Editor Chat Summary: 27th May, 2020

This post summarizes the latest weekly Editor meeting (agendaslack transcript). This meeting was held in the #core-editor SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel on Wednesday, May 27, 2020,14:00 UTC and was moderated by @itsjusteileen.

Quick Announcements

WordPress 5.5 Upcoming Release 

The planning roundup for 5.5 can be found here. There are several features that are under an experimental flag in Gutenberg, and to have a chance to make it for 5.5 they’d need to be out of experimental by July 7th. This led to a quick discussion that the widgetWidget A WordPress Widget is a small block that performs a specific function. You can add these widgets in sidebars also known as widget-ready areas on your web page. WordPress widgets were originally created to provide a simple and easy-to-use way of giving design and structure control of the WordPress theme to the user. screen can soon leave the experimental state!

@matveb chimed in to share the following later on to highlight that there’s plenty to do beyond the main projects that are underway if people want to/can help:

I wanted to mention that while many groups are focused on larger pieces of work (FSE, global styles, navigation, etc) 5.5 will require some focus on ensuring what exists right now is in good shape. That includes shipping the new design, patterns, the new inserter with new categories, new APIs and deprecations, etc.

Gutenberg version 8.2

Gutenberg RC candidate 8.2.0 was released this week with the stable release launched just after this meeting ended. Update your sites and check out what’s new.

Monthly Plan

There was limited discussion on the specifics of the current monthly priorities.

Task Coordination

Note: Anyone reading this summary outside of the meeting, please drop a comment in the post summary, if you can/want to help with something.


  • Flagged this issue as needing a decision about the dynamic content with @matveb chiming in to say that there needs to be closer parity with the current theme experience as a start.



  • Focusing on a new iteration of theme.json and early documentation for it.
  • Helping with reviews and other PRs, mainly in the areas of styles & blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. registration.


  • Dropping a new figma prototype very shortly on inserting saved (and new) template parts that deviates from previous designs and the current implementation. 
  • Planning to create a new issue with designs/discussion around a vertical grid for template building (and general layout things).
  • Planning to update the end to end full site editing prototype (i4).


  • Working with coreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress.-media data flow, design gallery, image block, gallery patterns.


  • Working on the widgets screen with @jorgefilipecosta.
  • Updating UIUI User interface issues/PRs with Figma label.
  • Providing feedback on FSE work.
  • Redesign of spotlight mode with @youknowriad.


  • Focusing deeply on navigation with a side order of triagetriage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors..


  • Various work on the navigation screen
  • Added new suggestion types to LinkControl
  • Continued the work on adding delete to Entities


  • working with @michael-arestad on inserting saved (and new) template parts (FSE).


  • Add RichText split-at-end/merge/remove behavior.
  • Add usePrevious hook to @wordpress/compose package.
  • Use toolbar exclusively for heading level controls in Heading Block
  • PR to replace instances of Lodash.includes with native JSJS JavaScript, a web scripting language typically executed in the browser. Often used for advanced user interfaces and behaviors. [].includes in the block-editor package is awaiting reviews.
  • PR to refactor ReusableBlockEditPanel to use ReactReact React is a JavaScript library that makes it easy to reason about, construct, and maintain stateless and stateful user interfaces. https://reactjs.org/. hooksHooks In WordPress theme and development, hooks are functions that can be applied to an action or a Filter in WordPress. Actions are functions performed when a certain event occurs in WordPress. Filters allow you to modify certain functions. Arguments used to hook both filters and actions look the same. is awaiting reviews.
  • PR for the Table of Contents Block needs technical help/feedback in order to progress along with accessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) feedback.
  • PR for the Reusable Block edit component has made progress thanks to feedback/help but has one remaining behavior issue that’s blocking it.
  • Polish Custom HTML block PR is ready to go, assuming the stylistic changes are okay. Please provide design feedback.
  • Started a PR to update the Quote Block to use a light block wrapper but got stuck and need technical help to move forward. Solving this will help other blocks use light block wrappers.
  • Started a PR to add color controls to the List block but running into problems with style conflicts on most default WordPress themes.
  • Started a PR to add a heading level checker to the Heading block, based on prior efforts in this issue.


  • Adding Padding controls
  • Working on video Background position controls
  • Working on cover image auto dominant colour detection

Open Floor

@youknowriad shared helpful guidelines for folks creating PRs to make the changelog easier to automatically compile.

  • When working on experimental screens and features, apply the [Type] Experimental label instead of Feature, Enhancement, etc.
  • When working on new features to technical packages (scripts, create-block, adding  react hooks, etc), apply the [Type] New API label instead of Feature, Enhancement, etc.
  • When fixing a bugbug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. or making an enhancementenhancement Enhancements are simple improvements to WordPress, such as the addition of a hook, a new feature, or an improvement to an existing feature. to an internal tool used in the project, apply the [Type] Build Tooling instead of Bugs, Enhancement, etc.
  • In PR titles, instead of describing the code change done to fix an issue, consider referring to the actual bug being fixed instead. For example: instead of saying “Check for nullable object in component”, it would be preferable to say “Fix editor breakage when clicking the copy block button”.
  • Take the time to choose the right [Type] label for your PRs. With some updates to the changelog command (type priorities), we should be able to support multiple types on a PR for some of the examples above.

Next step: @annezazu will look into updating both triage documentation and contributor documentation as appropriate.

Will core-editor participate in Contributor Day and should this be mentioned to participants? Raised by @itsjusteileen.

Yes! @youknowriad is planning to do a quick zoom chat to help people setup a Gutenberg environment at the beginning of the day. To come prepared, please have “Docker” + Latest node.JS LTS setup. This is also mentioned above under announcements.

Listing names in the code owners document to better understand who can be pinged for help/a review. Raised by @paaljoachim.

Paal encouraged everyone to review this document and keep it up to date. @karmatosed mentioned that relying on solid labeling alongside bringing in specific people from that list will likely help more for getting everyone to see issues appropriately.

#meeting-notes, #core-editor, #editor, #gutenberg, #core-editor-summary