This post summarizes the latest weekly Editor meeting, held in the #core-editor Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel, on Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 13:00 UTC.
Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ 6.8
Gutenberg 6.8 RC One of the final stages in the version release cycle, this version signals the potential to be a final release to the public. Also see alpha (beta). is scheduled for release next week Monday.
These week priorities are same as last week. There has been some progress on the PRs and some are getting close to merge.
- Gradients: Theme support, classNames, custom UI User interface.
- Full site editing: Site Title block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience., rendering engine, temporary template editing UI and start working on the multi-entity saving UI.
- Improvements to the link UI a bit mid-term goal.
- Complex block interactions https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/13202 Some requirements are needed before that: selection mode https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/17088 and better drag and drop.
Note: Anyone reading this summary outside of the meeting, please drop a comment in the post summary, if you can/want to help with something.
- Worked on the gradient related tasks.
- Submitted a core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. patch A special text file that describes changes to code, by identifying the files and lines which are added, removed, and altered. It may also be referred to as a diff. A patch can be applied to a codebase for testing. to make KSES allow gradient backgrounds.
- Proposed a solution for automatic editor styles generation.
- Will work on oprn PR/Patch.
- Will work on iteration to custom gradient picker.
- Helped with Storybook, explored unit test Code written to test a small piece of code or functionality within a larger application. Everything from themes to WordPress core have a series of unit tests. Also see regression. generation for stories.
- Fixed ESLint warnings.
- Ensured repository works with Node 12.x.
- Reviews and general help with tasks:
- Card components.
- Accessible toolbar.
- prettier code formatter integration.
- new packages with the base styles.
- Will start work on Patterns API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. for blocks and continue working on items listed.
- Triaged and organized the project board.
- Worked on navigation menu A theme feature introduced with Version 3.0. WordPress includes an easy to use mechanism for giving various control options to get users to click from one place to another on a site. customization https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/17832.
- @bharath asked for update on adding background image support for group block https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/14744.
- There was some discussion around removing cover block in favor of group block with background image support.
- @gziolo mentioned for backward compatibility reasons Cover block will have to exists forever.
#meeting-notes, #core-editor, #editor, #gutenberg