This post summarizes the dev chat meeting from November 7th (agenda, Slack archive). Note that the timing for this meeting will move to 2100 UTC starting Nov 14.
5.0 Planning and Updates
- We have a lot of PRs that need review, so please pick up one or two if that’s something you excel at.
- Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 3 came out on Monday. Notable updates were also published about Classic Editor plugin support and meta box compatibility.
- Patches have been issued for Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ 4.0 through 3.6 so that they automatically disable the plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party early enough in the 5.0 upgrade process.
- For the upgrade process, core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. will focus on messaging introducing the new editor on the post-upgrade page (aka the About page), while the Classic Editor plugin will be responsible for any communication encouraging users to give the new editor a try.
- From the REST API desk, we are in need of some eyes/contributions on both https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/11280 and https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues/9151
- Feature freeze on Twenty Nineteen has started, which puts all focus on these bug fixes and issues.
- We still have a few more bug scrubs coming up this week, and could use some contributors there. A new set will be posted soon, too.
Component and Focus Updates
- Core PHP is continuing work on Servehappy, and WSOD protection. https://make.wordpress.org/core/2018/11/05/php-meeting-recap-october-29th/
Announcements and Open Floor
The next meeting will take place on Wednesday, November 14 21:00 UTC in the #core Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on the upcoming agenda post so that we can take them into account.
#5-0, #a11y, #core, #core-editor, #core-js, #core-media, #core-php, #core-restapi, #dev-chat, #gutenberg, #summary, #team-reps