Thanks for everyone that attended, you can catch the archive here.
- Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 1 coming on Jan 10. Ticket Created for both bug reports and feature development on the bug tracker. list here to close or punt Contributors sometimes use the verb "punt" when talking about a ticket. This means it is being pushed out to a future release. This typically occurs for lower priority tickets near the end of the release cycle that don't "make the cut." In this is colloquial usage of the word, it means to delay or equivocate. (It also describes a play in American football where a team essentially passes up on an opportunity, hoping to put themselves in a better position later to try again.) before then.
- Aiming for 2000-2200 UTC, give or take.
- Help is needed right now for triaging that list. You can help get 5.1 to beta, a great start is by reviewing tickets here.
- There has been a change with PHP The web scripting language in which WordPress is primarily architected. WordPress requires PHP 5.6.20 or higher-FPM detailed here. @pento made a request for hosts to test this change.
- @matt is leading with @pento as deputy for this release.
Updates from focus leads and component maintainers
- New release of Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/.
- There is also some early discovery/ideation of phase 2 boundaries starting here.
- Conversation on the design/research side here.
- Still working on identifying places to remove cruft and also some excellent work on clearing up tickets in preparation for 5.1.
- Planning for 2019 got started along with a discussion of auditing existing documentation for accuracy.
- Action requested on discussion of tackling lingering Trac An open source project by Edgewall Software that serves as a bug tracker and project management tool for WordPress. tickets. Please share your thoughts.
- The bulk edit that happened last week, was not based on the proposal in the post by @desrosj.
- The triage The act of evaluating and sorting bug reports, in order to decide priority, severity, and other factors. team will be writing a post to start discussion of best practices soon and how to get involved.