Have a topic for discussion for the next meeting? Leave a suggested edit on the next meeting’s agenda.
Revisiting Note Takers for 2019
A rotating set of volunteers are responsible for publishing these chat summaries. The topic was raised as an opportunity to make additions or removals from the rotation. Thanks to @ajitbohra and @jorgefilipecosta for adding themselves to the rotation!
In addition, there was some question to the intended format of the summaries. @nerrad has since added a new “Guidelines for Note Takers” section to the same Note Takers document.
Reviewing Documentation for Accuracy Post-5.0
It was suggested to coordinate with the docs team to better understand where to start, and what documents might be relevant for auditing.
Ideas for Handling Future Deprecations
A preliminary discussion was held to surface ideas for how deprecations may be handled in the future. This has been discussed in previous meetings, and in the post Technical Organiziation Post-5.0. This discussion was more on the point of anticipating the challenge, moreso than addressing specific deprecations.
A few ideas were raised / recapped:
- Using script versioning such that a plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party author opts in to the newest version, dropping deprecations out of the fact that they are no longer referenced by any plugin or core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. code.
- There are significant technical challenges involved in this approach.
- More communication over that which has been part of Gutenberg’s approach to deprecations.
- More visible messaging as a “deadline” approaches (e.g. notices)
- Integrating with upgrade process for WordPress, identifying conflicts between plugins and newer versions
Transparency was noted as critical to any process changes here, particularly in education and communication in how and when these deprecations occur.
Finalizing Standards Revisions The WordPress revisions system stores a record of each saved draft or published update. The revision system allows you to see what changes were made in each revision by dragging a slider (or using the Next/Previous buttons). The display indicates what has changed in each revision.
There was a recap of comments made to the proposal, summarized as largely favorable.
The revisions are planned to be applied to the coding standards today, after a small suggested clarification is made.