Now that we have finalized the initial requirements for the WP Notify project, it’s time to kick of the project build.
I would therefore like to open the floor for suggestions on how best to move forward. I have some initial comments/questions, that I would like to gather feedback on.
- We should probably start with designing/prototyping what the various pieces will look like.
- What software will we use for design/prototyping
- How will we gather feedback to the designs.
- As discussed in our requirements document, this will be built as a feature plugin A plugin that was created with the intention of eventually being proposed for inclusion in WordPress Core. See Features as Plugins.. We therefore need to start the process of deciding on where/how this plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party will be built
- Will we use GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/, or WordPress style svn + trac An open source project by Edgewall Software that serves as a bug tracker and project management tool for WordPress.?
- Are we able to start developing the framework of the plugin/making development decisions?
- It would be ideal if we could identify/select two separate reps for these efforts, a technical rep to manage the plugin development and a design rep to manage the design efforts.
- How will we select these folks?
- Do we have any candidates?
- It’s important to note that these reps could change over time, but for now I’m just considering how we deal with making decisions.
- Is it time to resurrect the weekly meetings?
Please feel free to leave your comments/suggestions here, I’ll leave comments open for 1 week until Thursday, July 16, 2020, 20:00 UTC, and then use the feedback to help us define our next steps.