This post summarizes the latest weekly Editor meeting, held in the #core-editor Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel, on Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 14:00 UTC.
Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ 5.3 Release
- Gutenberg 5.3 is released, for the full list of changes refer to the release post.
- WordPress 5.2 to ship with Gutenberg 5.3.
- Section block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. and inner blocks alignment.
- A11y Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) issues highlighted by the accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) team.
- Widgets screen based on the proposed design utilizing new generic block-editor.
- @mapk will be testing the block manager, pushing the blocks in customizer Tool built into WordPress core that hooks into most modern themes. You can use it to preview and modify many of your site’s appearance settings. design work.
- @getdave, @mapk and @kjellr are iterating on the inner block alignments and the section block.
- @youknowriad, @jorgefilipecosta and @aduth are interested in starting the new widgets screen design (task open for other volunteers).
- @mppfeiffer is working on adding vertical alignment to the Media and Text block.
- @aduth is working on using the block editor module for reusable blocks.
- @gziolo is iterating on the Block Registration API An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways..
- @jorgefilipecosta is iterating on the legacy widget A WordPress Widget is a small block that performs a specific function. You can add these widgets in sidebars also known as widget-ready areas on your web page. WordPress widgets were originally created to provide a simple and easy-to-use way of giving design and structure control of the WordPress theme to the user. block and some improvements for gallery/media & text blocks.
- @nerrad is continuing on the effects to controls refactoring effort.
Note: Anyone reading this summary outside of the meeting, please drop a comment in the post summary, if you can/want to help with something.
The meeting archive is here.
The agenda for the next meeting is here, please add anything you want to discuss.
#meeting-notes, #core-editor, #editor, #gutenberg