This is a monthly update containing the high-level items that Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ contributors are focusing on for the next month. Join us in our efforts.
Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Content Areas
Work on this major focus is ongoing and is expected to continue iterating over the next months.
- Work on a separate Edit Site UI User interface
- Load the front page template. 19081.
- Switching templates. 19141.
- Framework: Nest block lists from multiple entities (posts). 19203, 18739.
- More Full Site Editing blocks (post author, post tags, site description…).
- Expose global styles. 19255.
- Experimental block-based theme.
In a continuous effort to improve the accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) and the usability of the Gutenberg design based on user feedback, an updated Block UI design is being explored. 18667.
- Move the block movers to the block toolbar 18685.
- Update the Block UI 19344.
- Lighter Block DOM structure 19010.
Existing interactions and blocks will be iterated on:
- Polishing the Navigation block and addressing early feedback Projects/31.
- Expand the new Media Flow component to other blocks. 19198, 19174.
- Block patterns for several blocks and inserter UI. 17335, 16283, 19243.
While these are our focuses don’t forget you can always help with triage, ‘needs testing’ and reviewing PRs