Have a topic for discussion for the next meeting? Leave a suggested edit on next week’s agenda.
New “create-block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.” package
@gziolo has opened a pull request to propose a new “create-block” package, intended to be used by plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party authors to scaffold new blocks. This is the result of work which had been previewed during a previous meeting’s open floor.
- Separate package vs. part of the existing
- Needs to be separate to be usable as an
npm init initializer.
- We could decide later to add something to
scripts which “proxies” commands to the separate package
- Differences from the existing WP-CLI WP-CLI is the Command Line Interface for WordPress, used to do administrative and development tasks in a programmatic way. The project page is http://wp-cli.org/ https://make.wordpress.org/cli/ scaffold script?
- Embraces build tooling, vs. intention of WP-CLI script to be run-and-done
- Can be run outside a WordPress environment
- Future goals
- @epiqueras shared a problem which has surfaced in development of the block editor relating to values in inner blocks contextual to their ancestor blocks. He has worries about the performance impact of the current approaches, and has proposed an idea for a solution to improve the block API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. in a way which creates a shared context for block values.
- @davilera raised an ongoing discussion regarding date function inconsistencies. This was also discussed during last week’s meeting. As an action item, he would like for a decision on the desired behavior and function signatures. We want to avoid backwards-incompatible changes. The pull request in its current form is sufficient for fixing an existing bug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority.. After some discussion, a plan emerges that changes toward a more desirable API can and will be made within the current pull request without introducing breaking changes.