The following is a summary of the weekly Privacy office hours that occurred on January 30, 2019. Weekly privacy office hours are held every Wednesday at 19:00 UTC. A full transcript can be found here in the #core-privacy room in the Make WordPress Slack.
Attendees: @desrosj, @idea15, @garrett-eclipse, @dejliglama.
Here are the highlights of the meeting:
The items in the latest roadmap revision were discussed and reprioritized. Because of uncertainty with upcoming laws, existing items should be worked on until around the time of WCEU. The priorities were reorganized into the following order:
- Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. Feature Privacy (things already in Core)
- Gravatar Is an acronym for Globally Recognized Avatar. It is the avatar system managed by WordPress.com, and used within the WordPress software. https://gravatar.com/. Privacy Controls
- Embed Privacy Controls
- Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ Blocks
- WP-CLI WP-CLI is the Command Line Interface for WordPress, used to do administrative and development tasks in a programmatic way. The project page is http://wp-cli.org/ https://make.wordpress.org/cli/ Support
- Multisite Used to describe a WordPress installation with a network of multiple blogs, grouped by sites. This installation type has shared users tables, and creates separate database tables for each blog (wp_posts becomes wp_0_posts). See also network, blog, site Support
All other items were moved to the back burner.
Roadmap update will soon be published on https://make.wordpress.org/core/roadmap/privacy/
Other Items/Open Floor
- @dejliglama was officially championed as a privacy component maintainer.
The next weekly privacy office hours will be held on Wednesday, February 6, 2019, at 19:00 UTC in the #core-privacy room in the Make WordPress Slack.