Editor chat summary: Wednesday, 10 July 2019

This post summarizes for the weekly editor chat meeting on Wednesday, 10th July 2019, 13:00 UTC held in Slack.

Gutenberg 6.1

Thanks to @noisysocks for the release of Gutenberg 6.1.  Highlights include:

  • motion on block reordering, 
  • performance improvements, and
  • a new `PluginDocumentSettingSlot` enabling third-party developers to add panels to the document settings sidebar.

Very nice to see the editor becoming more polished over time. For a fuller description, please view this post and be sure to check out the short video that helps make the changes come alive.

Task Coordination

  • @mapk catching up on all the amazing work and jumping in to review and help keep things moving forward.
  • @aduth 
    • Custom block sources work is nearly ready for merge (currently a refactoring for meta attributes, but will build support for other sources like post properties, site options, etc) https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/16402
    • Started exploring localStorage-based autosaves https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/16490
    • I’ve got a few reviews I need to catch up on
    • Hopefully planning to tackle some lacking documentation I’ve seen mentioned in this channel over the past weeks
  • @youknowriad

has reviewed a bunch of PRs:

  • – Custom block attribute sources
  • – Mobile unit tests to be added to CI
  • – Smaller PRs here and there.

And worked on several things:

  • – Performance improvements
  • – Try to build a better Drag and Drop
  • – Work on accessibility: Edit and Navigation Mode
  • – Some low-level refactorings (Slots)
  • @getdave
    • Merged PR to allow alternative Blocks to register themselves to handle Grouping interactions (side benefit: also removes hardcoded refs to core/group within transformation logic)
    • Working on PR to add a grouping flag to the Block supports. This will allow Blocks to opt-in/out of being available to be grouped. This is because certain blocks shouldn’t be Groupable (eg: single column block).
    • #16278 Update to allow alternative Blocks to handle Grouping interactions
  • @epiqueras
    • – Reviewed: Custom Sources PR.
    • – Opened: FSE Templates PR, Block Invalidation Fix PR.
    • – Closed: Some issues that were fixed by parallel PRs.
  • @karmatosed
    • deep diving into the ‘needs design’ and ‘needs design feedback’ labels. My focus is on what can we ship, what needs to be made into multiple issues (some conversations grew) and what can have a quick mock to just get coded to see.  
    • Considering splitting out our project boards for ease.
  • @kjellr
    • I have a quick fix for @tellthemachines helpfully pinpointed the reason for failing tests in the borders + padding for nested blocks PR, but it’s still a little fragile, so I’d love another set of eyes.
    • I’m working on getting a V1 ready for the new Tips implementation, so @noisysocks can begin development:
    • Helping sort out a possible way to add a circular block style for images:
    • Working on comps for the Patterns API:
    • Finally, I’d love a dev to pick this one up at some point.
  • @joen created this PR to improve the consistency of how the trailing appender works in nested contexts. 
  • @jorgefilipecosta submitted a PR that expands block styles allowing users to select a default style per block, submitted some bug fixes and merged old PR’s. Reviewed RichText refactors, live drag drop, custom parser options, and widgets in the customizer

Open Floor

  • @tellthemachines opened a new issue around automated tests and documentation on expected behavior. She’s looking for feedback in GitHub so unit testing can be better documented and easier to implement for all contributors. New contributor feedback is requested to further improve the tests. @mapk suggested a post about the topic to share information.
  • @spacedmonkey wants to add a custom block to the list of allowed blocks when extending the core/media-text block.
  • @spacedmonkey requested direction for an issue allowing inner blocks to be defined at the block level, making them filterable. While similar to the concept of child blocks opened under @youknowriad suggesting opening a new issue in GitHub rather than reopening previous issue
  • @aduth will be restructuring GitHub tags to  remove “Theme” from “Plugin & Theme Interoperability”, add a new “Themes” label and will update descriptions

Note: Anyone reading this summary outside of the meeting, please drop a comment if you can/want to help with something.

The agenda for the next meeting, 17 July 2019 13:00 UTC is here, please add anything you want to discuss.#meeting-notes, #core-editor#editor-chat#summary