Dev Chat Summary – February 19th, 2020 (5.4 week 6)

@francina facilitated the chat on this agenda

@cenay took care of publishing the summary notes. Special thanks to @valentinbora, @amykamala and @audrasjb for the peer review on these summary notes. 

Full Meeting transcript on Slack

This devchat marked week 6 of the 5.4 release cycle.

Announcements

WordPress 5.4 Beta 2 was released yesterday, February 18, as scheduled.

  • 5.4 Beta 3 is scheduled to be released on February 25, 2020. (Note to committers and maintainers, the cut off time to get bugs fixed and into WP 5.4 is February 25th, 20 UTC)
  • 5.4 is intended to be released March 31st, 2020.

Agenda

  • Status report on the About page – content and design
  • Dev Notes status and how to proceed to get them all published in time for RC1 and the Field Guide. 
  • Highlighted Posts: XML Sitemaps Kickoff Meeting Announcement 
  • Component Check-ins

5.4 Beta 3 to be released on February 25th

As mentioned, WordPress 5.4 Beta 2 was released on February 18th, 2020. 

Please help by testing the Beta and reporting any bugs on WordPress Trac (or the Gutenberg GitHub repository).

@audrasjb suggested it would be great to schedule one or two bug scrubs before the next beta so we can punt/help the 134 remaining tickets in the milestone. @francina “seconded” with a call out for anyone who has spare time to help organize a bug scrub (See this post for how to run one). Open tickets for 5.4 can be found here (in order of priority). The Bug Scrub schedule for 5.4 lists scheduled scrubs for anyone to join in. 

Status Report on the About Page – Content and Design

@karmatosed stated everything is lining up to start the About page earlier this release. There will also be a push to document this. @melchoyce and @elmastudio are leading the design charge on this with @marktimemedia riding along to observe. @marybaum added they’ve got chunks of the copy written and she promised to share it with major-release-squad.  

Dev Notes Status 

..and how to proceed to get them all published in time for RC1 and the Field Guide.

@audrasjb reports since the last dev chat, four new dev notes were published:

@audrasjb also reports to date, they have a dev note published for about 50% of closed tickets with the `needs-dev-note` keyword in the milestone and 4 drafted dev notes ready to publish. He is very confident they’ll have all dev notes published by the end of the month (during last week before RC1)

@jorgefilipecosta reports he is tracking the progress of the block editor related dev notes and requests that any feedback before the dev notes are published would be great as the content there was not yet reviewed and is just what the original people involved in a PR think the dev note should contain.

@johnbillion asks that if anyone sees changes going into core that they think need a dev note, to leave a comment on the ticket. @audrasjb adds “if you think there are some important tickets that don’t have the `needs-dev-note` keyword, please get in touch with me”. @azaozz asks that you ensure the dev notes are really for developers and are concise and to the point and preferably with a code example of changed usage. @jorbin reminds us to remember the guidelines for posts and the need to have a peer review. 

@francina thinks having a separate page with guidelines on submitting dev notes would be helpful. @earnjam mentioned @desrosj would have a draft written up on the subject.

Highlighted Posts

@francina announced the highlighted post. There were no comments. 

Component Check-ins

  • News from Components
  • Components up for adoption (i.e. looking for maintainers): Filesystem API and Rewrite Rules
  • Components that need help
  • Cross component collaboration

News From Components

Administration

@valentinbora reports 1 week after he took up Administration, 40+ tickets have been triaged with 2-3 moved to other components. Per the previous meeting’s discussion regarding the very existence of the Administration component, @valentinbora thinks it’s here to stay.

Gutenberg

@jeffpaul raised the issue of Gutenberg development overlapping existing Core components and how to best communicate with their respective maintainers/teams. @francina proposed a continued discussion about the cooperation between Components and Gutenberg out of the meeting.  

Widgets & Menus

@audrasjb noted 3 bug fixes with `commit` keyword and concerns about managing the transition and backward compatibility with tickets referring to current widgets/menus and new tickets referring to full site editing (FSE). 

@noisysocks recommends that maintainers of the widgets, customizer and editor components get involved and look at the relevant labels in the Gutenberg repository. 

Open Floor – Announcement

@pbiron announced that a new version of the WordPress Beta Tester plugin was released earlier today with a new feature. On the settings screen (`Tools > Beta Testing`), once you’ve already updated to either `Point release nightlies` or `Bleeding edge nightlies`, you’ll see a new option for `Beta/RC`. Once you’ve set that as your current stream, you’ll only be updated when the next beta or RC (or official) is released rather than the nightlies. 

One advantage of this new feature is that you’ll be able to update to beta or RC packages right in the Dashboard (Dashboard > Update) as soon as the packages are built during the release parties if you’re not comfortable using wp-cli.  Hopefully, this will increase the pool of testers during the release parties.

As the meeting was over time, the remaining two topics from today’s agenda were not started. 

Action Items

These items were discovered within the content as stated action items.

  • @francina to add the bug scrubs to the meetings page (like she did for 5.3)
  • @francina to add “creating a separate page with dev note guidelines, adding comments to a ticket” to her desiderata. Check with @desrosj who might have a draft of a page with details about how to write a good dev note.
  • @audrasjb and @welcher should look at Widgets/Menus issues/PR on Gutenberg
  • @noisysocks to add a ‘call for volunteers’ to the next core editor chat to implement proactive communications from Gutenberg to those component maintainers to help find ways to work together.
  • @jeffpaul suggests we call out notice to the new WordPress Beta Tester plugin in the Beta 3 blog post (and future posts as well) so folks looking to help test have a starting place. 
  • @clorith wants to chat about how to move more things into a React world and how to do it outside of Gutenberg.
  • @noisysocks to “put something up” on Make/Core to continue the conversation about cooperation between Components and Gutenberg (i.e. Cross Teams Collaboration).

Next Meeting

Meetings for #devchat take place weekly in the #core channel. The next meeting is Wednesday, Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 21:00 UTC

#5-4, #summary