This post summarizes the latest weekly Editor meeting (agenda, slack transcript), held in the #core-editor Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel, on Wednesday, November 4, 2020, 14:00 UTC.
Thank you to all of the contributors who tested the Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. releases and gave feedback. Testing for bugs is a critical part of polishing every release and a great way to contribute to WordPress.
WordPress 5.6 Beta 3
WordPress 5.6 Beta 3 is now available to be tested. Released on 2nd novemebr.
Project board to track issues for inclusion in WordPress 5.6.
Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ 9.3
Gutenberg 9.3 was released on 4th november
November Monthly Priorities.
Updates on the key projects
- The pace is increasing on the Full Site Editing related work, now FSE themes don’t need the experimental flag to work properly. A warning message about the experimental state is shown in the admin (and super admin).
- I expect some of us to focus more on template parts and templates auto-draft behavior (how to load theme templates and templates parts in the site editor).
- I believe other folks are also working on the UI User interface and the Query block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience..
Full Site Editing – Navigation milestone update:
- The PR for detaching blocks from Template Parts shipped.
- Bunch of fixes and tweaks for some minor issues related to the navigation sidebar A sidebar in WordPress is referred to a widget-ready area used by WordPress themes to display information that is not a part of the main content. It is not always a vertical column on the side. It can be a horizontal rectangle below or above the content area, footer, header, or any where in the theme. and template parts.
- PR for adding incorporating search for templates and template parts is now open
- Here is an attempt to create wp_templates entries on theme updates instead of on each API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. request
- We started a new and simplified version of framework PR for introducing a custom status for templates provided by themes (or plugins) as HTML HyperText Markup Language. The semantic scripting language primarily used for outputting content in web browsers. files, which haven’t been customized by the user yet
FSE: Query block
- We now support other units and fluid typography on font size presets.
- We now use the block settings on each global styles panel.
- We now reference the preset variables on global styles so if for example global background color is set set to color X, and later we change color X, the background color also changes.
- The UI is improved and we don’t show block panels without content.
- We should have font family picker in the next few minutes (just finishing a last round of tests)
- For Global Styles the current focus is on tighten up things and fixing the flows, specially by testing what we have with the TwentyTwentyOne blocks theme.
Note: Anyone reading this summary outside of the meeting, please drop a comment in the post summary, if you can/want to help with something.
Took a deep dive in core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. data:
- Propose an update to useSelect to address every key stroke in the editor re-running all registered selectors.
- Merged two fixes related to saveEntityRecord ending up with outdated state.
- Proposed lock mechanism for core-data to ultimately fix all the timing issues.
- I am also playing with taking screenshots of all e2e failures on GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ CI.
- I’m focusing on FSE efforts as raised above
- I’m also thinking about dev notes Each important change in WordPress Core is documented in a developers note, (usually called dev note). Good dev notes generally include:
a description of the change;
the decision that led to this change
a description of how developers are supposed to work with that change.
Dev notes are published on Make/Core blog during the beta phase of WordPress release cycle. Publishing dev notes is particularly important when plugin/theme authors and WordPress developers need to be aware of those changes.In general, all dev notes are compiled into a Field Guide at the beginning of the release candidate phase. for the APIs introduced on WP 5.6 and hoping to find time to write these next week. I believe we should start publishing some of the block editor dev notes.
- Navigation drop down improvements.
- Link iterations again this one grew from improvments to link UI.
- I’m trying to do some PR trash Trash in WordPress is like the Recycle Bin on your PC or Trash in your Macintosh computer. Users with the proper permission level (administrators and editors) have the ability to delete a post, page, and/or comments. When you delete the item, it is moved to the trash folder where it will remain for 30 days. pickups as go and level up my skills there, thank you to everyone that has supported me (special calls to @itsjonq and @joen) Also continuing to work on options and going to post some flow updates to that this week.
- Release continues, so I’m also navigation around that.
- Quieter week for me, Working with others on communication for 5.6.
- some light triage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors. for unlabeled items, and some quick FSE focused testing.
- Excited to take 9.3 for a spin!
- Query block: Expose initial templates as block variations.
- Fix double alignment controls in toolbar of Heading block.
- Allow editing of extracted excerpt An excerpt is the description of the blog post or page that will by default show on the blog archive page, in search results (SERPs), and on social media. With an SEO plugin, the excerpt may also be in that plugin’s metabox. in Post Excerpt block
- Thanks to @afragen I am almost ready for Gutenberg-Nightly version for non-dev testers.
- Iterated and merged support for other units and fluid typography on font size presets.
- Iterated and merged PR to use the block settings on each global styles panel.
- Iterated and merged PR to reference the preset variables on global styles so if for example global background color is set set to color X, and later we change color X, the background color also changes.
- Submitted and merged PR to don’t show block panels without conten
- Rebased and Iterated on font family picker in the next few minutes (just finishing a last round of tests).
- Reviewed multiple PR including the moment removal PR.
- Submitted multiple small fixes/enhancements to Global styles
For the next week, I plan on testing 2021 blocks deeply with global styles and submit fixes either for the theme or to Gutenberg. I plan to continue the typography work with font weight and recheck a possible font loading global styles API.
- I’ll be focused on Twenty Twenty-One Blocks.
- Asked what’s the best way to register block for particular post type.
- Current option is to loop The Loop is PHP code used by WordPress to display posts. Using The Loop, WordPress processes each post to be displayed on the current page, and formats it according to how it matches specified criteria within The Loop tags. Any HTML or PHP code in the Loop will be processed on each post. https://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop. through blocks and unregister undesored blocks for the posttype.
#meeting-notes, #core-editor, #editor, #gutenberg, #core-editor-summary