loaded asynchronously via infinite-scoll or other mechanisms. Experimenting with inlining & minifying assets on the fly when a block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. gets loaded.
Global Styles Project: We made sure Font Weight and Style can be used independently on Global Styles.
Changes: Font Weight, Style and decoration are not presets anymore.
Box control now supports custom units .
Implemented border radius support.
A few bugs were fixed Fix: Block crashes if font family is not found.
Widgets Screen and the Customizer Tool built into WordPress core that hooks into most modern themes. You can use it to preview and modify many of your site’s appearance settings.
Widgets screen: Nothing notable on the widgets screen or on adding blocks in customizer. Triage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors. sessions for both Widgets and Navigation will restart in 2021.
- Drag and drop from the inserter.
- Some 5.6 documentation follow-ups.
- Some refactorings around Popover/Dialogs (reusable hooks In WordPress theme and development, hooks are functions that can be applied to an action or a Filter in WordPress. Actions are functions performed when a certain event occurs in WordPress. Filters allow you to modify certain functions. Arguments used to hook both filters and actions look the same.).
- More FSE related work on the next week(s).
- Prep work for the launch of the #fse-outreach-experiment, 5.6 Q&A follow up, triage of the GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ repo, launched the overhaul of the new https://make.wordpress.org/core/features/ page (now with core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. editor items!) with the teamwork of @noisysocks, and doing various FSE testing with different block themes.
- Adding an experimental Gutenberg REST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/. endpoint to allow us to get data about a remote URL A specific web address of a website or web page on the Internet, such as a website’s URL www.wordpress.org for use in the editor (eg: contents of
<title> tag A directory in Subversion. WordPress uses tags to store a single snapshot of a version (3.6, 3.6.1, etc.), the common convention of tags in version control systems. (Not to be confused with post tags.) or favion…etc). Potential use cases:
- 1. Showing an embed preview for generic links when pasted into editor (a la Slack).
- 2. Showing details about a link being added using
- Making some tweaks soon and then should be ready to merge: Add URL Details endpoint to REST API to allow retrieval of info about a remote URL.
- Good progress on porting the Audio block.
- Improving our CI tests and working on performance tweaks.
- Porting Audio and Code blocks related to the RN v0.63 upgrade.
- Link picker integrations in blocks.
@Settimo Augusto Vittorio
- Needs help with Post title block: Enabling the link changes the position of the block.
- Proposed a ServerSideRenderedDataDrivenBlock, to enable developers who don’t know js to write blocks. A toggle to enable a preview.
The shortcode A shortcode is a placeholder used within a WordPress post, page, or widget to insert a form or function generated by a plugin in a specific location on your site. block could be extended to use the expected attributes as inputs in the sidebar A sidebar in WordPress is referred to a widget-ready area used by WordPress themes to display information that is not a part of the main content. It is not always a vertical column on the side. It can be a horizontal rectangle below or above the content area, footer, header, or any where in the theme.. (like ShortCake plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party was trying to do)
Link to additional discussion on Slack.
- There are usually some forum topics about coding blocks, but no one to answer them.
- Starting the “What’s Next” post for January. If you have specific focus areas (issues, PRs, etc) planned for the month please feel free to share them with me. Hearing from you all helps to make this post really useful for those outside of the core editor contributor team.
- The 16th December Core Editor chat was the last before the holidays. 23rd and 30th December there will be no official chats. The next chat in the new year will be 6th January.
- Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Have a beautiful and relaxing holiday! See you in the new year!