This is a monthly update containing the high-level items that Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ contributors are focusing on for the next month. Join us in our efforts.
Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Content Areas
The previous weeks saw a lot of iterations towards building the block content areas APIs and the full site editing experience (Post content, Post title, Site title blocks landed, an early demo is now included in the plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party). In the next weeks, contributors will be working on expanding on this work:
- Work on a UI User interface to save multiple entities (post, site, template…) from the same interface. 18029.
- Nested template areas. (Template parts). 18736.
- Support for a view-only mode for non-admins. 18760, 18772.
- Start working on a Full-site editing view/mode.
- Start working on documentation and calls for testing.
Block patterns are a way to provide a predefined set of blocks you can select for a given container block (Columns, Group, Media & Text) or without any container block as a way to insert a pre-made design into the editor. Some parts of the initial API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. are already available. In the next weeks, we’ll focus on implementing block patterns for several blocks and exploring UI to insert these patterns. 17335, 16283.
Existing interactions and blocks will be iterated on:
- Polishing the Navigation block and addressing early feedback Projects/31.
- Custom gradient picker 17603.
- Improvements to the Media Flows. 16200.
- Iterations on the block interface and the block toolbar 18667, 18686.
- Toolbar Accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) improvements 18619.
While these are our focuses don’t forget you can always help with triage, ‘needs testing’ and reviewing PRs