This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from November 14th (agenda, Slack archive).
5.0 Planning and Updates
- We have a lot of PRs that need review, so please pick up one or two if that’s something you excel at.
- Beta 4 came out on Tuesday. There are updates to the block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. editor, internationalization, and themes. Test it, translate it, Trac An open source project by Edgewall Software that serves as a bug tracker and project management tool for WordPress. it!
- Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 4 includes Gutenberg 4.3, released on Monday.
- Accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility): all of the issues in the Merge: Accessibility milestone were fixed last week. There are still things to improve on, but there have been a lot of small accessibility fixes. Thank you to everyone who has helped keep this top of mind!
- Media: Most all issues are claimed and being worked on.
- About page: Is ready for review and can be found here.
- Design and Upgrades: We’re looking for some discussion and final thoughts on Classic Editor plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party in 5.0 and how to highlight the opportunity to stay in the Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ beta experience.
- Content: As promised a post has gone up about the release schedule as well as technical organization and deprecation policies. Docs are also just about ready for contributions.
Component and Focus Updates
- Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. PHP The web scripting language in which WordPress is primarily architected. WordPress requires PHP 5.6.20 or higher shared a meeting summary. It includes Servehappy and some general maintenance planning. Also, their meeting time has adjusted slightly to 1600 UTC.
- Core Privacy also shared their meeting summary. It includes some responses to the NTIA RFC, discussion of 5.0 considerations, and requests for review. Their meeting time has also adjusted slightly to 1900 UTC.
Announcements and Open Floor
The next meeting will take place on Wednesday, November 21 21:00 UTC in the #core Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on the upcoming agenda post so that we can take them into account.
#5-0, #a11y, #core, #core-editor, #core-js, #core-media, #core-php, #core-restapi, #dev-chat, #gutenberg, #summary, #team-reps