This post summarizes for the weekly editor chat meeting on Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 1300 UTC held in Slack.
The agenda can be found here.
- @nadir working with @joen on improvements to the Separator block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. (may end up as new Divider block), and is looking into making the Stylelint config more strict.
- @youknowriad gave feedback on PRs, is exploring a full screen modal proposal, and would like help moving the Structure and Block Navigation PR forward.
- @karmatosed triaging PRs and modal excitement.
- @mapk working on grid system and table block. Would like dev help with widgets and “Replace Image“.
- @kjellr working on Tips and the Notice component.
- @gziolo published and improved WordPress npm packages. Working on unification of text blocks and More menu accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) with @noisysocks and @afercia.
- @brentswisher wants feedback on a PR review for documentation about reviewing PRs. Wants to integrate updated prototype from @tinkerbelly for updating publishing flow and keep reviewing open PRs.
- @chrisvanpatten will be triaging docs tickets at WordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. for Publishers.
- @pierlo updated a PR to show anchors in the block navigation.
- @paaljoachim added mockups for alternative heading icons.
@karmatosed and @chrisvanpatten brought up the need for leadership in user focused documentation for Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/.
Graphics requested for Gutenberg documentation can be found on the Design team’s board.
@paaljoachim offered to reach out to the docs team for assistance in moving forward. If you’re interested in helping with user-focused docs for Gutenberg, please reach out in the comments here or in the #core-editor channel!
@kadamwhite mentioned that the REST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/. team is working on catching up with requests for feedback on tickets and invited folks to the the #core-restapi channel to connect.
Note: Anyone reading this summary outside of the meeting, please drop a comment if you can/want to help with something.
The agenda for the next meeting, 14 August 2019 13:00 UTC is here, please add anything you want to discuss.