This post summarizes the weekly editor chat meeting on Wednesday, 17 July 2019, 15:00 GMT+2 held in Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..
The agenda followed can be found here.
Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ 6.2
RC One of the final stages in the version release cycle, this version signals the potential to be a final release to the public. Also see alpha (beta). due to next week. Milestone (12 issues open).
Some people are away this week.
- @karmatosed is focusing on triage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors. and board coordination. Also doing a few design reviews.
- @kjellr is working on tips improvements and Patterns API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. designs.
- @mapk is working with Tammie on widgets screens reviews and recorded several issues for testing. Helping to keep the icon + labels PR moving forward.
- @nosolosw is reviewing some open Drag&Drop PRs.
- @aduth has some work on custom sources for block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. attributes (meta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. attributes and site options). Also implementing local storage-based autosave backups.
- @jorgefilipecosta is handling block style improvements. Also reviewing PRs while focusing on RichText, among other bug A bug is an error or unexpected result. Performance improvements, code optimization, and are considered enhancements, not defects. After feature freeze, only bugs are dealt with, with regressions (adverse changes from the previous version) being the highest priority. fixes.
- @welcher Adding priority to SlotFill system.
- @chrisvanpatten plans to announce a Gutendocs bug scrub soon (aiming at Monday morning eastern time, probably next week).
Tammie suggests testing as a good way to get involved in the project. The “needs testing” label is a good starting point to review Pull Requests that need help.