This post summarizes the latest weekly Editor meeting (agenda, slack transcript), held in the #core-editor Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel, on Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 14:00 UTC.
Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ 8.3.0
Gutenberg 8.3.0 has been released. The team continues iterating on two big projects – Full Site Editing and Navigation Screen- while improving other areas of the editor as well.
Includes some great features like padding support for cover blocks, color support for link, enhanced block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. toolbars. Check out the release note for more details.
The high-level items that Gutenberg contributors are focusing on for the month are available here
There was limited discussion on the specifics.
Looking to land the Block Inserter for 5.5. Extra eyes are needed on this PR and @ellatrix is looking at reusing an existing endpoint for the front end images, but there could be the possibility an experimental API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. is shipped. The issue will be discussed by the REST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/. team.
Note: Anyone reading this summary outside of the meeting, please drop a comment in the post summary, if you can/want to help with something.
- Working on a new Create a Block tutorial based on the create-block and wp-scripts for developers new to block development.
- Working on Full Site Editing related items
- The main priority being WP 5.5 would be reviewing anything related to it, especially issues/PR’s we want to get in, but are stalled or need design feedback.
- I would appreciate pings on any issues for 5.5 that could use design eyes.
- Working on some documentation and wrangling proper feedback tools for the Full Site Editing outreach program. This documentation will be specific to helping those in the program know how best to provide feedback, setup Gutenberg.
- Working on adding a heading level checker. Design feedback to ensure an accessible UI User interface would be appreciated 22650.
- As a follow-up to 22650, working on a PR that refactors PostSavedState to use hooks In WordPress theme and development, hooks are functions that can be applied to an action or a Filter in WordPress. Actions are functions performed when a certain event occurs in WordPress. Filters allow you to modify certain functions. Arguments used to hook both filters and actions look the same.. (some technical questions that need addressing before I can progress)
- PR to revise the Save draft and Preview buttons should be ready for final reviews now.
- Custom HTML HyperText Markup Language. The semantic scripting language primarily used for outputting content in web browsers. block polish PR needs reviews.
- Table of Contents block PR is still stuck.
- List block color controls PR is also stuck.
A code quality PR to refactor ReusableBlockEditPanel to use hooks is ready for review.
- Mostly working on image editing refinements (since we’ll try to get it in 5.5) and experimenting with the light block API.
- Working essentially on the Inserter and helping with a few other things like Admin (and super admin) Colors handling.
- Continue focus on the Cover block, have PRs/branches that enables:
- positioning coordinates for Video backgrounds (+ improved positioning controls).
- Extract dominant color from the Cover image
- Apply background filters (e.g. saturation, contrast, etc… ) (works for video too!)
- Continuing efforts to improve
The goal is to make them feature-rich so that the core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress./3rd party has less overhead when using them. This includes improving internal state management, style rendering, cross-component integration, and built-in UX User experience features (e.g. drag to update).
- Working with @mkaz on Create a Block tutorial.
- General Gutenberg design triage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors..
- Working on getting rid of errors that occur in the console 23019, 22967.
- Working on changing the layout of transform Block to a vertical list and changing a bit the Styles preview 23028.
- Improvements in the MediaPlaceholder and MediaReplaceFlow, which in short allow us to control the uploading process a little bit more, knowing what are the files that are being uploaded by the user.
- The Gutenberg-Mobile + Gutenberg Web “Monorepo” effort seems to be approaching final PR Reviews in the next 1-2 weeks, so we wanted to give everyone here a heads up about that.
- Final PR should go from Draft to Ready for review in the next 2-3 days.
- Changes that web devs might see are summarized here.
- For now, would like to highlight
- We added 4 new CI jobs (as GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ actions) which will run on each PR for e2e testing of the mobile demo app.
- A new npm command
- After Monorepo changes are merged, you will be able to try the demo app by running
npm run native start:reset followed by
npm run android (or
npm run ios) in a new terminal.
- You will need either the Android SDK or XCode installed on your machine (a docker based script should come later).
- It was discussed yesterday to switch Gutenberg docs publishing to DevHub back to off the master tag A directory in Subversion. WordPress uses tags to store a single snapshot of a version (3.6, 3.6.1, etc.), the common convention of tags in version control systems. (Not to be confused with post tags.), and then figure out how to publish sets of versioned docs based off wp version tags. I’m not sure what the next steps should be. I can modify scripts and process and work on it, but don’t know who/where/what/how
- The problem of using a master is that things change that aren’t in core. So the idea was a version switcher, for a complete set of docs Or somehow version on a per-function/feature, which is how Codex/Reference works in Core.
- @youknowriad A version switcher would be great. I’d suggest you should ask in #meta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. or try to find a developer familiar with the meta repo to help here.
- I’ll check with them and see what we can work out
#meeting-notes, #core-editor, #editor, #gutenberg