This is a monthly update containing the high-level items that Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ contributors are focusing on for the next month. Join us in our efforts.
Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Content Areas
Work on this major focus is ongoing and is expected to continue iterating over the next months.
- Continue improving the Edit Site UI User interface
- Improve the saving flow. 20421
- Improve the template selector picker. 20469 20478
- Continue on the Full Site Editing blocks (post tags 20418, post comments 19894).
- Work on the Block Context API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways.. 19685
- Continue on the experimental block-based themes.
- Update the Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. blocks styles to support the Global styles variables.
- Define and document the available settings.
These are different from the Block Variations API (that was initially named patterns as well). These are pre-made post/page sections that can be inserted and edited.
- Create a rich built-in patterns library. 20345
- Iterate on the Patterns UI. 17335
- The first iteration of the new Block UI has been merged and it will be polished/iterated on during the upcoming month. 19344
- Implement the first version of the Block Editor Controlling API. 20588
- The ongoing effort to use a lighter Block DOM structure in the editor and match the frontend.
While these are our focuses don’t forget you can always help with triage, needs testing issues, good first issues and reviewing PRs.